JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello Community,

So i just very recently bought a 300blk. And whoever has one, knows that its kinda expensive for the rounds.
So I've been thinking, even tho I know nothing about reloading. About reloading my own rounds.

So I need help from you guys for maybe getting started reloading my own rounds.

What is a good starter setup? Could someone maybe give me links or just names of what all i would need to start doing it myself.

Thanks community
Koda

This guy has vids of step by step setup/use of all major brands of modern re-loading equipment.
http://ultimatereloader.com/
That place will give you a good idea of what re-loading is all about, to determine if it's something you want to do.
You won't be saving money, but will be shooting a lot more, and know that reloading is whatever you want to make of it.
It's best to find someone who does this, and will show you the basics first hand.
:)

Last Edited:
If you want to volume reload, like thousands of rounds of pistol ammo or varmint ammo, that would take you down one path. A Dillon or some sort of progressive press would be the way to go.

Casual reloading...few hundred rounds, you might want to consider an RCBS or Redding kit. You will get just about everything you need.

For the ultimate in accuracy, you may want to go in the direction of an Arbor press and Wilson dies.

Lots of variables you need to identify before you get started.

Some things you are going to need regardless is a decent set of calipers, a way to trim your cases when they get long and dies, just for a start.

i am a single stage reloader. when i start the process for .223 after they are nice and clean, i do things in stages. one day i'll do nothin but deprime, swage primer pockets then re prime. few days go by and i'll trim/deburr/ chamfer. after that i dump powder and seat bullets. i do it this way so i dont get burned out doing the whole process in one sitting. i proces about 500 at a time. my advice to you is to get a turret press kit either from RCBS or hornady because it can be faster but also allows you to learn the basics.

i am a single stage reloader. when i start the process for .223 after they are nice and clean, i do things in stages. one day i'll do nothin but deprime, swage primer pockets then re prime. few days go by and i'll trim/deburr/ chamfer. after that i dump powder and seat bullets. i do it this way so i dont get burned out doing the whole process in one sitting. i proces about 500 at a time. my advice to you is to get a turret press kit either from RCBS or hornady because it can be faster but also allows you to learn the basics.
"Turret"/C presses suck.
anyway

Shared the wrong opinion with birdman did you... Tis tis.

What's a "C" Turret press anyway (derp, figured it out)? Redding & Lyman's turret has a single 'post' in the middle, Lee's is fully supported with pillars at each 'corner'.

I think they both work pretty well.

Last Edited:
Shared the wrong opinion with birdman did you... Tis tis.

What's a "C" Turret press anyway? Redding & Lyman's turret has a single 'post' in the middle, Lee's is fully supported with pillars at each 'corner'.

I think they both work pretty well.
lol i use a JR2 thats atleast 25 years older than me. all i was sayin is id like to upgrade someday.

Here is one of the best presses you can find. It is a C press made by Harrell's. I like the compact size and shorter handle throw on the .308 and PPC size presses. Excellent for precision reloading of smaller rifle cases and for pistol size cases.
http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/compact-reloading-press

Not the best for volume reloading but will work.

I also like the RCBS Jr. and Partner presses. Small and compact and they work great. Both will reload large cases, but I would not want to do a lot of 300 magnum FL resizing on one.

Last Edited:
I started with a RCBS rock chucker and dies. The dies I had I replaced with redding dies and they worked much better. I think RCBS may have upped production too much and put out some bad dies.
But I would definitely start with a single stage for precision loading and learning
Then I bout a Hornady L&L press. What a POS it was. Thought it was me as I was just learning.....
Until I bought the 650 Dillon.No that's a mean machine.
My friend,who does a lot of 300BLK,from making the cases from 223 ,to loading them both super ans sub sonic,uses a Lee Turret press. And he puts a lot of ammo out with that press
Now I still have the rock chucker and I am deciding what other press to get.
Lee can be had for under $200 bucks and the Dillon would just be sexy in my bedroom,I mean loading room
And he hasn't had any problems with his Lee press

Koda where are you located?? Myself or many other members here would be happy to show you our setups and answer your questions. I have .300 Blk and could walk through a few rounds with you.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top