Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Reloading Setup

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Kodamafire, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Kodamafire

Kodamafire Member

Hello Community,

So i just very recently bought a 300blk. And whoever has one, knows that its kinda expensive for the rounds.
    So I've been thinking, even tho I know nothing about reloading. About reloading my own rounds.

So I need help from you guys for maybe getting started reloading my own rounds.

What is a good starter setup? Could someone maybe give me links or just names of what all i would need to start doing it myself.

Thanks community
    Koda

2. Tilos

Tilos Idaho Active Member

This guy has vids of step by step setup/use of all major brands of modern re-loading equipment.
    http://ultimatereloader.com/
    That place will give you a good idea of what re-loading is all about, to determine if it's something you want to do.
    You won't be saving money, but will be shooting a lot more, and know that reloading is whatever you want to make of it.
    It's best to find someone who does this, and will show you the basics first hand.
    :)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
    oli700, evltwn and Lilhigbee like this.
  3. Otter

Otter Oregon - mid Willamette Valley Active Member

If you want to volume reload, like thousands of rounds of pistol ammo or varmint ammo, that would take you down one path. A Dillon or some sort of progressive press would be the way to go.

Casual reloading...few hundred rounds, you might want to consider an RCBS or Redding kit. You will get just about everything you need.

For the ultimate in accuracy, you may want to go in the direction of an Arbor press and Wilson dies.

Lots of variables you need to identify before you get started.

Some things you are going to need regardless is a decent set of calipers, a way to trim your cases when they get long and dies, just for a start.

evltwn likes this.
  4. Capn Jack

Capn Jack Wet-Stern Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

A good sturdy bench and no one bothering you.:rolleyes:

5. Steve M

Steve M Beaverton, OR Well-Known Member

I think you should start with a book like Lyman #49 or the ABC's of Reloading to learn the basics and what is involved.

oli700, evltwn and Lilhigbee like this.
  6. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace Tacoma-ish Well-Known Member

NRA reloading classes are a good start, too. Regarding equipment: blue is your friend. ;)

evltwn and mjbskwim like this.
  7. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

A single stage 0 press and a whole hundred rounds a brass should feed that thing for quite a while.

8. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w Keizer, or Well-Known Member

i am a single stage reloader. when i start the process for .223 after they are nice and clean, i do things in stages. one day i'll do nothin but deprime, swage primer pockets then re prime. few days go by and i'll trim/deburr/ chamfer. after that i dump powder and seat bullets. i do it this way so i dont get burned out doing the whole process in one sitting. i proces about 500 at a time. my advice to you is to get a turret press kit either from RCBS or hornady because it can be faster but also allows you to learn the basics.

Mikej likes this.
  9. Certaindeaf

"Turret"/C presses suck.
    anyway

10. Certaindeaf

Lee makes an auto-advancing O press that you can use like a regular O press were you to wish. I think they cost like fiddy cents

11. Capn Jack

Same RCBS jr. Since '62. :p
    Not a competition shooter though. :rolleyes:
    Reloading and casting just allows me to shoot as much as I want.:D

oli700, evltwn and v0lcom13sn0w like this.
  12. v0lcom13sn0w

i use an rcbs jr2

13. v0lcom13sn0w

im sorry i didnt please you with my opinion.

14. Benchrest

Benchrest The Desert Planet Well-Known Member

Shared the wrong opinion with birdman did you... Tis tis.

What's a "C" Turret press anyway (derp, figured it out)? Redding & Lyman's turret has a single 'post' in the middle, Lee's is fully supported with pillars at each 'corner'.

I think they both work pretty well.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  15. Capn Jack

A Turret press gives you productivity, but to me, with the increased leverage, I
    loose the "feel" of what's happening to the brass.:D

16. v0lcom13sn0w

lol i use a JR2 thats atleast 25 years older than me. all i was sayin is id like to upgrade someday.

oli700 likes this.
  17. Otter

Otter Oregon - mid Willamette Valley Active Member

Here is one of the best presses you can find. It is a C press made by Harrell's. I like the compact size and shorter handle throw on the .308 and PPC size presses. Excellent for precision reloading of smaller rifle cases and for pistol size cases.
    http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/compact-reloading-press

Not the best for volume reloading but will work.

I also like the RCBS Jr. and Partner presses. Small and compact and they work great. Both will reload large cases, but I would not want to do a lot of 300 magnum FL resizing on one.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  18. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

I started with a RCBS rock chucker and dies. The dies I had I replaced with redding dies and they worked much better. I think RCBS may have upped production too much and put out some bad dies.
    But I would definitely start with a single stage for precision loading and learning
    Then I bout a Hornady L&L press. What a POS it was. Thought it was me as I was just learning.....
    Until I bought the 650 Dillon.No that's a mean machine.
    My friend,who does a lot of 300BLK,from making the cases from 223 ,to loading them both super ans sub sonic,uses a Lee Turret press. And he puts a lot of ammo out with that press
    Now I still have the rock chucker and I am deciding what other press to get.
    Lee can be had for under $200 bucks and the Dillon would just be sexy in my bedroom,I mean loading room
    And he hasn't had any problems with his Lee press

19. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

I've read a Dillon 550 is better than the 650... Yes?

20. Lilhigbee

Lilhigbee SE Portland Visit Target550.com Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

Koda where are you located?? Myself or many other members here would be happy to show you our setups and answer your questions. I have .300 Blk and could walk through a few rounds with you.

mjbskwim and Mikej like this.