JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for an inexpensive .22lr for plinking and training. I was at Bi-Mart yesterday and they had a 597 w/3x9 scope for $189. No iron sight which I thought was a bit of a bummer but I really liked the feel over the 10/22.

Any thoughts on the 597? Will I be sorry I don't just go with the crowd and buy the 10/22?

I have a 597 and I really like it. I have shot two or three Wal-Mart bulk packs with little or no problems. I bought some mags for it for about $8 a magazine + s/h.

On the negative side, some have had problems with magazines working properly. Others have had reports of problems with extraction. There are parts available to fix the extraction problem though Volqsarten (probably spelled the name wrong).

Check out this website that is a 22lr rifle forum. They have both the Ruger and the Remington on there with a lot of great info to decide what you want.

Model 597 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

I own (2) of the Remington® Model 597’s … one in .22LR and the other chambered in .22WMR, and the magazines have 'minor' feed issues! but only in my .22LR, as I’ve yet to have any issues whatsoever with the magnum cartridge.

Note: the magazines come in either ‘metal’ or ‘plastic’ design; and I’ve had FTF issues with both of them on the .22LR model; and even with the minor feed issues … it’s still a fun, inexpensive plinker! :D

DSCN6724.jpg

I'm looking for an inexpensive .22lr for plinking and training. I was at Bi-Mart yesterday and they had a 597 w/3x9 scope for $189. No iron sight which I thought was a bit of a bummer but I really liked the feel over the 10/22.

Any thoughts on the 597? Will I be sorry I don't just go with the crowd and buy the 10/22?

I love my 597, its accurate, old, reliable, and its the second firearm I bought.

That being said and done, It doesn't have the solid feel of 10/22 with a wood stock. And, there are much more aftermarket doohickeys for the 10/22. At one time it was impossible to get a hi cap mag for the 597, now, there are some available though I haven't used mine yet.

So it depends on your use, if you're going to really trick the rifle out, then go 10/22. If you want a good .22 that's accurate and you aren't gonna fiddle around with it, then go 597.

As for me, I like them both, for different reasons. ((Lol, wasn't very helpful was I?))

I love my 597, its accurate, old, reliable, and its the second firearm I bought.

That being said and done, It doesn't have the solid feel of 10/22 with a wood stock.

I enjoy my 597, too, but mine feels pretty solid.

I've had some of the magazine issues mentioned earlier, but it hasn't diminished my fun. I've mostly used it to shoot sage rats and the occasional rattle snake.

The 10/22 is a lot of fun, cheap, reliable and reasonably accurate. They can be made quite accurate with a little bit of work, and are easy and fun to work on.
Be warned though...because there is such a big aftermarket, and the 10/22 responds well to modifications, a 10/22 can go from a $200 gun to a $500 gun very quickly!

I've got about $500 in mine not including the glass or can, and it's considered a very mild build compared to most of the creations on forums like rimfirecentral.

I have a 10/22 that I have owned for about 10 years and put literally 1000's of rounds through without problems. It is dependable, accurate and fun. I recently upgraded it with a bunch of aftermarket dodads and it still runs great! I don't have any knowledge of the 597 though, that being said, everytime I have looked at another .22 rimfire rifle, I have had to say "no" due to the experience with the 10/22.

I am a remington guy but i sold that damn 597 to my bro-in-law. He still curses me and he doesn't even own it anymore. I too could not get it to feed properly. I would go with a Ruger or Marlin tube fed, it is reliable and very accurate.

I've never had issues with my 597 and I've put 600 or so rounds down range. I liked that it was lighter and I liked the ergonomics a bit more but to each their own.

In the end I'd say that if you're going to keep the rifle pretty basic I'd go with the 597. If you want to tinker with your plinker then go 10/22.

-d

I would say go with the 10/22. I have had mine for 20yrs now and it is in its third incarnation. If you get tired with it you just go get a different stock, upgrade the trigger or barrel and make it what you want it to be for that phase of your life.

I rarely go out and target practice in the woods with out atleast one of my 10/22's! I also never thought I would get into the whole aftermarket accessories scene for the 10/22... Here I am planning to build up a nicer 10/22 and my son is going to help with the build. He is quite excited to help. I probably have around 10,000 rounds through one of my 10/22's.

I don't have a lot of experience with the 597, but the little I do I prefer the Ruger over it.

I love my 597! I have put about 2500 rounds through it with almost no ftf or fte. Only time I had any problems was with ammo quality. I preferred the feel of the 597 over the 10/22. It is very accurate and a blast to shoot. Aftermarket accessories are starting to come about. The 597 is an excellent gun and It has my recommendation.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top