JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am a bit of a reloading Newb. I learned on 9mm and have done about 2500 with my single lee setup.

I'd like to move on to .223 for my ARs.

I have casings, primers, and powder. I don't know which bullets to buy though. I would like some cheaper range ammo to start off with and learn from so not a big quantity, maybe 200.

Any recommendations?

Oh and if you have a suggestion for dies, that would help. I guess I need a trimming die also?

My opinion.....just buy some......

For bullets.
FMJs from say Hornady or Winchester. I started with 55 gr. They usually have a cannelure that will/could be your crimp groove. Crimping in the groove will normally put you "close enough" (for a COAL) and will more than likely also allow you to fit it into a magazine without problems.

For dies.
Buy the brand that you are currently using. Assuming that you like your brand. The same colored boxes/containers sitting on the shelf all together looks nice. Rrrrright.

Trimmer.
That could/would depend on how fast of a production you want. Not to mention, how much of a ding your wallet will take.

Aloha, Mark

Lots of options. Would depend upon the rifle (twist, bullet weight, etc.). One option:

Dies...depends upon how much precision shooting you do vs cost. If you are going to use military caings, you'll want to get a separate decapping pin (or many like Squirrel Daddy) or a universal decapping die. Another die you may want to consider is a Lee factory crimp die which is included in their pacesetter set but not the two die RGB set..

Trim die if you use that particular system. Lee has two systems, one uses a trim die and the other quick trim system which doesn't. Lyman, Hornady, (RCBS may have ?) a trim system which doesn't use a trim die.

Cheap 55 grain would do. Hornady are decent bullets. I use them for training bullets.

You will need to trim the brass and slightly chamfer inside and out after trimming. Lyman, RCBS and Hornady make basic trimmers and chamfer tools that would work.

Crimping is optional. Most of my match bullets don't even have crimp grooves. I never crimp any rifle rounds unless I am shooting lead or using them in a tubular magazine.

Avoid crimped primer brass starting out. It just adds another step and more tools to the process and getting a method figured out to remove the crimp complicates things.

My preference is Hornady for rifle dies. They are good quality for the price and have some nice features. They also are good enough to make match grade ammo.

If you want better accuracy and the added bonus of decent performance on varmints, consider ordering some of these:
For a little more money, a much better bullet, IMO. MidSouth is the only place I have ever seen them, and they are back in stock after being unavailable for the previous 6 months or so. You might want to grab some while you can. I have another 500 on the way to join the 1,000+ already on hand. Another one to consider when you want to extend further down range are RMR's 69 gr BTHP. Very accurate and affordable.
Here are some recent groups with the RMR bullets from my Stag Model 6. The Hornady 62 gr BTHP tends to group at least as well.

12E55180-A807-4420-AF25-350746A61555.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads