JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've read a Dillon 550 is better than the 650... Yes?
The 550 is not a progresive,or should I say auto index and the 650 is. So it's up to you to determine that.
I read someone's post the other day that liked the 550 cause if something needed changing you just didn't index it and fix the problem.Where as the 650 you may have to go a couple stages to fix said problem.
I can see where that would be better
Oh wait... there is never any problems with Dillon presses:eek:
And the 650 has 1 more stage if I remember correctly,so you could set up a bullet feed also

Hello everyone,

I've read and have learned quite a bit from all your comments. So i just want to start off by saying thank you all for the information.
I know this next request is going to come off as a little weird, but mean it in the most harmless way possible, just looking to possibly get some first hand experience.

Im kinda young, only 25. But do have a family. And very very green to reloading. But getting to it. I think i do want to start reloading 223, 9mm, and 300 blackout. But before I start I'd love to hopefully get some hands on experience with reloading. I do live in molalla, OR. and if possible to drive out to whomever and possibly get some hands on experience with reloading.
Please PM me if you could help "train" me

Thanks a bunch
Aaron

Hello everyone,

I've read and have learned quite a bit from all your comments. So i just want to start off by saying thank you all for the information.
I know this next request is going to come off as a little weird, but mean it in the most harmless way possible, just looking to possibly get some first hand experience.

Im kinda young, only 25. But do have a family. And very very green to reloading. But getting to it. I think i do want to start reloading 223, 9mm, and 300 blackout. But before I start I'd love to hopefully get some hands on experience with reloading. I do live in molalla, OR. and if possible to drive out to whomever and possibly get some hands on experience with reloading.

Thanks a bunch
Aaron
I'm too far away:(
Some members have run classes in the past, and I think Douglas Ridge Rifle Club did offer classes too.
good luck on your quest,
I'm sure someone will jump in and help you out.
;)

Douglas ridge does have classes I'm a member there. I could look up when they are having another one if you wish. If you don't mind driving to Fairview/gresham I'd be happy to give you a tour of my setup and show you the basics. I also have a copy of the ABC's of reloading you could borrow. I started on a tight budget too I can give you some ideas. Feel free to pm me. Always glad to help out a newcomer.

When I first built my 300 blk I too thought about handloading. After months of thought and research I decided to buy the hornady classic kit. Came with literally everything but the dies. And I got it on sale from cabelas for 240 plus had points saved so 70 out of pocket. Works perfect as I load for range and hunting. After getting comfortable which was maybe 3 or 4 load sessions I can pump out 250 or 300 an hour if I stick to one recipe. It's perfect for first timers as it is a single stage. I have it set up on a work bench from harbor freight which was 80 bucks. Have had my set up for maybe 6 months and have made a lot of other add on stuff like hornady trimmer, lyman power station, multiple hand tools. It definitely let's you shoot way more for the same price and is very addicting when you start trying different projectiles and powders. Also downloaded many published load data manuals from sierra, hogdon, Alliant ect.

Hello everyone,

Thanks a bunch
Aaron

I was in the same boat as you. Recently in to 300 Blackout, which finally made me take the leap into hand loading.
Bought my RCBS kit on black Friday, just finished loading a couple hundred rounds of various blackout loads tonight, testing for cycling in my 8" SBR with super and subsonics.

Started with a kit, but soon learned you need much more to be proficient!
Here's a breakdown of my kit, what you will need to load 300 blackout.

RCBS Kit $290
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0078MWM2W?keywords=rcbs kit&qid=1453271696&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

RCBS Case Trimmer $103 (Especially needed if you plan to form your own brass)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ase trimmer&qid=1453271971&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Cabelas Case Cleaner $45 (Inexpensive, works well, and cabelas warranty is awesome)
<broken link removed>

RCBS Blackout SB Die $44
http://www.amazon.com/RCBS-300-Blac...&qid=1453272361&sr=8-1&keywords=rcbs+blackout

Now, if you have a bunch of 223 brass laying around you can make 300 Blackout cases out of them. I do, and I did. Saves a bunch in the end! To do this you need:

300 Blackout Jig $40
http://www.zepprecisionmachines.com/store/p3/300_AAC_Blackout_case_cutting_jig.html

Harbor freight 2" Cutoff saw $33
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-mini-bench-top-cut-off-saw-62136.html

It cost me $0.29 a round to make 300 blackout loaded in 150gr FMJ, and $0.32 for 110gr Varmint. Cheapest you can find cheap FMJ for online is around $0.50, Varmint ammo goes for $0.75+ per round.
Bonus... This kit works for just about any other rifle caliber, all you need is the different dies. And bullets... And primers... And powder... Lots of powder.

