JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought a used 870 express. The barrel has a rem choke. If I slide a piece of hard wire with a little 1/4" bend in the end to make a 90 degree hook I can catch it on either the bottom of the rem choke or a space between the end of the remchoke and the shoulder in the barrel. Is this normal?

the edge of the choke is even with the muzzle. As to removing it well thats a problem. I guess I need to make a tool. Since its really in there tight.

I assume a 12ga bronze cleaning brush would do to clean the threads if I rotate it in the choke recess.

I'll report back when I get it out.

This is normal and I just checked my own 870. What you are catching the wire on is actually the shoulder of the 'flat' on the inside of the barrel where the bottom of the choke sleeve bottoms out on. The diameter of the bottom of the choke is a few thou smaller than the shoulder so the shot will pass smoothly past the transition on it's way out prior to actually becoming 'choked'. Still a good idea to remove the sleeve and make sure all is well but I would recommend getting the prescribed spanner wrench as it contacts all four slots of the sleeve evenly.

This question (and the answers offered) are an excellent opportunity to show why it is important that screw-in chokes (and barrels in which they reside) be maintained regularly. They should be removed after each significant shooting session (certainly after trap or skeet), the threads cleaned and lubricated (barrel AND choke) prior to reinstalling.

They are showing up even on economical shotguns now, and the general treatment is that they are left in the gun all the time until one decides a different choke setting is desired. This results in very difficult removal and failure to completely thread in to bottom when installed, as a result of grime (from powder, shot, or wad material). They are NOT a maintenance-free device.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top