JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Back in '79, my father picked up a nice little Remington 1100 lightweight in 20 ga. It features a plain barrel with a fixed modified choke.
Great little shooter and Dad used it over his vaunted 12 ga. 11-48 for a few years before we lost the dogs.
Anyway, I noticed that to load the 1100, one has to depress a silver button, that is on the loading door, in order to load the gun (the door won't move unless you depress the button).
I understand it's supposed to be some kind of safety device, but why do it that way?
What was Remington afraid of? The door would just "automatically" open up and spill rounds onto the ground? (like Dad's old JC Higgins Model 20 would do).
That one always confounded me.

Anyone know the story behind the inclusion of the "silver button to the 1100 series?

Anyone know when they started making them with that silver buttom?

DeanMk

That also is the bolt release. You can also load it pretty fast if you practice and use the shell to push the button up each time. Just kinda follow the curve of the trigger guard up and you'll hit it. My dads 1100 12ga gave me lots of headaches when I first started shooting it too...

I have owned Remington 1100s since the 70's and have never had an issue w/ mine. I don't think that loading an 1100 is particularly difficult; load one in the chamber (w/ safety on), then load two in the tube. Having the bolt/carrier release on the underside of the receiver rather than on the side of the receiver is not a big deal for a field or competition shotgun (I shop sporting clays w/ mine). I don't even notice having to press the the bolt/carrier release to have tp load the tube (I also shot a 70's era 870 trap gun)

Remember that you do need to keep 1100's clean, gas guns can get pretty dirty.