JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My wife got me a Remington .177 break action pellet rifle for Christmas. It came with a 4x32 scope, and I got some premium hollow point pellets for it. I tried seriously sighting it in today for the first time, since the starlings are becoming a real nuisance around the farm. At 50 feet, by the time I got done, the last group of 5 shots was dead on center and could be covered with a dime. Pellets go through half inch plywood like you'd expect from a .22 LR rifle. I'm seriously pleased with this thing. I nailed 4 starlings with it this afternoon, the last two being off hand, and at 25 yards and 45 yards respectively. Now, I'm a fair shot, and I'd expect to be able to do that with a .22 LR rifle, but I didn't expect this kind of accuracy or range out of a pellet gun. For $150 I'm very impressed. The only things I don't like about it are the clunky safety mechanism, and the fact that it probably weighs 8 or 9 pounds.

While hunting for .22LR at Bi-Mart, I was surprised to see they carry this. Fit & finish quality seemed very high. A step up from the Ruger Air Hawk I've also been considering.
Let us know how the scope holds up. I've read that the included scope often fails on these break barrel springers. Some don't even make it to 30 shots.

Last Edited:
Well, accuracy went all to hell, and looks like the crosshairs have rotated slightly. Looks like the scope is toast. Maybe 300 shots.:(

Well that sucks. I never really liked any sort of scope on a springer.. preferring factory irons but especially some aftermarket peeps. A peep sight is as (to/for me, more so) accurate as a scope and they don't fail.

http://www.pyramydair.com/a/Accessories/Open_target_sights/69

Williams-Diopter-Sight_AV-B70809.jpg

Bummer. 300 shots from a combo pack scope is probably not too bad. Might be able to get a free replacement under warranty by contacting Remington customer service. Most airguns have a 1-year warranty. Could put the replacement onto another, non break-barrel gun or rimfire.

I already ordered a replacement.

Optisan Cobra Rifle Scope 3-9x42 Mil Dot 1" Tube

$_57.JPG

$109.00 plus shipping

Guaranteed to survive on a spring action, break barrel type air rifle.

I'm not anxious to deal with Remington customer service. I've had months-long conversations with them before. I'll probably give it a try, but meantime I'm going with a better product that has an absolute guarantee.

I know what you mean about peep sights. That was the solution on my Remington rolling block rifle. I couldn't afford $1500 for a period, antique scope, but a couple hundred for a period Marble's peep sight worked out just fine. If I'd thought of it I'd probably have gone that way for the air rifle. These old eyes won't work with iron sights anymore, but they do just fine with a scope or peep sights. I used to shoot small bore indoor (.22LR) matches with a bolt action target rifle, and the most accurate legal sights for that were peep sights.

I shoot a .22 Crosman Nitro Venom with a UTG 40mm red/green dot on it. You will be surprised how accurate they can be. Makes hunting varmints or starlings a piece of cake. $50 from Pyramyd Air.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top