JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
No? If, like me, you are fascinated by the history, long-gone or recent, of the beautiful PNW, then watch this fascination glimpse of a long-lost dream of one man - the Tillamook Bay resort of Bayocean...and it's inevitable demise.

Weird. I'm a native and know quite a few of the ghost towns, particularly in eastern Oregon. Visited more than a few. Even lived in one that was, technically, a ghost town, but I can assure the dear reader some of us lived there. Bayocean? Never heard of it until this thread.

No? If, like me, you are fascinated by the history, long-gone or recent, of the beautiful PNW, then watch this fascination glimpse of a long-lost dream of one man - the Tillamook Bay resort of Bayocean...and it's inevitable demise.

I have seen the remains of the pool when the sand washes out.
And the spit is a nice hike.

Bayocean, or what used to be...

Spent lots of time fishing and hunting there.:D

Bay-Ocean-Sign-1024x768.jpg

articl1.jpg

Mother Nature is merciless.

Last Edited:
That was our favorite beach to go to when we lived in the valley. Not a lot of locals and the tourists did not want to drive out that narrow 6 mile road from Tillamook. We could go out there and not be bothered by the hordes of tourists. Not a lot or parking out there now.

I heard about Bayocean last year. I wish I'd heard about it before Dad passed away. He was native to the Portland-Estacada area and spent a lot of time at Gearhart when he was a kid.

Used to fish at Mears lake at the base of the peninsula where Bayocean was located. I think Mears lake might have been partly formed due to the ocean breaking through the spit/peninsula in the 50's? I remember stories of Bayocean from my Grandmother.

That was VERY interesting to read. I had never heard of this either.
Ditto.

Kind of reminds me of the mining town Morenci, AZ near the NM border. Back in the (I think) early 70s they needed to start a new pit so they buried the whole town and built a new one on top. I saw pictures of the old town in its heyday and from later when they started stripping the public buildings (fixtures, furniture, etc).

It's crazy to think that theres a WHOLE TOWN underneath the "new" town. And what adds to the Twilight-Zone vibe is that the new town looks like a 70s time-warp... like the whole town was built in the same year... cuz it pretty much was... wild stuff.

Thanks for posting.

Yes, build a city between the ocean and a major estuary, what could go wrong?
Gubments' fault for sure...
:s0140:

I love ghost towns, I'm glad to have my intrigue sparked. I'll put it on the list for this summer, I skipped it last year because the road out looks rough. Supposedly Meares lake has some good fishing tho.

Just saw the story/film on OPB. Known about it for years but never knew the real story. I found it particularly sad the way it ended up for Francis Drake Mitchell. The OPB story really focused on him and his obsession with keeping the town alive at all costs. He ended up beating his wife, got committed to The Oregon State Hospital, and spent the rest of his life there. :(

Over here in yUK we don't have ghost towns, just dozens of ghost villages that were left uninhabited by the ravages of the Black Death in the 13th and 14th centuries. There are a few in Cornwall where the tin mines were, that died away when the mines ran out, and that's it.

Oh, and Dunwich, on the east coast.

There are a couple of villages that were taken over by the Army for training purposes in WW2 that have never been returned to their proper use, but since they ARE in use for military training they can't proper;y be called a ghost village

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top