JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have loaded alot of rounds for my .38, .357. and my .45.... the differenc being I have cast 90% of my slugs for my .38 myself... now I get my lead for free, so this cut my cost WAY down... and now I am wondering .. can I shoot my hand cast loads out of a .45 auto glock 21.... will it have issues with loading(do glocks ever have issues with loading?) will it lead up the barrell, now I know I need to run a full length sizer on every case.. and I do my best to put the time into my loading.... so I guess what I want to know is will hand cast slugs do well in this type of auto loader, and will it cause malfuntions, and what shape slug mold would be best... standard 230 gn round, or....
Thanks guys.
Doug

I believe that you need a different barrel for your Glock to safely shoot lead bullets. It has to do with the type of rifling Glock uses. I'm no Glock expert, but I've recently read something that makes me believe this isn't a good idea.

Glock says NO lead, however I have, and I know others who have and do shoot lead thru Glocks......... Just NOT continually!
Run a box... should be fine....... more???? without a Good cleaning of the barrel?..... I would be cautious.
Boy a Lone Wolf barrel (or facsimile) and go for it with gusto.

I ran a 21 with 200 gr flat points that were brinell 18 and they were fine . Cleanup is easy if you use a copper choreboy cut apart and wrapped around a brush . Wet mop first and then wet brush with the choreboy .

If you're gonna shoot a lot thru your suppressor I'd recommend plated bullets, you'll keep you suppressor cleaner. And stick w/ cleaner burning powders like VV N320 or Titegroup. A 230gr plated RN over 5.2gr of N320 is very clean and quiet, I haven't yet worked up a load for the Titegroup.

You can shoot cast bullets through these guns, however most of the cast bullets designed to be shot in .45 were designed to be shot in 1911's this is the so-called keith line of bullets, usually they are semi-wadcutters and have a truncated nose shape, they run perfectly in 1911's but seem to barely feed and fire in most other guns we've tried. There are 200gr RN and 200gr RNSWC bullets out there that tend to be a bit more reliable.

The problem with running CB's in glocks is the glock uses a polygonal barrel, since the lead is so much softer than a jacketed bullet, there is a tendency to strip if using really soft lead. When the bullet strips, it leaves a lot of fouling behind, which can cause some major pressure issues if left unchecked. Not to mention the negative impact on your accuracy.

Also, for removing lead fouling: white vinegar is your friend

Polygonal rifling in Glocks is not great with lead bullets, even hard ones, The Lone Wolf, or other replacement barrels are great. A std 230gr RN with 5.1grs of Reddot or 5 grs of Bullseye will work will and should give you 800-835fps. It will smoke, but that's from the lube, not the powder. good luck

There is also a product called something like lead free. It should be in the gun cleaning section. It is not cheap, but it looks like a regular patch. It will pull lots of lead out of the barrel. From what I have heard, lone wolf is way behind on their manufacturing.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top