JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Remington 700 ADL in 30.06 that I bought years ago at Walmart. I bought it to go deer hunting and enjoyed a bit of target shooting as well.

However the only thing I do not like about it is that I really have to keep up on the maintenance because the finish is not the best.

Every firearm I have bought recently has been stainless steel and this rifle is one of my few remaining non-stainless firearms.

I have been debating picking up a Ruger American stainless rifle but this time chambered in .308. I dont have anything against the 30.06 but I have been thinking of just giving something new a try.

I would use the rifle for occasional target shooting, deer hunting and possibly elk hunting, and probably nothing over 200 yards in distance.

I dont have a problem with the Remington 700, they just do not make a lower end models in stainless and chambered in .308. Just looking for any comments.

Thanks!

I have a Ruger American in .308. I also have a fair number of other bolt actions, from 17HMR through 300 Win Mag. After about 60/70 rounds through the American it made me look like a crack rifle shot. It is the rifle that I own that is the most accurate for me, second is a CZ in 270 and thats with a single set trigger.

Your Remington is like a Shelby GT hiding in a barn. There are so many things you can do with that action if you are so inclined. Thought honestly it's like buying a house for the lot and tossing everything. Most people don't go that way.
The finish on your Remington is a fairly easy affordable upgrade. Think ~ $250 for something durable. On the other hand, Rugers are well built, classic and they have great customer service. My first rifle is a Ruger 30-06 bought back in 96. I contacted Ruger about some accuracy issues and the technician I spoke with gave me tips like thorough cleaning and tightening the action. He said if I still had trouble with factory ammo (2-3 kinds), and the rifle was not modified. I could send it in for analysis. Now that isn't a guarantee they'll fix it but I have heard they are thorough. Ruger Stainless rifles have a nice finish. I have both and enjoy shooting them. I just took my Ruger 77 Mark II stainless out of the safe and prepped it for the range.
I have a Remington 700 ADL in 30.06 that I bought years ago at Walmart. I bought it to go deer hunting and enjoyed a bit of target shooting as well.

However the only thing I do not like about it is that I really have to keep up on the maintenance because the finish is not the best.

Every firearm I have bought recently has been stainless steel and this rifle is one of my few remaining non-stainless firearms.

I have been debating picking up a Ruger American stainless rifle but this time chambered in .308. I dont have anything against the 30.06 but I have been thinking of just giving something new a try.

I would use the rifle for occasional target shooting, deer hunting and possibly elk hunting, and probably nothing over 200 yards in distance.

I dont have a problem with the Remington 700, they just do not make a lower end models in stainless and chambered in .308. Just looking for any comments.

Thanks!
So I started out with a basic Ruger 30-06 wood stock blue finish. 20+ years later it still looks good. All you need to do is keep it dry and lightly protected. My next rifle was a Ruger .308 in stainless. Thing with a .308 is it is great as a shooter but only so so as a hunting cartridge. 7-08 is better for Deer and larger calibers are better for Elk. Is your Remington getting roughed up? If not, consider keeping it as your first rifle or sell it as the Remington 700 action is very upgradeable. Think about what you really want that your 30-06 isn't perfect for and look for something ideal. From experience, the 308 isn't ideal unless it is about shooting more and hunting less considering you already have a 30 caliber rifle. Consider thinking smaller or larger caliber. Good luck, practice, and have fun.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top