JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Give a man a box of ammo and he'll shoot for a day. Teach a man to reload and he'll shoot for a lifetime.

....and have storage boxes stacked, filled with all imaginable calibers of brass. Cubbies on the bench, and walls, stacked with die sets. 10-15-20 different powders in 1#,4# and 8# jugs.........
I've seen it. Right here on THIS board!

....and have storage boxes stacked, filled with all imaginable calibers of brass. Cubbies on the bench, and walls, stacked with die sets. 10-15-20 different powders in 1#,4# and 8# jugs.........
I've seen it. Right here on THIS board!
I get a kick out of Miculek's wall of bullets.. not ammo, bullets.

I love that video that starts with him counting his boxes!
"Two million seven, two million eight, two million nine, two million ten...oh! Hey guys!"

this thread is about 1.5 years old..but it did inspire me! This morning, for "old times sake" I loaded 300 rounds of 9mm using a Lee press, RCBS scale, and a Lee powder measure--all bought approx 30 years ago. Single stage, batch loading. I have upgraded the equipment over the years, but this time I went "old school". Took some time, but I wasn't doing anything anyway. I will admit, with "blasting" ammo, I have been buying case lots of 9mm and 223, mainly because I don't like all those little bullets! Money saved? at current prices yes. I do believe in the practice of "buy it while you can, all that you can". It's not, however, all about the dollars. I have not shot a deer or elk with a factory round in 40 years. All my hunting rounds are MY selection of case, powder, and bullet--decided by bullet performance and accuracy, not cost. I can tell you, 7 mag, 25-06, 7mm08, and 257 Roberts are VERY expensive at cabelas. My milsurps digest mainly surplus 8mm, 7mm, 7.65, 7.55, and several 30 cals, because I bought CASES "in the day" (I do have all the dies to cover those calibers). Whatever the reason, its your choice to load, or go factory.
.....BUT, I still change my own oil.
Cheapdad

There's something special about..... "MY guns, MY loads!" ;)

No doubt. When you handcraft ammo, at least to me it feels like the brass is as much one of the parts of the firearm as anything else.

... This morning, for "old times sake" I loaded 300 rounds of 9mm using a Lee press, RCBS scale, and a Lee powder measure--all bought approx 30 years ago. Single stage, batch loading. I have upgraded the equipment over the years, but this time I went "old school". Took some time, but I wasn't doing anything anyway. ...

Awesome -- and compared to the 9mm stock on the shelves at my LGS yesterday (none except for the exotics which run over a buck a round pre-panic-pricing), you made an infinity times as much as they had for sale.

I have no doubt of cost savings in terms of dollars, now factor in time, if I reloaded I have less time to shoot. I'll continue to buying bulk ammo in 9mm and 223/556 as that is what I overwhelmingly shoot.

I just spent two hours sitting at my bench processing 50 spent 9mm cases from my last plinking session into reloaded target ammo. Two hours. I have a single stage press. I never imagined that I would be wasting my precious time off reloading 9mm plinking ammo, but here we are.

The good ol' days of stopping by Walmart before heading to the range to grab 200 rounds of decent 9mm for $30 are long gone, unfortunately.

I just spent two hours sitting at my bench processing 50 spent 9mm cases from my last plinking session into reloaded target ammo. Two hours. I have a single stage press. I never imagined that I would be wasting my precious time off reloading 9mm plinking ammo, but here we are.

The good ol' days of stopping by Walmart before heading to the range to grab 200 rounds of decent 9mm for $30 are long gone, unfortunately.
Contrary to my contemporaries who back in rhe day took every opportunity to deride the 9mm as folly/a waste, it was the first cartridge I loaded for and I continue to do so, only stopped during a stretch when it was provided free to me.
Now the tables are turned and it's the everymans cartridge.

Equations with garbage inputs result in garbage outputs.
20200825_045124.jpg
My time is too precious to reload.

View attachment 740115
Your argument is specious.. I mean precious.

I just started doing my own 45acp and 9mm in the last couple months, and I was actually pleasantly surprised with how much more quiet my 9mm subsonics were out of my cans than factory AE 147gr subs. They are about 75fps slower, but that hardly matters for me, they're still accurate and don't tumble.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top