JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Is it a rather saleable rifle nowadays ?

• Total voters
Reactions
I got this long ago in the 1980s and it is all original with a decent 4-12 scope. Since it is a 660 Remington in 222 Rem, I understand they are harder to locate in good shape and make a good varmint gun. But groundhogs or coyotes in VA are not my interest any longer.

Trivia about that cartridge (easy and cheap to reload as well as to carry) :
Triple Deuce Trivia...

First rimless .22 (1950 US)
30-06 dimensions scaled down
Most inherently accurate production cartridge until the PPC

DSC07622.JPG DSC07623.JPG DSC07624.JPG DSC07625.JPG

Last Edited:
I would almost answer this both ways. I think it would be fine for that purpose but I also think that most people ain't interested if it ain't an AR. Personally, I would rather have the "Original" 600 in .308 with the Laminate Stock, like I had many years ago, but then to each his own.

Last Edited:
222 is still a good caliber for varmints. There are some [mostly] old guys that will pay a little extra for a good one. If I wanted to sell one Id look to advertise it on National sites, or the largest Varmint sites. Good luck DR

They are great rifles, but it is pretty specialized. I predict that you can sell it for a good price, but you'll have to advertise it patiently until you find the right coyote hunter. :)

IIRC, the Remington's can be rechambered for .223.

That's true, in fact, the first Remington 600 I fired had been re-chambered to the .223 Remington by an Air Farce Armorer because he had access to the Ammo, as in ALL the Ammunition he could carry. He had mounted a Target Scope(36X if I remember) and we "Exploded" Crows and the random :rolleyes:Seagrill that came out to help with clean-up.

A few years later I got to taste:mad: a Seagrill and decided that blowing them up as a Target was a much better use than eating one would be.

They are great rifles, but it is pretty specialized. I predict that you can sell it for a good price, but you'll have to advertise it patiently until you find the right coyote hunter. :)

Yes, although it would be blasphemy to do so.
.222 is the pure, parent cartridge.
.223/5.56 was the compromise to meet the gummint specification.

Yes, although it would be blasphemy to do so.
.222 is the pure, parent cartridge.
.223/5.56 was the compromise to meet the gummint specification.
I can't disagree with you but then I know that more than one person is going to look at the .222 (7 current offerings) and compare that to the .223 (93 current offerings) all of which are less expensive and more than one is likely to say something about the fact that they already own an AR so what do they need with a .222! Especially in a Bolt Action!

I can't disagree with you but then I know that more than one person is going to look at the .222 (7 current offerings) and compare that to the .223 (93 current offerings) all of which are less expensive and more than one is likely to say something about the fact that they already own an AR so what do they need with a .222! Especially in a Bolt Action!
Correct.
They should just move along and let the professionals handle it.

:)

KKG and Direct Drive may be on to something.... I live in Richmond, VA and a lot of surrounding counties have coyotes and groundhogs. And Virginia is a fairly 'moneyed' state ('old money'), so there may be some fellows who seldom even see a .222, let alone a nice one like mine, to have for varmint removal. I will find the Virginia gun boards and try to locate a buyer in a neighboring area to sell the Remington 660 to...

Last Edited:
KKG may be on to something.... I live in Richmond, VA and a lot of surrounding counties have coyotes and groundhogs. And Virginia is a fairly 'moneyed' state ('old money'), so there may be some fellows who seldom even see a .222, let alone a nice one like mine, to have for varmint removal. I will find the Virginia gun boards and try to locate a buyer in a neighboring area to sell the Remington 660 to...
Also, some gun clubs have certain days where non-members are welcome.
This is your opportunity to post your ad up on their For Sale tack board.

Well, blackdogxx I wish you luck and may some of it even be GOOD.:D:D:D

I think the .222 might even be legal for Deer in some of the Southern States, not that I would even consider it but...

I'm pretty sure those aren't worth a darn.

But I do know someone that is probably desperate enough to try it out, and if you'll just send it to me, I'll try and talk him into taking that beautiful piece of history (oops, disregard that) old dawg off your hands.

And the good news is, I think he may still have an old SKS with minimal rust he'd be willing to trade!

;) :D

But I do know someone that is probably desperate enough to try it out, and if you'll just send it to me, I'll try and talk him into taking that beautiful piece of history (oops, disregard that) old dawg off your hands.

And the good news is, I think he may still have an old SKS with minimal rust he'd be willing to trade!

Thank you for saying that. My oldest brother was a true stud about town in Bristol,TN and well known as a fine friend and dangerous enemy as well as a groundhog shooting legend. When I was going after a nice groundhog rifle (later, coyotes showed up in central VA), Steve told me what to look for and why. You are the sort of guy I admire. Thank you.

Thank you for saying that. My oldest brother was a true stud about town in Bristol,TN and well known as a fine friend and dangerous enemy as well as a groundhog shooting legend. When I was going after a nice groundhog rifle (later, coyotes showed up in central VA), Steve told me what to look for and why. You are the sort of guy I admire. Thank you.
You're welcome.
In all seriousness, it's kind of a shame you aren't willing to do a little resto work and bring that rifle back to its former glory. But I understand if it's not your cup-o-tea. It is quite a piece.
And the thing about the "Triple Deuce" is it's highly unlikely the barrel/throat is worn, as the .222 is really easy on throats.
It really is a sweet piece. Here's hoping whomever ends up with it appreciates it for what it is.

Good luck.

With all the banter back and forth regarding .222 vs .223 (I think all the bases were covered here pretty well), The important factor (ONLY in regards to this particular gun) is missing:

The 600's (and 660's) have the distinction of being made during the actual "transition time" in the commercial market from .222 (darling of the bench and woodchuck fields), to the .223 (the up-and-coming ubiquitous war-horse).

It is the 600's curious positioning in this time frame that makes an original Model 600 in .223 the VERY RARE BIRD!

Of course, he's referring to me. Thanks Jamie, for saving me the horrible embarrassment of lowering myself to groveling for this gun.

Well, whoever gets this old Remington in very good shape and clean all over, will have a nice gun that we seldom see. I'll make photos close up in sunlight if they are outside central VA. The scope is a normal one and unusually clear and usable. I think I went through 15-20 that day and the shop guy nodded approval as I got this one. Something about a groundhog at 100 yards is not an elk at 200 and it's a 222 anyway... I stayed quiet and nodded.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top