JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not sure if this is the right spot for this one, but here goes...

With the prices starting to go higher and higher, and the real scarcity of 7.62 for awhile there, I thought I'd start getting into reloading. I've never done it, but I know a bit about the process. I was thinking about getting a progressive press so I can put out quite a few rounds quickly, becasue I have a really crowded schedule at times. I"ve seen new ones from Lee that were really affordable, but I don't know if they're durable, or easy to use, etc.

Anybody have any suggestions on a relatively inexpensive setup? Like I said above, I'd like some sort of progressive style one, but I'm really open to just about anything that I can learn on.

Ive never used Lee products (other than a priming tool), but they have quite an impressive following of people who swear by them and are they are relatively inexpensive. I also hear good things about their customer service.

Like slimer said, get a single stage to learn on. Lee make good gear. Right now a basic kit cost about 115.00. Dies are around 28 for pistol per caliber. Rifle calibers vari. You also have to get powder, primers, bullets. and a good reloading book. Lee's 2nd edition is the best all around.

Make sure you read, reread and then read it again. Then you will be able to start loading.

Progressives are great but even when you have one or more you will still have a place for you single stage and you will end up needing one anyhow.

Even with progressives there are some specialty dies like bullet pullers that are best used in a single stage. Or you might want to work up a new batch of bullets, much easier on a single stage then a progressive.

I too suggest a single stage press first for all the reasons already stated. However I'm not a big Lee fan, other than their dies. Reloading equipment lasts forever and is a one time investment, so for another $100, you can get an RCBS kit right now for about $250. I think in the long run you would be happier. Keep in mind you probably won't save any money with reloading. You will just shoot more.

This is posted in the wrong section.

And the only reason I say that is you are missing all the great threads in the reloading section.
There are about 5 different threads like this to read.All with good info.
And lots of smart guys more than willing to help.
Check it out and good luck.

Oh and get a RCDB rockchucker single stage and if you want a progressive,get a 650 dillon.
But don't buy RCBS dies.

mjbskwim - I'm curious what your problems were with RCBS dies? I have or have had at least 5 sets of them, and other than one neck die in .223 that caused excessive runout, never had any problems. I've since moved on to Redding and custom dies because of the target calibers I shoot, but wouldn't hesitate to buy RCBS dies for a hunting rifle.

mjbskwim - I'm curious what your problems were with RCBS dies? I have or have had at least 5 sets of them, and other than one neck die in .223 that caused excessive runout, never had any problems. I've since moved on to Redding and custom dies because of the target calibers I shoot, but wouldn't hesitate to buy RCBS dies for a hunting rifle.

I bought 223 as my first dies and got 2 more sizing dies from RCBS that were not sized the same.Yes 3 sizing pins that were different sizes and none were big enough.The top adjusting "screws" are junk.
So I went and looked at Redding and never looked back.

Your RCBS dies are probably older and made well. Maybe they started running too fast and quality suffered?
Doesn't matter.For the same money,redding dies are way better quality.
And size my brass correctly!

mjbskwim - Apprecitate the reply. I will have to remove some of my RCBS sizing buttons and see how they measure up. Never really worried about neck tension in my hunting reloads so never have bothered to measure. For the record I just got back into reloading in the last seven years, so the dies are not all that old. The last set I bought was just a few months ago for a .30-06. I do agree with you that the top adjustment screws on both the sizing and seating dies are clunky. Fine tuning seating depth with RCBS dies is an exercise in flustration.

I know bushing dies are more expensive, but they are my favorite type of die. For highly accurate rifles, it can be very critical to be able to control neck tension. Do you buy the Type S Redding dies or have you stepped up to the competition dies?

"reloading newbie" threads have done to death, I think there are probably 5-6 of them in the first 3 pages of the ammo section. If you havn't figured it out by now by reading those threads then reloading is probably not for you.

Personally, I am getting tired of answering the same questions over and over again. Initially I would respond with constructive response, however, over time my fatigue with the topic grew and grew and my answers had less and less positive advice.

That said, if you are getting into reloading to save money, forget about it, you won't for quite a while. If you are getting into reloading ammo because you want to learn, shoot better ammo, etc then do it. If you just want to save money, buy an SKS or ak. If you want to learn, the board has a search feature, where you can search for "reloading newbie" or perhaps "reloading howto".

-Batman

This is posted in the wrong section.

And the only reason I say that is you are missing all the great threads in the reloading section.
There are about 5 different threads like this to read.All with good info.
And lots of smart guys more than willing to help.
Check it out and good luck.
My bad. I didn't realize there was already a spot for this.

The reason I wanted to get into it was because I've always had an interest, just never the time or space. But I'll be getting both here pretty soon. I've always wanted to try different loadings, powder styles, etc.

@ AMProducts
BTW do you sell something,produce something?
Not smart enough to just pass a thread by that you have responded to?
See that's the beauty of these here com put tors and that mousy thingy.
Just don't make that click,pass on by. I do it all the time
Answered the question too many times?
Scroll down and click another thread that may need your reaching wisdom:s0152::s0054:

And Kid,no worries.Like I said there is plenty of info here and plenty of nice guys to help out.

Otter,I just bought the regular Redding dies.Hey if your bullets are seating maybe your pins are sized correctly. My 223 pills weren't.I only did about 150 with the RCBS and had problems. I've done at least 500 on the Redding without a hick up.
I don't really take the time to do a lot of paper work and groups,mostly just blowing through ammo.Some day I'll actually start grouping and loading for that single hole.

Used steel single stage press for sure. Also look into casting your own bullets using a gas check mold design

For high volume plinking also look at Midway and Weidners for surplus military bullets

@ AMProducts
BTW do you sell something,produce something?
Not smart enough to just pass a thread by that you have responded to?
See that's the beauty of these here com put tors and that mousy thingy.
Just don't make that click,pass on by. I do it all the time
Answered the question too many times?
Scroll down and click another thread that may need your reaching wisdom:s0152::s0054:

And Kid,no worries.Like I said there is plenty of info here and plenty of nice guys to help out.

Otter,I just bought the regular Redding dies.Hey if your bullets are seating maybe your pins are sized correctly. My 223 pills weren't.I only did about 150 with the RCBS and had problems. I've done at least 500 on the Redding without a hick up.
I don't really take the time to do a lot of paper work and groups,mostly just blowing through ammo.Some day I'll actually start grouping and loading for that single hole.

Funny, I don't mind answering a thread like this at all. As with most forums, after a while everything gets buried in the numerous posts and additionally, new products hit the market.

To those who have grown tired of answering posts on topics that have been discussed before, DON'T. Last I heard, it isn't required to participate on every new thread.

For those who have "newbie" questions, I'd rather take the time to answer their question to help them have their reloading experience start out easier and far safer rather than the all to often suggestion "Use the Search Option" or "There are already XX threads on this topic"

Just remember that "Karma's a bubblegum". There will come a time in your life when your memory won't be as good as it once was and you'll start asking the same questions, over and over. It would be too bad if the only answer you got then was "Use the Search Option".

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top