JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I am picking up from a buddy I do trades with a Remington 512 Sportmaster 22LR.
They were made I think from 1943 - 1969 I am not sure of markings to check year yet.
I am for sure buying it already committed to it unless its broke somewhere have yet to inspect it.
But he said its in very good condition. Its tube fed and shoots 22short, 22long and 22LR not sure what else.
We have other 22LR but this is my first bolt 22lr in years other then a Savage I got a few years ago and eventually gave to my oldest. Anyway this is the actual picture of it taken today.
Wanted a bolt action to save on ammo and this appears like one I would keep not ever sell, like my sons 1982 Marlin 60 that is near mint given to him by his great grandpa before he passed in 2011.

Anyways wonder if anyone has had any of these and what you thought.

12366359_10201150102032592_381108749569483464_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one and traded it off a year ago. I liked it and it was a straight shooter, but I didn't want to alter it by threading the muzzle for a suppressor.
Here is an article that I used to clean up the trigger, as they tend to be a little heavy.

"There is not much you can do to your rifle to "tune" it, but a couple of things will help. The first is to polish the sear surface where it contacts the cocking piece. On your gun it is the firing pin itself. The bottom edge catches on the sear as you close the bolt and cocks it. Also polish the lip on the firing pin where it contacts the sear. Use a very fine file and then a ceramic stone. Remove all sharp edges and get the surfaces as smooth as possible, but be careful to not change the angle enough to cause them to not engage. The best thing is to try to keep the angles the same as they are and make them as smooth as glass. The next thing is to replace the trigger spring with a lighter one. A longer, lighter spring will remove any creep and reduce the pull weight.

Any wet lubricants should be avoided on a rimfire gun. The 22 LR is the dirtiest cartridge there is and oil or grease attract dust, dirt and carbon. Use one of the Moly Dry Lubes. It will go on wet and dry to a gray film. Wipe the film off and you are left with a very slippery surface. Do the inside of the receiver and the bolt, trigger and any other parts you can get to.

Soaking the bolt helps to remove old grease, but it can also "gum" up the inside if everything is not cleaned out. It is best to disassemble it to clean all pieces. The following link will take you to a schematic for your rifle.

http://www.urban-armory.com/diagrams/rem510.htm

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/firearms-...gton-model-512-sportmaster.html#ixzz3uGk2uRkf

I had one and traded it off a year ago. I liked it and it was a straight shooter, but I didn't want to alter it by threading the muzzle for a suppressor.Here is an article that I used to clean up the trigger, as they tend to be a little heavy.
"There is not much you can do to your rifle to "tune" it, but a couple of things will help. The first is to polish the sear surface where it contacts the cocking piece. On your gun it is the firing pin itself. The bottom edge catches on the sear as you close the bolt and cocks it. Also polish the lip on the firing pin where it contacts the sear. Use a very fine file and then a ceramic stone. Remove all sharp edges and get the surfaces as smooth as possible, but be careful to not change the angle enough to cause them to not engage. The best thing is to try to keep the angles the same as they are and make them as smooth as glass. The next thing is to replace the trigger spring with a lighter one. A longer, lighter spring will remove any creep and reduce the pull weight.
Any wet lubricants should be avoided on a rimfire gun. The 22 LR is the dirtiest cartridge there is and oil or grease attract dust, dirt and carbon. Use one of the Moly Dry Lubes. It will go on wet and dry to a gray film. Wipe the film off and you are left with a very slippery surface. Do the inside of the receiver and the bolt, trigger and any other parts you can get to.
Soaking the bolt helps to remove old grease, but it can also "gum" up the inside if everything is not cleaned out. It is best to disassemble it to clean all pieces. The following link will take you to a schematic for your rifle.
http://www.urban-armory.com/diagrams/rem510.htm
Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/firearms-...gton-model-512-sportmaster.html#ixzz3uGk2uRkf

Very informative information thanks. I was reading up on the sear on these at times can be quirky but the work you suggest is good stuff. The trigger sounds like a good idea too. I do light smith on most of my firearms so doing the extra stuff sounds like fun.
I am getting it pretty reasonable, and might add one of the peep scopes they had on some of these 512's. Thanks for the information.

I was at an estate sale a couple of years ago and picked up 3 original new in box Lyman peep sights for this rifle. I mounted one and sold the other two on eBay.
The sale more then paid for the gun.
The barrels are long (25") but when coupled with a peep sight or scope can really be accurate with the right ammo.

Fine old rifle! My buddy had one, passed by his dad. When my friend died the Remington and a couple of other guns disappeared! I think you will like it!

All of the 500 series Remingtons are very high quality rifles from the hey day of Remington Quality.

I have owned the 510 Target master 552 semi auto and still own the 572 pump Fieldmaster

I regret selling the 510 and the 552 a LOT.

I have a 511 which is the box magazine version.
As stated earlier the 500 series are excellent rifles.
Mine shoots very nicely , I have a leupold 4x on it now , but might switch to a NECG peep.
The bolt handles sometimes work loose , but its an easy fix , to stake a pin and epoxy.
Andy

Mine is the 511 model also, 1949 vintage. Remington called it the "clip fed" version. This one is my second, as the first was stolen 35 years ago or so.
My first one was my first rifle and many a digger died off the end of that one.
Great gun. I hope your trigger is better than mine though.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top