Good luck!

The 550 is not a progresive,or should I say auto index and the 650 is. So it's up to you to determine that.
I read someone's post the other day that liked the 550 cause if something needed changing you just didn't index it and fix the problem.Where as the 650 you may have to go a couple stages to fix said problem.
I can see where that would be better
Oh wait... there is never any problems with Dillon presses:eek:
And the 650 has 1 more stage if I remember correctly,so you could set up a bullet feed also
i have both set up side by side in my reloading room.(550&650) 650 is much nicer to use. Dillon says u can reload up to about 800 per hour (pistol rounds), but usually i can do around 500. Every so often something screws up that takes a few moments to straighten out, then away u go again. :)

Same RCBS jr. Since '62. :p
Not a competition shooter though. :rolleyes:
Reloading and casting just allows me to shoot as much as I want.:D
i use an rcbs jr2
right on guys !

here's my 40 year old "jr3".....was my dads

image.jpg

i have both set up side by side in my reloading room.(550&650) 650 is much nicer to use. Dillon says u can reload up to about 800 per hour (pistol rounds), but usually i can do around 500. Every so often something screws up that takes a few moments to straighten out, then away u go again. :)
Thanks for that. I was thinking of getting another press and was contemplating the 550 over the 650.
When I first got the 650 all set up,it came set for 9mm so that's what I started with.
It was fun cause you look at your watch,say 9am,then the primer alarm goes off? 15 minutes?
Just starting and going slow I'd get 95 rounds in 15 minutes. And I mean I was watching everything slow.
Plus if you get a tool head for every caliber then changing calibers is a breeze. Maybe 10 minutes.
I bought another powder silo so I had 1 ea. for large loads and small loads (rifle and pistol).
I bought extra primer load tubes but found it was better for me to keep it slow than to just dump more primers and jump back into it.
Then it was getting all the ammo out of the way. Jeesh,by the time the powder keg was empty (had to have a some stop point) or you ran out of bullets there would be a pile of ammo
Now I want my 650 back

I was in the same boat as you. Recently in to 300 Blackout, which finally made me take the leap into hand loading.
Bought my RCBS kit on black Friday, just finished loading a couple hundred rounds of various blackout loads tonight, testing for cycling in my 8" SBR with super and subsonics.

Started with a kit, but soon learned you need much more to be proficient!
Here's a breakdown of my kit, what you will need to load 300 blackout.

RCBS Kit $290
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0078MWM2W?keywords=rcbs kit&qid=1453271696&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

RCBS Case Trimmer $103 (Especially needed if you plan to form your own brass)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0083OEAME?keywords=rcbs case trimmer&qid=1453271971&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Cabelas Case Cleaner $45 (Inexpensive, works well, and cabelas warranty is awesome)
<broken link removed>

RCBS Blackout SB Die $44
http://www.amazon.com/RCBS-300-Blac...&qid=1453272361&sr=8-1&keywords=rcbs+blackout

Now, if you have a bunch of 223 brass laying around you can make 300 Blackout cases out of them. I do, and I did. Saves a bunch in the end! To do this you need:

300 Blackout Jig $40
http://www.zepprecisionmachines.com/store/p3/300_AAC_Blackout_case_cutting_jig.html

Harbor freight 2" Cutoff saw $33
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-mini-bench-top-cut-off-saw-62136.html

It cost me $0.29 a round to make 300 blackout loaded in 150gr FMJ, and $0.32 for 110gr Varmint. Cheapest you can find cheap FMJ for online is around $0.50, Varmint ammo goes for $0.75+ per round.
Bonus... This kit works for just about any other rifle caliber, all you need is the different dies. And bullets... And primers... And powder... Lots of powder.

Good luck!

Is the RCBS kit a progressive loader? Or not?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top