JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'am just wondering what most of you do when you look to the reloading manuals to reload and there is a data difference from one mamual and the other, example: Hornady 3rd edition 45Acp,185gr jHP,Herco powder,starting load 7.0gr ......Reloading guide for Hercules powders (unsure of date but is about 15 years old) 45 Acp ,185gr JHP,Herco pwder,Max load 7.0gr....You see what I mean one shows a starting and the other a do not exceed for the same gr. of the same powder, and bullet.

for one, i dont use 15 y/o reloading data. i will use 3 years out of date data but thats ONLY if i cant find anything else.

with the web, you should be able to find something better and more current. ive seen previous editions reloading manuals at Powells since they are the ones i sold them.

but to answer your question, (assuming more current data), i will use the more conservative load and work my way up. BUt this will depend on 1. If the round is for an Autoloader or revovler. If its for a revolver, i will use a load where its comfortable to shot/min leading since most of my rounds are for plinking. also, depending on the powder/bullet combo, i will try to use a load where i dont get alot of unburnt powder.

if its for an autolaoder, i will work up the load to wehre the gun functions in one or all of my autoloaders of the same caliber. also, again with the unbrunt powder issues if any.

Differences in loading data, especially when comparing old and new, can be due to the differences in the actual date of powder production. Powders are manufactured to a tolerance. There are differences. Use the most current data from the powder manufacturer as possible. Also if approaching the heavier loads, use the exact components as listed in the book. Be aware though that your gun will have different internal chamber dimmensions than used in the book causing different pressures. Unless you are skilled at reading subtle pressure signs in your gun, be very wary when using old data and new components. It can be disasterous. Happy shooting

I use the Hodgdon Annuals at about $8-9 you can get the most recent. Old Speer books are way hot to use. New Nosler offers a hot 35 Whelen load in 225gr Accub. bullet at 2800fps; they say it's within bounds though.

IIf you compare the loads in the new books they will not make factory loads of today.. We are so worried about the liablity thing and being able to sue for more that you ever could make for yourself. So they down load the newer books...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top