JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
RIP Guys....

"FEARLESS FRED"

16542_205_188_199_57_150283.jpg

FEARLESS FRED
Jim Flurry was someone who was just plain memorable.
I had the pleasure of flying with Jim allot when he was
new to our unit. Jim was a Scout Pilot for C trp. 7/17th Air
Cavalry and I was a Crew Chief/Observer in the OH-6A Light
Observation Helicopter.

It didn't take long for us to nickname Jim "Fearless Fred" (why not fearless jim? I don't know I guess Fearless Fred sounded better).

He had a steadiness and an outward calmness you just couldn't miss. I'm sure he was doing a bit of churning inside,
like all of us, under some adverse conditions, but you sure couldn't tell it to look at him.
Every pilot had there own style and Jim's was fearless! LOW AND SLOW he'd be there getting the job done as it was supposed to be done.

I think of Jim often

Dan Townsend
C Troop 7/17th. Air Cavalry Scouts 1968-1969

IMG_26680175079144.jpg

ED POWERS

Powers-Eddie.jpg

DISTINGUISHED FLYING CROSS CITATION
AWARDED FOR ACTIONS
DURING Vietnam War
Service: Army
GENERAL ORDERS:
Headquarters, II Field Force Vietnam, General Orders No. 1469 (June 13, 1969)

CITATION:
The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 2, 1926, takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished Flying Cross to First Lieutenant (Armor) Edward C. Powers (ASN: 0-5261254), United States Army, for heroism while participating in aerial flight evidenced by voluntary action above and beyond the call of duty on 20 March 1969 while serving as a helicopter pilot with the 3rd Squadron, 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment, in the Republic of Vietnam. On this date while piloting the squadron commander's aircraft during a fierce engagement between friendly elements and a large enemy force, Lieutenant Powers repeatedly directed the helicopter in low level passes over the contact area so that the squadron commander could pinpoint the hostile positions and direct the ground forces in their assault. When it became imperative that the squadron commander assume direct command of the round forces, Lieutenant Powers, unhesitatingly maneuvered his aircraft through the intense hostile automatic weapons fire into an extremely small and hazardous landing zone. When the commander had disembarked, Lieutenant Powers had a seriously wounded soldier loaded on board and, again flying through a deluge of enemy fire, flew him to a nearby medical facility. After returning to the scene of the engagement, Lieutenant Powers again landed his helicopter in an extremely small landing zone next to a burning tank and, in spite of the possibility of an explosion, waited until the squadron commander, who had himself become a casualty, was loaded on board. Lieutenant Powers then quickly and safely evacuated the wounded officer. First Lieutenant Powers' outstanding courage and selfless concern for the welfare of his fellow soldiers were in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the United States Army.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top