JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As we all know supplies are hard to find right now. I'm setting up to reload .243 win , the only powder I have found is IMR 4320. Been doing a lot of reading on matching specific bullets with specific powders. The question I have is do I have to match bullet manufacturer & powder or can I use the same recomended powder weight with a different bullet as long as I stay w/in the same bullet weight ????? wow, did that make any sense ? :huh:

The whole key to accurate and SAFE reloaded ammo is to "work up" your load, for your firearm. Do this for every variation in your finished round. Changing bullets, cases, or even primer brand does have an effect on pressures, etc.
(If you need to know the procedure, just ask)
So, for an experienced reloader this is never a problem. Rather it's a great reason to crank up some test loads and head to the range!

The whole key to accurate and SAFE reloaded ammo is to "work up" your load, for your firearm. Do this for every variation in your finished round. Changing bullets, cases, or even primer brand does have an effect on pressures, etc.
(If you need to know the procedure, just ask)
So, for an experienced reloader this is never a problem. Rather it's a great reason to crank up some test loads and head to the range!

Would be nice to sit down w/someone that is experienced in reloading , a mentor if you will....... LOL Don't wanna blow up my nice pretty new gun ! :s0131:

The short answer is "maybe." Different bullets of the same weight may have very different shapes. The important part here would be how much of the bullet is in contact with the barrel. More bullet "touching" the barrel translates (usually) to higher pressures.
The only safe way is to check with the manufacture for their recommendations. And if you don't want to do that, make sure you turn on your web cam before you test fire your new ammunition. ;)

What bullet and weight are you using I have several manuals and can check the recommended load for that bullet with that powder? Actually I could not find a single powder recommendation for that powder with a bullet in a 243?

As we all know supplies are hard to find right now. I'm setting up to reload .243 win , the only powder I have found is IMR 4320. Been doing a lot of reading on matching specific bullets with specific powders. The question I have is do I have to match bullet manufacturer & powder or can I use the same recomended powder weight with a different bullet as long as I stay w/in the same bullet weight ????? wow, did that make any sense ? :huh:

Brandon44647.
IMR 4320 is listed for some loads in the Nosler manual. Howeever, Hodgdon's Varget is probably the most flexible powder for use in loading for the 243 Win. You need/should consult more than one loading manual. Hodgdon's manual is inexpensive and conservative, so its a good one to start with. Varget is my "go to" powder for starting loads for many different small and mid sized cartridges.
Art

What bullet and weight are you using I have several manuals and can check the recommended load for that bullet with that powder? Actually I could not find a single powder recommendation for that powder with a bullet in a 243?

I pulled several loads right off of Hodgon's website that recommend IMR4320 in various bullet weights. My question is do i have to use that specific brand & weight/bullet or can I use a different Brand bullet of the same weight , as long as I load w/same powder weight ?:s0092:

Simply put, you can not use the full range of loads without some experimentation. The shape of the bullet, and, the material hardness come into play. All bullets are not the same.

You can start at the lower range, and, maybe slightly below that. Work your way up, watching for signs of excess pressure. You might find the "max" load occurs before the max load in the manual.

If you do not use the exact recipe, you are now a tester.

Bob

Simply put, you can not use the full range of loads without some experimentation. The shape of the bullet, and, the material hardness come into play. All bullets are not the same.

You can start at the lower range, and, maybe slightly below that. Work your way up, watching for signs of excess pressure. You might find the "max" load occurs before the max load in the manual.

If you do not use the exact recipe, you are now a tester.

Bob

Don't really wanna be a "tester" with my new Rem 700 :s0131: Guess I'll keep looking for "recommended" bullets & powder. Anyone know of any local dealers with a good supply of bullets on hand ??? No laughin ! :s0140:

My answer to your question regarding loading different bullets of the same weight, is a QUALIFIED yes. First off, knowing the rifling twist of a particualr gun will help determine which weight and type of bullet might be best suited for that gun. It is the one thing that is not variable without great expense. Second, you need to determine what it is that you want to load for. Is it paper targets at 100 yards or at distances greater than say, 300 yards, small animals like sage rats, deer or elk. Each type of shooting makes different demands on the type and weight of bullet you should try. Many guns show a decided preference for one or two, bullet-powder-primer combinations. These are most often determined by trial and error. Loading manuals provide starting points.:s0155:

Brandon if you tell us what bullet and what weight your going to try we can look at the manuals for you and see what the the starting load would be? I am a new reloader and am not as experienced as some of these guys. My nosler manual only list the 75 grain spitzer a solid based bullet 36 to 40 grains of 4320.

Lee manual has a 80 grain bullet jacketed bullet listed 37 to 40 max,
Barnes 85 grain 35 to 39.9 max. I could not find any thing for a bullet over these weights.

Artpro thanks I had number 3 not number 5.

Brandon if you tell us what bullet and what weight your going to try we can look at the manuals for you and see what the the starting load would be? I am a new reloader and am not as experienced as some of these guys. My nosler manual only list the 75 grain spitzer a solid based bullet 36 to 40 grains of 4320.

Lee manual has a 80 grain bullet jacketed bullet listed 37 to 40 max,
Barnes 85 grain 35 to 39.9 max. I could not find any thing for a bullet over these weights.

Artpro thanks I had number 3 not number 5.

Hodgon's website lists the following for .243 win using IMR4320
55 gr NOS BT - 40 gr load
58 gr HDY v-max - 40.5 gr load
60 gr SIE HP -40 gr load
65 gr HDY v-max- 40.5 gr load
70 gr SPR HP- 38.5 gr load
75 gr HDY HP- 37.7 gr load
80gr SIE BTSP- 37 gr load
85 gr BAR XBTC- 36.5 gr load

Here are a couple of links to look over the first one is load data and the 2nd is powder burn rates. I hope that it's some help

<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews