JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I do not reload, but Dad did and I know how.

This is how I explain to layman why I build guitar pedals instead of buy them.

I have amassed thousands of dollars in parts and tools and nearly a decade of research so I can build a $150.00 pedal for $40.00.

... For most calibers, the professionals can make it better and cheaper. ...

I will agree they can make it cheaper (EDIT: will they sell it cheaper though?), but the can't make it specifically tuned to my firearms. Tuning ammo is a thing and it is real.

They test, have quality control (including recalls with lot numbers), absorb all liability for kabooms and resulting damage or injuries, and have state of the art up to date equipment and training and cover all the overhead.

Agreed

... Do you keep lot inventory numbers in case you have a QC error and need to retrace your errors and dispose of entire lots of bullets?

Obviously I won't have so formal a system as a commercial seller, but every box I load has a slip inside indicating COAL (pistol) or BTOL (rifle), case manufacturer, bullet (brand, name, weight, and designation), the primer used, the powder name and weight, the date, and my test group size at X distance.

(1)... As a store of value, new ammo isn't great but it isn't terrible. Reloaded ammo is worth almost nothing in economic terms, and it's value is entirely limited to the reloader or anyone willing
to risk shooting it. ...

(2)... And to liability. If I have a kaboom with factory ammo, the company that made it will be on the hook for the gun, magazine, all the ammo in the lot sold, and any economic or medical costs to the shooter and anyone injured. ...

(3)... If a reloader kabooms, he's going to be out the cost of the gun, and on his own for any medical. Might even be sued if someone is hurt. ...

1. Agreed

2. Agreeish -- depending on the manufacture, extracting the value of the firearm may be more or less cost feasible.

3. Agreed

As for kabooms, I pay pretty close attention online and while it's a "self-reporting" incident, I'd recon the reported embarrassing kabooms of reloaders vs. factory is probably 10 to 1. I'd venture that many reloaders won't admit it, whereas not the case with factory loads and most would be reported.

To engage in a bit of whataboutery though, I suspect (without broad evidence, just personal anecdote) that most reloaders are in general more careful shooters and won't be shooting at moving brush and killing a father and child, so liability may be a bit of wash there.

---

All that said, the satisfaction I get out of reloading is incalculable in monetary terms. It's easily half the fun of shooting, maybe more.

Last Edited:
I'm really not sure what price to put on custom tailored ammo. I am unable to purchase ammo that shoots as accurately what I am able to load for my rifles.

I do believe there are people who will do this for money. Maybe comparing the cost of that to what I can produce would be more apples to apples.

Bulk blasting 9mm, I can totally see the argument against.

I have amassed thousands of dollars in parts and tools and nearly a decade of research so I can build a $150.00 pedal for $40.00.

If we're being honest -- this is every hobby out there. For me personally, it isn't so much about whether I can do it cheaper -- it's about whether I can do it at all. Learning stuff never goes out of style even if it is expensive and/or time consuming. I don't regret anything I've ever learned.

If we're being honest -- this is every hobby out there. For me personally, it isn't so much about whether I can do it cheaper -- it's about whether I can do it at all. Learning stuff never goes out of style even if it is expensive and/or time consuming. I don't regret anything I've ever learned.
Learn how to sail then you will know regret

Learn how to sail then you will know regret

Already have a boat and spent a summer repairing gel-coat blisters (amongst other things) when I first got it. Learned some stuff I didn't know from knowledgeable people. Don't regret it. Won't do it again though! ;-)

Same with refinishing teak -- next time I just sand off the old varnish and skip the Cetol.

EDIT: as I sit here thinking, I really want to say bubblegum teak. Maybe I do regret learning about that -- nothing but a black hole of time.

I will agree they can make it cheaper (EDIT: will they sell it cheaper though?), but the can't make it specifically tuned to my firearms. Tuning ammo is a thing and it is real.

Agreed

Obviously I won't have so formal a system as a commercial seller, but every box I load has a slip inside indicating COAL (pistol) or BTOL (rifle), case manufacturer, bullet (brand, name, weight, and designation), the primer used, the powder name and weight, the date, and my test group size at X distance.

1. Agreed

2. Agreeish -- depending on the manufacture, extracting the value of the firearm may be more or less cost feasible.

3. Agreed

To engage in a bit of whataboutery though, I suspect (without broad evidence, just personal anecdote) that most reloaders are in general more careful shooters and won't be shooting at moving brush and killing a father and child, so liability may be a bit of wash there.

---

All that said, the satisfaction I get out of reloading is incalculable in monetary terms. It's easily half the fun of shooting, maybe more.

Thank you for the honest refreshing conversation. It seems that it's not an ECONOMIC argument, but one of pleasure. And I'm all for an enjoyable past time.

So many reloaders get so angry at reality of this. I don't object to reloading, I think it's a great hobby and am totally for it. I give reloaders my brass all the time. I love the fact that knowledgeable reloaders exist. It's a wonderful past time.

But for MOST it's not economical as touted. Sure, some niche calibers or situations maybe. But most have to ignore overhead, time, liability, inventory and QC economic risks, and ignore opportunity costs (e.g. exercise, time with family, etc.) and so forth to pretend it's economically sound.

Thank you for the honest refreshing conversation. It seems that it's not an ECONOMIC argument, but one of pleasure. And I'm all for an enjoyable past time.

So many reloaders get so angry at reality of this. I don't object to reloading, I think it's a great hobby and am totally for it. I give reloaders my brass all the time. I love the fact that knowledgeable reloaders exist. It's a wonderful past time.

But for MOST it's not economical as touted. Sure, some niche calibers or situations maybe. But most have to ignore overhead, time, liability, inventory and QC economic risks, and ignore opportunity costs (e.g. exercise, time with family, etc.) and so forth to pretend it's economically sound.

Don't give me too much credit. I still add up the cost of powder, bullets, and primers and feel like I got a bargain. ;-)

Wow this debate is still alive? One should never go into reloading purely for economic benefit. I can buy fish at the store cheaper for the most part but add in the cost of a good therapist and catching it myself may just pen out. Carry on!

Wow this debate is still alive? One should never go into reloading purely for economic benefit. I can buy fish at the store cheaper for the most part but add in the cost of a good therapist and catching it myself may just pen out. Carry on!

No way. I would be surprised if you ended up at less than $50/lb without a boat, and about $500/lb with a boat. Therapy dosn't cost that much! ;-)

EDIT: .45 v. 9mm, 1911 v. Glock, Reloading v. not -- all can be counted on for long tired threads. But we all know we love 'em.

Huh, I must be doing it wrong. I've been making my own ammo for about 40 years. First off the price to roll my own was quite a bit less than factory, and you are right not factoring in my time. Then I discovered I could make better more accurate ammo than I could buy. I could also make different ammo than I could buy. Shortly after I started reloading I got into competitive shooting and saw that most everyone rolled their own and those that thought they'd be competitive with cheap factory ammo just plain weren't. This is where the time factor comes in, I was willing to invest the time to make the best ammo I could to be the best competitor I could be. I believe that time is money well spent.
Fast forward to now and I'm retired from my day job so have that time available to do other things. I know this isn't for everyone, but I own a small ammunition manufacturing business, all legal, licensed and insured. The time I spent back then developing the best loads I could is now paying me back if you will, with my line of quality ammo that I market at a fair price. I'll not go into a deep business dissertation but will say for me at least, making ammo makes me money and it all started with that first round of 45 Colt 40+ years ago.

The only way you can save any money by reloading is to not shoot at all. The only way a guy can save money is by not spending it. Yes reloading is cheaper then buyingfactory ammo but you spend money (not save it) every time you buy powder or primers.

I do however appreciate the actual cost that it takes to reload your 9mm/ 300blk. Thats pretty cool that you took the time to give us the accualy cost per round. I would. Love to know my CPR for 357mag, 45 colt and 308.

If you like ro reload and you like to shoot. Why do you have to justify the cost ? Cuz frankly lets say i have $40 to spend to go shooting. Now i could by 2 boxes of 308 and shoot 40 times. Or i can relaod and shoot 100 times. I still spent $40 so i didnt save any money but i got to shoot more and thats justification enough for me to keep reloading.

Enough threads about reloading have gone down this track of not evaluating one's time...The points been made to ad nauseam, so unless there's something else or original, let's move on and stay on topic.

The only way you can save any money by reloading is to not shoot at all. The only way a guy can save money is by not spending it. Yes reloading is cheaper then buyingfactory ammo but you spend money (not save it) every time you buy powder or primers.

I do however appreciate the actual cost that it takes to reload your 9mm/ 300blk. Thats pretty cool that you took the time to give us the accualy cost per round. I would. Love to know my CPR for 357mag, 45 colt and 308.

If you like ro reload and you like to shoot. Why do you have to justify the cost ? Cuz frankly lets say i have $40 to spend to go shooting. Now i could by 2 boxes of 308 and shoot 40 times. Or i can relaod and shoot 100 times. I still spent $40 so i didnt save any money but i got to shoot more and thats justification enough for me to keep reloading.

You did save money if you considered buying 100 rounds, because would you have really stopped at 40?

I can assemble 55gr sp in .223 for just shy of $0.20 a piece, That's a 3 cent primer, 8 cent bullet bought in bulk on sale combined with credit card 5%, and 8 cents in powder, same method. So for example 200 rounds is going to cost me $40 in components. If bought the same ammo I like to shoot from hornady, it's a lot more per round.

If i go to the range with the intention of training through 200 round. I just spent $40 on reloading costs. Compared to to the $0.54 per round on sale at midway right now which comes out to $108 - so a savings of $68 - it takes me about 30 minutes to load 100 rounds. I've found that amount of time to be slow enough mistakes aren't made, quick enough to get it done in a timely manner, 1hr spent reloading (Something I enjoy) and saving $68 so I can go shoot, (something I enjoy) seems like a win-win.

I have from time to time thought about reloading for my modern guns...
At the moment I do not have the funds to get started , the room to use and the time to devote to it.

In regards to time spent...
Your time , is your time to spend how you choose...
If you get enjoyment and value from how you choose to spend your time...then that is all that matters.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top