JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
During the battle between the "coastal developers" and the meaningful tightening of zoning laws in the Gov Tom McCall era, Bayocean was used as example by both sides as to what "SHOULD happen" vs the reality of inadequate recognition of fundamental forces. My lesson learned, was to not build my house below the high tide line.

During the battle between the "coastal developers" and the meaningful tightening of zoning laws in the Gov Tom McCall era, Bayocean was used as example by both sides as to what "SHOULD happen" vs the reality of inadequate recognition of fundamental forces. My lesson learned, was to not build my house below the high tide line.

It's amazing the homes that have been built on the spit at Waldport. It's like a "Bay Ocean II" !

My lesson learned, was to not build my house below the high tide line.

Even though I've seen floods before, it wasn't until 96 that I really took note of low lying areas around water. Also shortly after that I started to see homes built in those areas. Not for me! No low lying areas, and no hillside builds. They may offer great views, but a flooded house or one that slid down the hillside isn't where I want to live.

Even though I've seen floods before, it wasn't until 96 that I really took note of low lying areas around water. Also shortly after that I started to see homes built in those areas. Not for me! No low lying areas, and no hillside builds. They may offer great views, but a flooded house or one that slid down the hillside isn't where I want to live.
Every time I read about some "tragic news" where homes built in a place anyone with a brain can see is bad I have to wonder. How the hell did they ever get insurance? Some times it's some "act of god" no one saw but, often its something that when I would look would say no way in hell I would buy a home there.

Speaking of Waldport, the status of the homes built on the 'not exactly a spit' area just north of the bridge & take the first left turn to the West, is an entire area of moving sand dunes, that travel across the pavement, the homes, & whatever dreams those people had. While it 'seemed' to be above the tidal risk, there was an active field of sand dunes. We used to drive down & around to see what had happened since our last coastal visit. Some of the yes, NEWLY built homes over the last 20 years, had been virtually covered with sand between our last tour of discovery. An entire largish sub-division where a row of otherwise normal houses were randomly invaded by a few in their midst, of mounds of drifting sand, from knee deep to burying the front door. Granted we quit taking in the sights about a decade ago, perhaps they have found a solution.

I don't know anything about their zoning, possible variance, or local bribery laws. There are no waterline level housing in that area that I would rent over night let alone purchase. And the very survival of many in the 'old town Waldport' area on the South bank is notable, its not for me.

Speaking of Waldport, the status of the homes built on the 'not exactly a spit' area just north of the bridge & take the first left turn to the West, is an entire area of moving sand dunes, that travel across the pavement, the homes, & whatever dreams those people had. While it 'seemed' to be above the tidal risk, there was an active field of sand dunes. We used to drive down & around to see what had happened since our last coastal visit. Some of the yes, NEWLY built homes over the last 20 years, had been virtually covered with sand between our last tour of discovery. An entire largish sub-division where a row of otherwise normal houses were randomly invaded by a few in their midst, of mounds of drifting sand, from knee deep to burying the front door. Granted we quit taking in the sights about a decade ago, perhaps they have found a solution.

I don't know anything about their zoning, possible variance, or local bribery laws. There are no waterline level housing in that area that I would rent over night let alone purchase. And the very survival of many in the 'old town Waldport' area on the South bank is notable, its not for me.

I was trying to remember, and couldn't, those spendy homes they built high on a bluff over looking the ocean around, Neskowin, maybe? Pacific City? The ocean was just doing it's thing, with winter storms taking out the foot of the bluff. A few homes slid down the hill. Turned out developers were stoopid/paid off geologists/scammed/got scammed. Something shady somewhere. Ah, yeah, "The Capes" in Ocean Side.

Classic example of bad judgment destroying hopes & dreams while eating a bank account. Wonder where the former proud owners are now, as well as the various grifters, agents & enabling bureaucrats :cool:

What happened with them? I don't think I ever did anything but drive right on by that place on 101. Went into the store right next to the highway, once I think.

Nothing has really happened. Lots of houses on a strip of sand nearly identical to Bayocean Spit. Sand spits on the ocean are too often temporary. We think it's safe because some spits last longer than others.

When it does wash away, then we will again blame the Corps of Engineers for not building a jetty.:confused:

Last Edited:
Wow, just picked up a big hardback book out of a thrift store for 1.09......title is ghost towns of the West. Will look for this one

Here's one for you to look up. "Mercur Utah" When I was young the family go out in that area and gather pine nuts. Then later we road motorcycles all over the area. Then during/after high school me and buddies rabbit hunted in the area.

Bayocean Spit...
Bayocean-Spit-today-photo-by-Grants-Getaways.jpg

Salishan Spit...
regon-coast-circa-2017-aerial-shot-of-the-salishan.png

Have we learned nothing?

In Massachusetts, beachfront developments that have existed much longer than on the west coast, are losing the battle against the ocean.
O2-OS5-LSAA4-I6-JHOERTX5-RLOUFM.jpg

And even in Southern California, every new rich person to build a house on the beach thinks he's immune from the oceans fury.
la-me-sea-level-rise-pictures-003.jpg

These two views are the same beach, 40 years apart.
BROADBEACH_EROSION.png

Last Edited:
I'm a native and know quite a few of the ghost towns, particularly in eastern Oregon. Visited more than a few.
Same here - as well as finding small, previously settled areas with no names or on a map.

I might have to make a trip to Bayocean for a weekend of metal detecting in this area!

Checking on Google earth, right about the middle of the spit's length there can be seen some strange anomalies in the sand. One is square and looks like it could have been a foundation. It also looks like it's a popular equestrian area. I may have to get my daughter to take me there with horses for a little exploring.

Look what has happened to Willipa Bay Wa!
Still a beautiful area, but there is nothing there now! We looked at buying and building on the bay as the prices were still reasonable, but there is No support, nothing!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top