JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Long story short. I was resizing some brass that already had a primer in it. I didn't use enough lube and it got stuck. There is nocapping pin in the case I had taken it out. The decamping ball is still in the case. Trying to figure out a way to get the case out of the die.
9AD514B6-43FF-487D-89A3-B3B32AB02E98.jpeg

:s0054:

Watching. Sorry I can't help. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking you're going to have to "spend" that primer, for a start?

I'd soak that in some light oil over night to make the primer inert to start off then go after it in the AM. I made myself a stuck case remover years ago. You drill out the primer pocket, thread the hole, put the hollow piece over the case then screw a cap screw into the case through the predrilled hole in the hollow "cap" and draw it out by continuing to screw it in, thus drawing the stuck case out. You can buy one at most gun stores but I made mine.

I'm still skeptical of drilling an "Inert" primer
Pry it out with the tip of a sharp pocket knife. If you soak it in oil or water over night, making sure it gets inside, it will be inert. But I'm just some dude on the internet so don't take my advice. Lol! I've never had to deal with this so I'd pretty much be on my own too.

Yea, no primer is inert just like no guns are unloaded. I wouldn't go prying or drilling nothing until I heard that primer go off.
I about blew my pinky finger off with a shotgun primer doing something stupid when I was a kid.

I'd soak that in some light oil over night to make the primer inert to start off
This - and when ready slide the decapping stem into the case, ensure the pin is centered on the primer and lightly tap the end of the stem with a peice of WOOD.

The primer will be punched out with virtually no resistance.

This - and when ready slide the decapping stem into the case, ensure the pin is centered on the primer and lightly tap the end of the stem with a peice of WOOD.

The primer will be punched out with virtually no resistance.
I can't use the decapping pin, the decapping ball is already in the case

If it were me, I'd be tempted to apply some heat to the die - AWAY from the primer end, with a torch. Not to get it red hot, mind you, but enough that it might let go of the cartridge. Of course, I'd be wearing gloves, goggles/glasses, and, if available, a face shield, just to be safe.

Have you tried putting a shell holder on the base of the shell, to give you something to leverage against? Then you could try to pry it out with a bit more force.

If I had that problem I'd....

1) Deactivate the primer.
2) Get the old deactivated primer out of the primer pocket.
3) Get out your slide hammer and find a screw that will screw into the flash hole.
4) Screw the screw into the flash hole.
5) Spray some PB Blaster around were the brass and die meet.
6) Let it sit for awhile.
7) Get the slide hammer and attach to the screw head.
8) Slide that hammer like you mean it. Repeat as needed.
9) You should be able to yank that sucker out.
10) Celebrate with a cold beverage.

Now I've learned something? Rrrright.....not to do that again. Good case lube can be your friend.

Aloha, Mark

PS...........having thought about it last night. Yes, I did use a slide hammer. But next time, I would probably use the method in post #41. As it's less violent.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads