JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am in the process of buying my first long range/hunting rifle in .308. I realize that each of these product lines has many models. But, IN GENERAL, what are your opinions on accuracy, quality and ruggedness/longevity of these rifles? Thanks.

Toss up on accuracy, quality of design goes to Remington (I don't like the bolt design of the Savage), longevity is probably a toss-up. If you want to play kitchen gunsmith and swap barrels and the like, then you can play with the Savage...

I like my Remington. I like my Howa 1500's. Those would be my choices...

From my experience the accuracy is probably about the same. After market favors Remington. I prefer Remington, I think they are just a bit more polished, at least the higher end models from my limited experience. Both are capable of .5 to .75 out of the box on higher end models. I have owned a VS and currently own a 5R, both will shoot 5 shoots inside a dime. Both had aftermarket triggers tho, and that's money well spent.

I am a Savage fan due to the ease of swapping bolt bodies, bolt heads and just calibers in general. The Remington definitely has more in terms of aftermarket but the Savage doesn't need the aftermarket. I really like the Accutrigger and it is as good as most competition triggers if you set it light enough. The only reason i would even look at a Remington is just to get an AICS but they have come out with those for Savage. You can do barrels yourself, bolt handles dont need to be smithed and I actually passed on a dirt cheap NEW 700 because the action wasnt as smooth as my Savage rifles.

Savage: Ugly yet effective.

I own several 700's and like them just fine. That said, I'm not sure how their quality is right now. They had some trouble a year or two ago. Mine are 5-10 years old. I did have a 700 in .223 that I got rid of because it never met my accuracy expectations, even with hand loads. It was sub MOA with my loads most of the time but for $1200 I expected 1/2 MOA. Factory ammo ranged from 1.5-2.0 MOA.

Either one is probably a good choice. Right now, I think I'd ignore the ugly and buy the Savage. My experience is that more often than not they're very accurate rifles. Just my opinion.

I have both and enjoy shooting both, however a funny thing happens when I favor one gun.

I'll shoot my Mosin a ton, and not touch another bolt rifle. The bolt is clunky and tough sometimes, but I get use to it. Then I will pick up my Savage and the bolt is a dream to shoot compared to the Mosin. A few weeks later I'll grab the 700 and realize how silky smooth the bolt action is compared to the Savage!! Out of the three the 700 has the nicest action. I have read up on polishing the Savage bolt to get things to be more smooth, but never done it.

Regardless, either will make a great rifle. The 700 has a more aftermarket support, but the Savage's is growing. If you're a tinkerer like I am, the Savage is great, most if not all of the work can be done at home with a few specialty tools. With a 700 at the very least you're going to need a lathe and experience. The Savages are typically cheaper as well, you can get more gun for less money.

Been a Savage fan since the 60's Good solid never a problem rifles with excellent barrels made from excellent steel. Bang for the buck the best you can buy.

Check out what the Savage long range rifle team does with off the shelf rifles.

Flip a coin. Both great guns, AI has the AICS out for Savage now and that was really the only thing in the extra's game Remington had that Savage didn't. remington will have a nicer bolt throw, beyond that is preference.

I have a Rem 700 XCRII in .30-06. I can shoot it MOA off sand bags with factory rounds, so it'll likely do better. I like the feel of the stock trigger, very little overtravel, even less creep. Fit and finish seem good, except for one spot. There was a sizeable burr on the edge of the threads that the rear guard screw goes into (rear of the receiver). This in-and-of-itself doesn't affect function in any way, but it worries me that maybe that's not the only spot. :s0131: Can't speak for the Savage.

Accuracy is a toss up, fit and finish goes to Remington. Both are well made rifles. I strongly recommend that you at least handle examples of both rifles, and other brands as well! Rifles fit people differently and people like different handling characteristics. Try 'em all!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top