Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Remington 1917

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by homecreator, Feb 16, 2013.

1. homecreator

homecreator Jonesville New Member

My wife inherited a Remington 1917 which I thought was a 30.06 Enfield. It would not accept my 30.06 rounds I had here at home. Any thoughts on this anyone.

2. jimwest

jimwest Seattle New Member

wrong forum, but I bet it was rechambered for a different caliber. Those rifles are/were popular for doing this. The only way I would advise you determining the caliber is to take it to a competent gunsmith or work with a friend that is EXTREMELY knowledgeable about firearms. I would consider that rifle unsafe until the caliber and headspace have been measured accurately.

3. homecreator

homecreator Jonesville New Member

Thank you. It seems to have the original sights so I was concerned. I will take it to the gunsmith. I already had a 30.06 and thought this was going to be simple for her to shoot but nothing is simple when you loose your dad. Thanks

4. jimwest

jimwest Seattle New Member

Sorry to hear about losing your father-in-law.

5. gehrheart

gehrheart fidalgo island Well-Known Member

Sorry about the loss.

The remington 1917 is a great gun!!! And quite strong. Many of them have been rechambered for different callabers.
    Are there any markings on the barrel? The original barrel should have the flaming bomb stamped on it..
    The wings for the rear peep sight are still there?

If the flaming bomb and the wings are still there it is usualy intication its never been reworked.

However, there were a few that were left overs after the war that remington then put different barrels on and sold in the commercial side. Not many, and they then came out with the model 30.
    Even then, most were 30-06
    My model 30 is by far my favorite 30-06!!

As with any old gun you are not familure with I as well endorse going to a good smith that is knowledge able in older guns and have it looked at.

I have built a couple on these actions. 35 whelen and 30-338 as well as a couple 30-06. Have shot one that was remade into a 416 rigby!

Enjoy it!!

6. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Could have crud or rust in the chamber as well. I agree, take it to a good smith

7. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Welcome aboard! Sorry for you and your wife's loss.

8. Silver Hand

Silver Hand Southern Oregon Coast Well-Known Member

You can simply clean the weapon well and do a cerrosafe chamber cast. Then compare the cast with known results [bullets].
    It is not something that can go very wrong if you just read and follow the instructions.
    This is what your gun smith is going to do once you bring in the job.

CERROSAFEĀ® CHAMBER CASTING ALLOY | Brownells

Hope this helps and I am sorry for your loss.
    Silver Hand