JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am pretty good and knowledgeable about pistol rounds. and would be willing to help show ya. I use a dillon square deal. If you want rifle rounds I am not your guy. but willing to help with questions anyhow neverknow what is in my brain. (i don't)

Steven

some quicky advice get a quality reloading manuel and read and then what ever kind of press you get take it slow. If you have any mechanical aptitue it is pretty easy just be careful.

Where are you located?
Do you have your own reloading gear?
I'm in se PDX and have been reloading for about 35yrs.

Twodogs

whoever you choose to learn from, just be carfull. just because they reload, doesnt mean they know what it takes or are carefull in what they do.

ive seen a guy smoking while reloading. although it may not be an issue, i dont see why a person would do it and push his luck.

one comment tho.

before you do go an learn from someone, readup on the reloading process and the terminology so you have an idea on whats being said.

Different how to links and remember just because it's on the web doesn't make it true. In the 2nd link they use visegrip plires to remove bullets. There are bullet removal tools that are available that will not damage the bullets:

<broken link removed>

http://www.reloadammo.com/relsteps.htm

Reload data link :

<broken link removed>

Powder burn rate charts:

<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

Best advice is, first step:
Read the instructions found in the loading manuals....
buy at least two.
Read them well.
Then set up per the books, don't skimp on equipment.
When you get totally set up, per what you've read, then you might have a 'sperienced guy check you out.

Note: Check case length for rifle, (trim if necessary)
Check bullet tension for pistol(loaded rounds)
Overlength rifle brass and pistol bullets pushed inwards=
dangerous high pressures you can avoid.

Last Edited:
Boy, that was a long time ago! I bought a complete Lyman turret press kit from a friend. It had everything I needed except the dies. The first caliber was a straight wall .41 Magnum and I used carbide dies. Everything else I needed to know came straight out of the Lyman manual. Even if you are loading rounds from data in a different manual, find a Lyman manual and spend time reading BEFORE you touch anything. It's written as if you don't know anything, which I didn't at that time. If you are the slightest bit mechanically inclined, you'll be fine.
Don't be afraid to double check EVERYTHING!!!
I've since moved on to a Dillon RL550B progressive for my pistol rounds, but use that ol' Lyman for every single one of my rifle rounds to this day.

Anyway, the Lyman manual has more data than any other and has more helpful info for a newbie. Get one and get started!

ps. My wife bought the Dillon for me. And the RCBS digital scale I use now. How sweet is that?:)

Last Edited:
Anyway, the Lyman manual has more data than any other and has more helpful info for a newbie. Get one and get started!

+1 on the Lyman manual. They are very informative and tend to have data from several different manufacturers rather than being geared towards any particular bullet.

That being said though, it's still a good idea to have several different manuals on hand. The ones made by the manufacturers of the bullets you tend to choose for your loads are the minimums I'd recommend. I have Nosler, Speer, and Hornady reloading manuals in addition to the trusty ole Lyman.

I recently purchased an updated Lyman and will probably update the others soon as well. The "older" ones are still good though and make great "donations" to friends who are considering taking up the habit. :D

I agree with Zeroring completely. It was soo long ago that I forgot that I had the new (at the time) Hornady book, too, because I was loading Hornady bullets.
I believe that you will run into more variations with bullets (length, material, bearing surface length, etc.) with rifle loads than handguns, but the advice to use the manual of the bullet manufacturer is very valid.
Hodgdon has a website that lists their powders for most calibers that is bullet specific. It's free and it's where I was able to find cartridges that weren't yet available in the manuals. (500 S&W, 375 Ruger)

As long as you are very cautions and don't start at the max loadings, you'll have fun, be safe and save MONEY! Plus, if you're like a lot of us, you'll get the satisfaction of having done it your self.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top