JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is reloading really worth it? Do you really save that much? After buying ALL the tools needed (which I see could be several thousands of dollors) and the time it takes is it really that much of a savings? I can understand if your ammo is a $1 or $2 a round but ammo like 9mm, 40sw, 45acp is pretty cheap.

A box of 50 9mm you can find for $12. $17 for a box of 45acp. It just seems to me for those prices it just wouldnt be worth the time. Fill me in, how much $$ would it be if you were to produce a 50 round box of 45acp?

I am currently reloading .45 acp for about $8.67 per box of 50. I am using 230 Gr. RN Powerbond plated bullets. I reload about 500 rounds an hour at a pretty relaxed pace. So its not eating up too much time and I think its fun.

Sad to say I have found I am really not saving any money reloading I am just spending twice as much time at the Range.:) As of yesterday 2,500 rounds of .45 fired this month. Doing the math I saved around $417.00, but I will just blow it on more reloading supplies. :eek:

After several years of handloading,my conclusion is you do not save money but will be able to shoot a lot more for the same dollar.
Being able to tailor loads for any particular firearm is important to me,where to many it is just a means to an end,more range time.
My reloading setup is actually quite extreme compared to most,it is housed in a seperate building located in the backyard,complete with heat/and A/C,wireless for the computer/ballastics lab,security system,etc.
I find myself buying all of my supplies in bulk,like powder in 20lb kegs,brass in large lots,primers,bullets,the same.
One recommendation i offer,make sure it is something you are really interested in,either find someone that will take the time to show you or take a class like the one that John offers before you drop any coin.
RK

I used to reload 45 ACP for 3 bucks a box. Now around 10 bucks. Other considerations are hard to find rounds. As a previous note said, you can shoot a lot more. I like to test loads for various pistols. I've found the .38 cal. 158 gr. bullet to be the most accurate and stable in short barrel hand guns of .38 or .357 cal. for example. Don't get to caught up in velocity, I watched the Olympics, no one ran faster than 850 f.p.s.. It's a hobby. Yes you will invest some money. If you a survivalist, you wouldn't even ask the question.

If your ONLY reason for getting into it is because you think you will save a few pennies then don't even bother. With that as the primary motivating factor you may not spend the time and effort to research and use quality components but will rather "use what is cheapest".

If however, you want to get into it because you want to shoot more, tailor your loads, or just want to spend time getting to know more about the stuff that comes out of the front hole on your firearm then I'd say, jump right in!! :s0155:

Overall you save money if your time is not factored in of course. The main reason to load is you control the load in every way and no longer depend on the store to supply you......no more crisis shortages...just keep stocked and no worries....

I am currently reloading .45 acp for about $8.67 per box of 50. I am using 230 Gr. RN Powerbond plated bullets. I reload about 500 rounds an hour at a pretty relaxed pace. So its not eating up too much time and I think its fun.

Sad to say I have found I am really not saving any money reloading I am just spending twice as much time at the Range.:) As of yesterday 2,500 rounds of .45 fired this month. Doing the math I saved around $417.00, but I will just blow it on more reloading supplies. :eek:
Same here with thinking I am saving money,I shoot a lot more but I am still just as broke.It's a disease really,with no treatment or cure.

Same here with thinking I am saving money,I shoot a lot more but I am still just as broke.It's a disease really,with no treatment or cure.
I think of it more like an addiction. I'm kinda like the mad tweeker chemist out in my garage late at night working up a new recipe to get my fix.

Well its kinda like that except for I'm fat, have a job, all my teeth, no open sores on my face, and I'm not stealing for my neighbors to fund my habit............... not yet ;)

I think of it more like an addiction. I'm kinda like the mad tweeker chemist out in my garage late at night working up a new recipe to get my fix.

Well its kinda like that except for I'm fat, have a job, all my teeth, no open sores on my face, and I'm not stealing for my neighbors to fund my habit............... not yet ;)
LOL that's funny stuff there!

