JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My brother has a 12 gauge Remington Shotgun , pump action, vent rib that will use 2 3/4 and 3" shells. He is looking for a short legal barrel of around 20" to have as an extra around the house. I could not find if it is an 870, 11-87 or an 1100 model anywhere on the barrel or gun. I looked at the Remington Barrel site but did not find a conclusive answer I could understand there. I believe the gun was purchased in the mid 80's, but maybe a bit later.

My questions are, will an 870 barrel fit this shotgun or will it need an 1100 barrel or is it an off breed that needs a " sporsman" barrel? Are they interchangeable ? The other question is where can I find him a reasonably priced 12 ga legal barrel of about 20" that is capable of home defense to fit this gun?

MM in Vancouver

Last Edited:
well, if its a pump it will not use an 1100 or 11-87 barrel. From my googling it appears that the sportsman was the predecessor to the 870 Express, so an 870 barrel might work. I would see if you can find someone with an 870 shotgun that would let you see if the barrels will swap. It only takes a minute or 2 to pop a barrel off one of them to check and see. As for a 20" barrel, check out mossberg. They make some inexpensive barrels for the 870. Or if you can't find on to your liking/budget, you can always find a non-ribbed barrel and cut it down. I have done this a couple times and its not terrible to do, but you do need some tools to make it easier.

Hi " The Cheese"

Thanks for the help and info.

I have an 870 express and I take it down to clean it every time I use it. I'll just bring the barrel down to Portland and check out if it swaps right out. The cap and ring that hold the barrel in place on both guns looked very similar to me last night. As for cutting a barrel down to size, I used to be a machinist in my past life... should be able to do that. And thanks for directing me to Mossberg for manufactured barrels, as I'd rather get a manufactured barrel than try to find one to cut off.

I'll post again in a few days to let those interested know whether the 870 barrel fits on a sportsman.

Thanks, MM

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top