JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello gentlemen. We are moving back to the Oregon coast from central Montana. It was been four years since we lived in Oregon. I really have not kept up with gun laws in the state. Is there anything major I should be concerned about. I do own several semi-auto rifles, Glocks, etc. My concealed license is expired for Oregon, so I will have to get another one.

Thanks for any responses and It's nice to have this site to reintroduce myself to Oregon and the Northwest!

Nothing really, Oregon gun laws are basically non existent.

Open carry is legal, though not in certain towns. Concealed still requires a permit, but its valid just about anywhere.

Does anyone know where a list of the towns that is or isn't authorized for open carry? IF so can you either post the link or the towns?

Thanks!

This thread has a good list:

<broken link removed>

Note, that this isn't an 'open carry ban' in these towns, it is an 'open carry of a loaded firearm ban' in most cases. Even so, its not worth risking.

Thanks for the responses. I will open carry while waiting to get my concealed permit. Especially while in the woods or out of town limits, never know who/what you might run into...

This thread has a good list:

<broken link removed>

Note, that this isn't an 'open carry ban' in these towns, it is an 'open carry of a loaded firearm ban' in most cases. Even so, its not worth risking.

Yes, people always call you in if you're in the metro area. Regardless of how legal it may be, or how innocent you look and act. :rolleyes:

No, I mean carrying openly in one of those towns without ammo in the gun. If you have a permit, It'd be worth risking it, since the cops would know the law.

The difference between an open carried gun loaded/unloaded might be lost on them.

That said, I've open carried in a few places, and never had any trouble.

No, I mean carrying openly in one of those towns without ammo in the gun. If you have a permit, It'd be worth risking it, since the cops would know the law.

The difference between an open carried gun loaded/unloaded might be lost on them.

That said, I've open carried in a few places, and never had any trouble.

Well, in Hillsboro, definitely. I can vouch for them firsthand.

Even if Beaverton and Portland police know the law, the general populace have no idea. The residents will call you in, and the police respond in a manner that reflects their view of you being guilty of being a criminal or unlawfully carrying that weapon, instead of acting rationally and approaching.

They seem to enjoy giving lectures on the subject. I know this from experience as well, although every time I'm very understanding.

I listen and give polite feedback with the officer, for what is always a pleasant conversation after the fact. I then cover up, and go on my way. Before they know for sure, though, they don't have a very light hand when it comes to even the most innocent calls. It's just not normal for people to be carrying, hence the response.

That won't change my mind, though. I'll potentially carry openly, on occasion of course.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top