JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
IMG_3862.JPG I drove to Seattle the other day to pick up some parts guns I found on AL while shopping for my M1897 project and possibly restoration projects.
The whole front half of '97 is pretty rusty and pitted, but the buttstock, reciever and all the internals appear to be completely serviceable, so score! It alone would fetch way more in parts than I paid for the lot.
IMG_3865.JPG IMG_3867.JPG

part of the package included a very decent looking Remington Model 550-1 22. made in 1953.
IMG_3858.JPG IMG_3860.JPG

It was also something the guy cast aside to be parted out because he lost what he called a bag "full" of parts. I grabbed it as an afterthought, more interested in the '97, but I think I may have lucked out on this one. I noticed when I got home that it is rated for .22 short, long, and LR... I have never seen a semi-auto that made that claim before, but it has what they call a "floating chamber" that makes it possible. He told me that it wasn't cycling... that it would fire, but wouldn't eject. I had that issue figured out as soon as he handed me the bolt... The extractor was seized. a little CLP cured that in seconds. Another issue that these had was that floating chamber getting stuck, and indeed this one was as well. I stripped everything down, and cleaned it up and now it cycles great. I just have to use a punch to work the bolt, and I obviously can't shoot it until my parts come. I looked over the schematic on Numrich's website, and all that is missing is the firing pin, and the bolt handle. It appears that he took off a scope mount and the shell deflector too, probably the other parts in his lost baggy. I couldn't get the bolt to go into the action, and realized that the scope mount screws were protruding in the way, and as soon as I took them off it slid right in. The shell deflector isn't a necessity but I'm ordering one anyway. It has minimal surface rust, and the stock could use some tlc, so I plan on threading the muzzle 1/2x28, stripping it down reblueing all the ferrous parts, and refinishing the walnut stock... It should make for a nice little project.
The reason this gun is really interesting me is the fact that it can shoot shorts, longs and LRs.. and looking at the muzzle, they all too conveniently set the front sight back an inch or so. IMG_3859.JPG
It all but begs to be threaded for a suppressor!
Anybody have any experience with these things, or seen or heard of one suppressed? Looks like they are not super valuable, but it seems to be very well made. I can see how if not cared for properly, one might have reliability issues, but I think if you keep it clean and lubed it might just be a good little rifle. It's a 65 year old gun, and to me worth the money and effort to restore... even if it's just for the experience, but I wonder if it's worth threading for a can? IMG_3861.JPG IMG_3863.JPG IMG_3864.JPG IMG_3866.JPG

Great rifles, I have one that I sighted in with shorts for my son to use around the place when he was younger. I did end up replacing the firing pin as it is kind of a weak design in my opinion.

I wouldn't hesitate to thread it if I had a need to worry about noise.

I'm wondering if it will cycle those Águila super cobri rounds. If so that would be something! through a can, the trigger click is louder than the blast... semi auto would be a kick!

Pretty much any of the Tube magazine fed semi autos will run all three. I remember western auto .22's running all three. A current production Remington the 552 Speedmaster handles all three (it too is tube fed)

Model 552 BDL™ Speedmaster®

Last semi in production that does.
the 552, from what I understand, replaced 550-1, not as good in some eyes because steel was replaced with alloy to save money in production.
I don't think very many semi's run anything but LR, even tube fed.
I know my Marlin Model 60 says ".22lr Only" on the barrel. I honesty never thought to look before I bought a suppressor though. 22 shorts suppressed= mighty quiet.

Last Edited:
Not really a necessity but is the bolt plug keeper and screw also there?
I cant tell by the pic if it's under the bolt or plug. Not sure if the super colibri will cycle especially the newer production. I have some older stuff that is a little faster but never tried it in this rifle because of the length of the barrel compared to a 10/22 or the old stevens favorite I use it in. I really don't want to have to spend the time to fish out one if it doesn't make it......:eek:

Last Edited:
Not really a necessity but is the bolt plug keeper and screw also there?
I cant tell by the pic if it's under the bolt or plug. Not sure if the super colibri will cycle especially the newer production. I have some older stuff that is a little faster but never tried it in this rifle because of the length of the barrel compared to a 10/22 or the old stevens favorite I use it in. I really don't want to have to spend the time to fish out one if it doesn't make it......:eek:
I'm not sure which keeper and screw you are referring to...
What # on the chart?
4156883B-6E23-4056-91D2-1C51E8009BF0-400-00000183451B437F_tmp.jpg

What # on the chart?

#47 Keeps the plug from backing out.

also need 48,49 screw and washer.

I just ordered one because of the plug backing out and having to keep an eye on it.

Last Edited:
What # on the chart?

You have it, its in the end behind the trigger, yes it kinda sounds like a ratchet as it tightens. Acts kinda like a lock to keep pressure on the threads so it doesn't back out. The one I have that I ordered one for I got in a trade and it was missing.

These are very good rifles...Its when they are dirty is when they jam up.
Do proper cleaning after shooting and you will be fine with shorts , longs or Long Rifle ammo.
Sound like you have some fun project guns ....looking forward to seeing them when you are done.
Andy

I'm wondering if it will cycle those Águila super cobri round.
I would guess, because anything is possible, that those rounds will NOT work in Rifles of this Barrel length. The SC round doesn't have any powder, they are strictly powered by the priming charge. It's very likely you'll end up with a bullet stuck in the barrel.:):):)

If you decide to thread this barrel you should also re-crown it. More than one of the older .22 Rimfire Guns were in need because of being dropped.

These are very good rifles...Its when they are dirty is when they jam up.
Do proper cleaning after shooting and you will be fine with shorts , longs or Long Rifle ammo.
Sound like you have some fun project guns ....looking forward to seeing them when you are done.
Andy
They seem to be piling up... I aspire to be a gunsmith when I grow up, so I'm trying to get some experience on my own stuff.

OK. I found some STUPID... if you don't have time to watch the whole vid... fast forward to 4:50. dude stands over a ballistic gel block to film while his buddy shoots it!

Stupid aside, I was looking at the colibrí's and super colibrí's, and I measured the thickest part of the bullet to be only .080 long, so even in a longer barrel, that doesn't seem like it would a lot of area to cause enough friction to slow it down too much... I will of course have to try it out when my project is complete. I have a strong feeling Santa is getting me a chronograph for Christmas;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top