JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Yesterday I was at my local gun dealer and we got to talking about varmint calibers. I wanted a wood stock blued steel left handed .204 Ruger. Well, that couldn't be found so I settled for a CZ 527 in .223. Today a quick visit to the Midwayusa website yeilded me a set of Redding Dies and Lee Quick trim die. I already have small rifle mag primers and WW-748 powder as well as a CD primer pocket swedger. A trip to my local Bi-Mart netted me two boxes of Winchester 55gr FMJ ammo for $9.69/box and a box of 50gr Nosler ballistic silver tip bullets.

NIce!

Gotta like the .223 as a varmint caliber!

I once had Ruger MK II lightweight with an 18" barrel that was a tackdriver and nailed many a varmint but I foolishly traded it off many years ago for what I can't remember.

My Heavy barrel SB2 Handi-Rifle is now my only .223 rifle but the upside is I don't go through much ammo with it!

NIce!

Gotta like the .223 as a varmint caliber!

I once had Ruger MK II lightweight with an 18" barrel that was a tackdriver and nailed many a varmint but I foolishly traded it off many years ago for what I can't remember.

My Heavy barrel SB2 Handi-Rifle is now my only .223 rifle but the upside is I don't go through much ammo with it!
When the squeaks are out in the spring you'll have to invite me over.

CZ 527 nice score. That is one accurate rifle. Don't expect great accuracy with 55 FMJ Win in my experience.
If you can get some 53 SMKs it works great with W748. W748 meters perfectly and is one of the most accurate
powders I have ever used for the lighter bullets.

Congrats!

You found a CZ 527 in 223? I've been searching in my area for a few months and the LGS are telling me "maybe in 6 months".
Grab a gun shows four different CZ 527s in stock.;)https://grabagun.com/firearms/rifles/bolt-action-rifles.html?caliber=.223+Rem&manufacturer=CZ
1608245510624.png

CZ 527 nice score. That is one accurate rifle. Don't expect great accuracy with 55 FMJ Win in my experience.
If you can get some 53 SMKs it works great with W748. W748 meters perfectly and is one of the most accurate
I'm wanting to try the 50gr varmint first. I've got this scope sitting on the shelf and figure it'll be just right on the CZ

Speaking of light Bullets in .223 I've been working on a load with 34gr FBHPs. Was really hoping to find an accuracy node at 4,000 FPS or just over but I know I'm pushing them pretty hard. I always seem to get that one flier that opens up the group!

Id love to see one of those little squeaks get hit with one of those bullets moving along at that speed! :D

I'd like to be reloading some light bullet 30-30 ammo right now, but Dillon can't seem to be bothered by shipping the caliber conversion I ordered over a week ago...:mad:

Yeah, it was in stock. No, it's not on the way yet.

I understand the delays associated with the Covid bubblegum, but this is making me re-think purchasing from them again. Good thing I held onto my Lyman turret.

Speaking of light Bullets in .223 I've been working on a load with 34gr FBHPs. Was really hoping to find an accuracy node at 4,000 FPS or just over but I know I'm pushing them pretty hard. I always seem to get that one flier that opens up the group!

Id love to see one of those little squeaks get hit with one of those bullets moving along at that speed! :D
I got a 3 grain gas check going 5000fps out of my 30-06 once.

not really

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads