JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
wrong forum, but I bet it was rechambered for a different caliber. Those rifles are/were popular for doing this. The only way I would advise you determining the caliber is to take it to a competent gunsmith or work with a friend that is EXTREMELY knowledgeable about firearms. I would consider that rifle unsafe until the caliber and headspace have been measured accurately.

wrong forum, but I bet it was rechambered for a different caliber. Those rifles are/were popular for doing this. The only way I would advise you determining the caliber is to take it to a competent gunsmith or work with a friend that is EXTREMELY knowledgeable about firearms. I would consider that rifle unsafe until the caliber and headspace have been measured accurately.

Thank you. It seems to have the original sights so I was concerned. I will take it to the gunsmith. I already had a 30.06 and thought this was going to be simple for her to shoot but nothing is simple when you loose your dad. Thanks

Sorry about the loss.

The remington 1917 is a great gun!!! And quite strong. Many of them have been rechambered for different callabers.
Are there any markings on the barrel? The original barrel should have the flaming bomb stamped on it..
The wings for the rear peep sight are still there?

If the flaming bomb and the wings are still there it is usualy intication its never been reworked.

However, there were a few that were left overs after the war that remington then put different barrels on and sold in the commercial side. Not many, and they then came out with the model 30.
Even then, most were 30-06
My model 30 is by far my favorite 30-06!!

As with any old gun you are not familure with I as well endorse going to a good smith that is knowledge able in older guns and have it looked at.

I have built a couple on these actions. 35 whelen and 30-338 as well as a couple 30-06. Have shot one that was remade into a 416 rigby!

Enjoy it!!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top