JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Help. I'm starting to work up a couple loads for my 22-250. I use the Hornady, Nosler and Lyman books. The Lyman book usually says to start about where the Nosler and the Hornady books say Max load. Loading 40gr Horn and 55gr Nosler using Varget. Thoughts?

Use the bullet manufactures manual or load data. Thus, use your hornady manual for the 40gr. hornady bullet and the Nosler manual for the 55gr. Nosler bullet.

Great suggestion Ron. Those are excellent little books. They actually use info from different bullet and powder manufactures for load data. I have them for almost every cartridge I load for.

I have learned Hornady and Nosler are very "lawyer friendly" in their load data books.

Sierra and Lyman are my favorites. Usually put out great results and tend to be more of an acceptable load than (in my opinion) neutered loads of those like Hornady and Nosler.

Be careful using other bullet manufacture's data if not using their bullets. All bullets are not created equal. Different bearing surface creates greater pressures. The moment you think you are smarter than the people making those bullets and doing extensive tests on pressure and accuracy, is the moment it may backfire in your face.

This link to the JBM stability calculator might save you some time/money. I'm not sure if you will be able to click on the link to take you there, but you can cut and paste if it doesn't. It's the best free calculator I've come across. Others on here might have other options. Good luck. I found a sweet load for mine with the Nos 50 grain BT.
JBM - Calculations - Stability

Last Edited:
I have gone through many 8 lb's of Varget. The problem I have with Varget
is it does not meter that consistent. I am working with IMR 8208 XBR.
Meters real nice and accuracy so far looks good. Work in progress. Part
of the reason for trying the IMR powder is because of no availability
of Varget for a while.o_O

Master17, look into H4895 it's great powder for the 22-250. I recently worked up a load for my buddies new Savage trophy hunter XP. His old TC venture really liked that powder too, but the savage seems to be a tack driver right out of the gate. All loads tested were sub moa:

IMG_0698_zps1p5milag.jpg IMG_0701_zpsqah1cmjq.jpg IMG_0702_zpsngf6ioaf.jpg

I am currently actively building loads for my 22-250. Message me if you like and I will share what's been working well for me so far.. I am still tweaking the loads, but have some promising loads to start with.... also some that were all over the mapo_O

Most likely your most accurate load will contain less powder than the max listed in your manual. Your oal will also factor in, among other variables. Take your time, enjoy the process. Let us know how your load development is going.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top