JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am being offered a Remington 1903A4 as a trade for a non-firearm related item. I value my end of the deal at ~$1100-$1200. The other party claims the 1903A4 is worth slightly more than that, but willing to trade straight across. I am clueless when it comes to WWII era rifles and need some help determining if his rifle is a fair trade for my item. Here is what I know from exchanging emails with the guy.

Original 1903A4 (not replica)
Original scope mounts were removed long time ago but comes with 6x50 range finding scope (see picture)
Rifle was restocked at some point
I was sent this posting from gunbroker as a comparable 1903A4 : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

This is all I know for now. What else do I need to know to be able to determine its current fair value? Are their any experts in the greater PDX area who could appraise it for me if I take it to them? What is your opinion on its value? The gentleman is local and appears sincere in his emails. He might be even on this forum.

IMG_20130708_054934.jpg

If he is offering the original stock and scope mount, then his gunbroker comparo is valid.
If he doesn't, then he's off by a bit, I'd say.

The one on gunbroker appears to be unmolested, and retains considerable value as a collector piece as a result.
His on the other hand, suffers from "sporterization devaluation."
Which amounts to more than his claim(s) IMO.

Jamie, thanks for the input. I asked for the original parts as well and they are long gone. Honestly, I will most likely turn around and sell the rifle as I am more interested in cash to invest in other projects. Even with the aforementioned "sporterization devaluation", what can I expect to be able to sell this rifle for? Again, I am just looking for opinions and nothing more.

If the 1903A4 is not in its original stock does not have its original sights then it is nothing but a sporter made from a very valuable collectable. If the photo you posted is of the rifle he is offering then it has had holes drilled in the receiver and it has NO COLLECTORS VALUE except as parts.

A nice Sporter with a very good barrel is worth under $400.00 if the scope can carry $100.00 in value by itself.

If the 1903A4 is not in its original stock does not have its original sights then it is nothing but a sporter made from a very valuable collectable. If the photo you posted is of the rifle he is offering then it has had holes drilled in the receiver and it has NO COLLECTORS VALUE except as parts.

A nice Sporter with a very good barrel is worth under $400.00 if the scope can carry $100.00 in value by itself.

I'm thinking this^^^

The gun would have had considerable value if unmolested and in the original stock. Even in an sporter stock, if the metal was unaltered (no holes drilled, etc) the value would go up, but I still feel it's far short of his estimated value.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top