Is reloading really worth it? Do you really save that much? After buying ALL the tools needed (which I see could be several thousands of dollors) and the time it takes is it really that much of a savings? I can understand if your ammo is a $1 or $2 a round but ammo like 9mm, 40sw, 45acp is pretty cheap.

A box of 50 9mm you can find for $12. $17 for a box of 45acp. It just seems to me for those prices it just wouldnt be worth the time. Fill me in, how much $$ would it be if you were to produce a 50 round box of 45acp?

I can get ALL the tools needed for less than $150.00. Reloading a box of 45acp runs me less than $5.00.

Like those have said above, save money, yes, shoot more, yes, so do you really save money, who cares? And there are a couple threads where people debate how cheap you can get into reloading. My best guess for a RCBS starter kit, one set of carbide pistol dies, tumbler, media, misc items is about $470 so figure $500 for a nice, new set up for one caliber. Add another $30-$45 for each caliber after that. Keep in mind that most reloading equipment retains its value if maintained. As far as saving money here is one example that I use in my class:

Actual Cost To Load
• 1 grains = 0.000142857143 pounds
• 1 pound = 7000 grains
• Powder Cost @ $ per pound
• Primer Cost @ $ per each
• Bullet Cost @ $ per each
• Brass Cost @ $ per each

Example #1-45ACP:
1 Pound of Power Pistol @ $20 per pound. $20 divided by 7000 = $.0029 per grain. (Load with 6.5 grains for a total powder cost of $.0189)
100 Primers for $3.00 = $ .03 per primer
1000 Bullets for $114.00 = $ .114 each
1000 Brass for $40.00 = $ .04 each
Total cost per round = $ .2029 each or $ 10.15 box of 50. (Buying brass)
Total cost per round = $ .1629 each or $ 8.15 box of 50. (You saved your brass)

But for me I see reloading as an extension of my hobby of firearms. It really is a lot of fun to search for deals, stockpile components, and be able to not only load your own ammunition but be able to do it just as good if not better than the factory! I enjoy it as much if not more than shooting sometimes. I'm sure that’s why I find myself trying to teach others so they can enjoy it as well.

One recommendation i offer,make sure it is something you are really interested in,either find someone that will take the time to show you or take a class like the one that John offers before you drop any coin.RK
Thank you RK.
I will be having a class in June. If you’re interested it is a chance to see all what is required to reload, and be able to make a better, informed decision.

Cost is only one factor in favor of reloading.

For me, the primary factor is quality. I'm not a "shoot to make noise" type guy, and each firearm has its special preferences to perform at its absolute best. Even two firearms of identical model and caliber will have each a preference.

Thirdly, the personal satisfaction in researching and crafting that preferential load is a hobby unto itself nearly apart from shooting.

I'm finding that modern premium ammunition really gives me a run for the money to improve upon, but with work it can still be done. And then you save a heap over the "premium" ammunition that is of such high quality these days.

For a guy who doesn't shoot much, or doesn't strive for the extreme capabilities of his guns, I would agree that reloading will not pencil out monetarily for quite some time.

Custom tuned rounds, Nice equipment, enjoyment from not having to worry about the ammo shortage.. And a big TY to John at Grass Roots for his help too.. Yes I am addicted.

Heep your powder dry, aim like you mean it, and keep shooting

From what Im reading, there does seem to be a big difference in price if you reload. $3-$8 a box for 45acp. That seems pretty good as to what a new box of 50 goes for.

As far as time, I didnt know that you could reload that fast. I guess I was thinking that a hour of reloading would only yield about 50-60 rounds. Guess I was wrong.

As far as the equipment, Im guessing over time it would pay for itself?

Cost wasn't a factor I just cared that it cost me close to what factory was or less. For less than the cost of factory I can load a higher quality round that is 10 times more accurate through my rifles.

Plus what was mentioned about the satisfaction of creating a quality round consistently and watching it fly half a mile and stay on target :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top