JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Reloading military brass requies a couple extra steps; for anyone new to the hobby (or call it water you like).

Some people may like to know....these tools are essential for getting O/F military brass ready for reloading.

Small Base Die Set to push machine gun fired brass back into shape.

2017-01-14-16-34-29--1500288483.jpeg

A head space checker to ensure the case will fully chamber...checks the length too.
2017-01-14-16-32-20--651119438.jpeg

A crimp remover; attached to a drill, hundreds can be done quickly. They come in S & L

2017-01-14-16-33-06--2070699553.jpeg
A quality and consistent Trimmer; getting the cases the exact and correct length is a good habbit.

2017-01-14-16-33-43--1073443094.jpeg

I have swaged 1000's of rounds and decided to do a test run on a few hundred 30-06 cases that had been military crimped. Ran a carbide nose 90* chamfering tool in my little drill press.run the drill press at the lowest rpm. Set a stop so it takes the exact same amount of material with every pull. After half a dozen reloadings still no loose pockets.

I've sized thousands of 30-'06, 7.62, and 5.56 cases with standard dies and have never had a problem. Just be sure to lube them well.

I also prefer the Dillon swage that 3MTA3 shows in the previous post. Has very good leverage so it doesn't require a lot of pressure and is much faster, at least for me, than reaming..

I have reloaded thousands of military 223 and 30/06. I use standard RCBS
full length dies. Properly adjust the sizer die with the RCBS Precision Mic.
RCBS Precision Mic 223 Remington
I use the Dillon Super Swage. I trim with the WFT. Have used many different
types of trimmers. Over the last 37 years of reloading. Love the WFT trimmer.
Little Crow Gunworks World's Finest Trimmer 6x45mm (6mm-223 Remington)
Last step is a RCBS Prep Center. Set up with a primer pocket uniformer,
deburring and chamfering. Uniform the primer pocket to prevent a high
primer. A high primer on a semi auto can result in a slam fire.:eek::eek::eek:
RCBS Trim Mate Case Prep Center 110 Volt
762d15.jpg

I would upgrade two things....

Go to a primer pocket swager
And a Wilson case trimmer.

Me; a consistent trimmer. I've been getting by with the Lee gauge and cutter combos and a cordless drill, but the gauge doesn't stay the same length over time. My rifle brass isn't exactly the same every time. Probably get this RCBS Trimmer.

2017-01-14-16-33-43-1073443094-jpeg.335339.jpg

The Wilson may be "over the top" for some shooters but there isn't a finer case trimmer made.
It holds the case in a much different way. It is built like a miniature lathe.
I bought mine when they were half the cost of what they are now.

678_RegTrim.jpg

Using a swager is slow in my opinion. Differences in case webbing make it difficult , 30 to 50 thousands in most cases , depending on lot. I used a deburring tool in a drill press. Quick and easy. I agree its easy to take out to much material . As per removing to much from the pockets , you ll know from gas leak around primer and loose pockets. Generally I dont use military brass unless its new. And M249 or anything fired from a full auto is not worth messing with in my opinion . .

Me; a consistent trimmer. I've been getting by with the Lee gauge and cutter combos and a cordless drill, but the gauge doesn't stay the same length over time. My rifle brass isn't exactly the same every time. Probably get this RCBS Trimmer.

View attachment 335427
I've gotten really good at using my RCBS trimmer. At first I managed to wreck a few cases by trimming them too small, mainly due to turning the micro-adjuster the wrong way. But now that I have the hang of it, everything just works now.

Using a swager is slow in my opinion. Differences in case webbing make it difficult , 30 to 50 thousands in most cases , depending on lot. I used a deburring tool in a drill press. Quick and easy. I agree its easy to take out to much material . As per removing to much from the pockets , you ll know from gas leak around primer and loose pockets. Generally I dont use military brass unless its new. And M249 or anything fired from a full auto is not worth messing with in my opinion . .

Yes but no.

While thicknesses vary that's where the human with intelligence comes in.

I set my RCBS a little tight but right where the cam starts working to my advantage. I use the same pressure and am not afraid to adjust the center rod between brass if I feel that they are getting tight too soon.

No bent rods, no under swaged pockets.

The Wilson may be "over the top" for some shooters but there isn't a finer case trimmer made.
It holds the case in a much different way. It is built like a miniature lathe.
I bought mine when they were half the cost of what they are now.

View attachment 335428

The Frankford Arsenal case prep center uses the shoulder as well. Easily adjustable by the .005" with marks on the housing. :)

Thats why I went to new brass, Processing is a whole other game from loading

Good stuff!

I do that if I'm putting an expensive topping on the case; accubonds etc. But OK with what could be called O/F or mediocre brass, for other "things".

A friend buys new un-fired LC brass some someplace....

I step on brass every week at the range; hate to leave it lay...hate to scrap it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top