JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Anyone loading 90 gr - 125 gr subsonic loads for 300 Blackout in bolt rifles? Any other powder than Trail Boss? Accuracy?
No but I've used "The Load" for decades in various rifles. Here's a condensed description on it.
Good luck and as they always say when trying to get especially a long jacketed slug (not that you are) to sub-sonic, "work down your loads carefully" as they are exceedingly sucky to get out of the barrel. Be careful and good luck.

http://members.shaw.ca/cronhelm/TheLoad.html

I just worked up a load using a 220 gr Hornady round nose in a 8 1/2 Ar and a bowers can.
1-10 twist micro grove barrel
220 gr
11.8 gr 4198
980-1020 fps
OAL 2.10
checked with can on

Why load light bullets at sub sonic speeds?
You need some energy to be worth while.
Lower the speed,lower the energy,lower the weight,lower the energy
Now you may as well use a pistol caliber
Makes no sense to me

Why load light bullets at sub sonic speeds?
You need some energy to be worth while.
Lower the speed,lower the energy,lower the weight,lower the energy
Now you may as well use a pistol caliber
Makes no sense to me
A .30 250 grain 2" long hunk of lead will break every bone in your body and make a hole much larger than a shotgun slug, especially when it goes sideways.
And they are quiet.

A .30 250 grain 2" long hunk of lead will break every bone in your body and make a hole much larger than a shotgun slug, especially when it goes sideways.
And they are quiet.

Absolutely correct...250 grain will.

The original OP is asking about building up subsonic rounds using 90-120gr projectiles. A smaller, slow moving projectile = much lower energy.
A 120grain 300blk subsonic round traveling 1045ft-sec has as much energy as 17 HMR.
I don't see the point.

upload_2015-6-28_18-56-45.png

For nutria eradication in an area where noise must be kept to a minimum. 90 gr Hornady XTP will expand at sub velocity and with a can on a bolt gun there is no noise. Heavy bullets will go through small animals without expanding. Also the cost of heavy bullets vs XTPs is prohibitive for me.

I'm curious about this one now...
barrel length? twist?
distance?
high altitude? sea level?

As far as powder goes, I know the IMR 4227 is pretty popular.

I don't know much about nutria so you'll have to help me. What type of other animal does it compare to when it comes to hunting them? Do they have a tough hide? Are you mainly going for soft tissue shots or hard bone/skull shots? Just trying to take penetration into account.

Have been shooting Subs from, 30-221 Rem. / whisper / BLK . with loaded Light weight bullets for years .
( 90 to 110 to 135 grn. weight ) . along with the heavies also .
believe me they have there place with more than 200 ft/lb. impact energy @ 100 yrd . in subsonic Vel. & that is plenty energy to kill game .
Also . The benefits for lighter weight sub-Vel. & Suppressed, is that they can be made much quieter with using the right powders . reduce expanding muzzle gasses with faster burning pistol powders and Faster burn pistol powders for 9mm & .45acp work very well with light weight .30 cal. bullets .

Trailboss sucks Donkeyball for Whisper/BLK subsonic loads . It performs very poorly . You need to dump the Trailboss . It beneficial designed is to ' Fill Case Volume ' . You don't need that in a small case volume caliber case like, Whisper / BLK .
Trailboss is better in design to accommodate and ' fill case volume ' in , ( .308 win.) subsonic velocity loads .
-----
Lightweight .30 cal. subsonic vel. bullets like 90 to 110 grn. weight . Has more than enough kill energy on game . How many things have you killed or put holes threw with just using energy of match .22 LR rimfire ammo ? . subsonic .22LR is grossly underestimated in it impact energy .

( loose energy impact examples )
240 grn .30 @ subsonic vel . ... 500+ ft/lb energy impact @ 100 yrd .
110 grn. .30 @ subsonic vel. ... 200+ ft/lb energy impact @ 100 yrd .
40 grn .22 LR rimfire . Subsonic vel. .. 80 ft/lb energy impact @ 100 yrd.

.17HMR @ 2500 fps vel. ... 200 ft/lb impact energy @ 100 yrd.
.357 Mag. 125 grn bullet . @ 1400 fps vel. . 460 ft/lb impact energy @ 100 yrd .
556/223 . 55 grn weight @ 2900 fps vel. . . 800 ft/lb impact energy @ 100 yrd .

For nutria eradication in an area where noise must be kept to a minimum. 90 gr Hornady XTP will expand at sub velocity and with a can on a bolt gun there is no noise. Heavy bullets will go through small animals without expanding. Also the cost of heavy bullets vs XTPs is prohibitive for me.
-
And there is the point well made . Bullet choice and bullet design for perforce at Subsonic Velocities on game . Normal industry bullet jackets on .30 rifle bullets, they will not perform/expand at subsonic Vel. . and It will just punch strait threw . If you take the XTP's or the Speer 110 grn .30 M1carbine HP soft points . They perform much better on expansion and work really good on nutria and coyotes and also small blacktail in closer ranges .

Tried the powders I could find for 300 BO with 90gr XTPs loaded subsonic. Clays, VV 340 and Trail Boss. All grouped about 1.5 - 2.5" at 50 yards at 900 - 1050 fps. Trail Boss grouped somewhat better than the others. Tried crimped and no crimp, not much difference.
Tried a filler with the three powders. Finally found a good result with 4.4 grains Trail Boss with filler (used Cream of Wheat) and no crimp. 980 fps average with 45 fps max spread. Groups 0.6" at 50 yds. This load works in my Ruger American, 1x7 twist. Will wait to see how suppressor affects results.

Tried the powders I could find for 300 BO with 90gr XTPs loaded subsonic. Clays, VV 340 and Trail Boss. All grouped about 1.5 - 2.5" at 50 yards at 900 - 1050 fps. Trail Boss grouped somewhat better than the others. Tried crimped and no crimp, not much difference.
Tried a filler with the three powders. Finally found a good result with 4.4 grains Trail Boss with filler (used Cream of Wheat) and no crimp. 980 fps average with 45 fps max spread. Groups 0.6" at 50 yds. This load works in my Ruger American, 1x7 twist. Will wait to see how suppressor affects results.
I wonder if that cream o wheat will clog yer can.

Hadn't hought of that. Anyone have any thoughts on fillers and suppressors?
I know that Red Dot isn't position sensitive. That's about all I know! However, I know the innards of cans to be quite complex and could well get gummed up with kapok or COW etc. I don't think I'd do it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top