JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm a fabricator/welder. I want to build a press like this but I want it heavier with some shelves for storage. It won't have or need the cinder block weight. If you have ever done this or have any ideas let me know.

image.jpg upload image online

I think you would be wishing for more table top there is no place to set things like loading blocks and empty cases, bullets and such, you might get by with it if you have a turret and don't need the space, but where do you put your loaded rounds? Almost every loading setup I've seen has a minimum of 24"X48" and most have far more.
Think it through and keep in mind future expansion.
Just sayin'
Gabby

That might work great if limited to neck sizing pistol cases. I do not know if it would work full length resizing big rifle cases. The big presses create a lot of up and down and side to side pressure. Even our big HD home made bench bolted to the wall works back and forth.

Two inch thick plywood top. 2x4 square legs. Six of them. Eight foot . Forty two, (42) inches high. Black rubber hall runner mat on top. The nice old 6 inch bench vise also is working loose but we tend to abuse it greatly with various projects. Your idea does have great merit.

Respectfully.

That looks like a Lee stand. Reviews were that it worked fine. If you really don't have any room, it seemed like a good way to go. I have seen folks who welded a 1/4" thick steel plate to the top and bottom of a pipe. Bolted one plate to the floor and drilled the top plate for the press.

I have mounted a press on this small table but built a wooden box riser on the top because I prefer standing to load with a progressive.
I store bullets on the bottom shelf instead of a patio block :D
workstation.jpg
I have found it easier to buy something and modify it than to build it, and I modify everything:rolleyes:
This looks promising for something to start with that could be strengthened via welding, too short for me though:
GrinderStand2.jpg
HF_PressStand.jpg
Both from Harbor Freight, and about 1/2 the cost of the Lee pictured.
jmo
:D

Last Edited:
I through threw this together today. The wood has been laying around the shop for years, glad I didn't through it away. At 50 pounds it's very strong. The press is temporarily C clamped on. The top still needs to be trimmed and finished.

View attachment 321708upload photos

View attachment 321709hosting images
Looks good. Make it so it can be taken apart easily for transport. Nothing like making rounds on the range or in the field when shooting in wide open spaces

Those stands are aimed at those who either don't have room for a "bench" or want to be able to load on site. Long ago when I started I did what I had seen many do as a kid. Press was mounted to plywood, that was C clamped to a table. When done it could be put away. I did this at first to make sure I wanted to do this. Then of course built a simple bench. Many use the plywood and C clamps for good. Since I "batch load" I don't need a lot of space
If I wanted to load on site I would buy another press. Simple single stage like a Lee. That and a easily portable stand would work fine for trial rounds at a range.

I have no intentions of reloading in the field. A year ago we sold the farm and moved into a much smaller place. I now have a 5' reloading bench. Im lucky enough to have a vacation home also and I have a 6' bench there. This stand would give me greater flexibility as I could use it at both locations. The legs come off on seconds. This is a prototype and will change many times before I make the final project.

I have no intentions of reloading in the field. A year ago we sold the farm and moved into a much smaller place. I now have a 5' reloading bench. Im lucky enough to have a vacation home also and I have a 6' bench there. This stand would give me greater flexibility as I could use it at both locations. The legs come off on seconds. This is a prototype and will change many times before I make the final project.

Should work great for what you're doing. Very easy to take from one place to another and set back up. Very solid looking so should work great for everything. Only problem I foresee is making sure you pack everything you need each time you move the press. I can see getting all set up and then reaching for..............only to say "damn, I forgot to bring............". Of course a solution would be to buy 2 of everything so there is 1 at each place. :)

A while back I acquired an motorized hospital bed at an auction for $5.00 and put a piece of plywood on the top in place of the mattress and side panels. It is rated for 500 lbs and can be moved around easily if needed or locked in place. It does take up a fare amount of space but I use it for a number of purposes, one of which is mounting my presses. It moves up and down to match my needs at the time. It originally was designed for beer brewing and the different heights helps at various stages especially for an old guy like me.

I through threw this together today. The wood has been laying around the shop for years, glad I didn't through it away. At 50 pounds it's very strong. The press is temporarily C clamped on. The top still needs to be trimmed and finished.

View attachment 321708upload photos

View attachment 321709hosting images
I think the words you were looking for were THREW and THROW As in threw together, and I didn't Throw it away. You didn't pass THROUGH the tunnel.
Spelling / grammar lesson for free. LOL
I personally don't think it looks Cheesy, Perhaps a little rough but for sure strong, The table top is large enough for loading trays at least, I personally would go a little larger, but the weight of such a laminated top might be a limiting factor.
I like the way you attached the legs to the top, and I know getting them angled properly takes skill. Then smoothing with a plane and light sanding , then some good spar varnish, will bring out the character of the wood. Should look great! Good job.
Gabby
PS
I think a small back board where you could attach dies and or screw drivers or other tools, if you think you would need them close at hand. Just a thought, would keep things from sliding or rolling off the back too

Last Edited:
Whatever works, I'm using an old trestle type picnic table and the loading equipment, has to share space with my scroll saw!
You can imagine the loads I get when I mix up the saw dust with the gun powder :eek: .
LOL :s0111: Only about the sawdust part though.
Gabby

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads