JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ad Type
  1. For Sale
Price
$20
Manufacturer
RCBS
Caliber
Other / Not Listed
City
Milwaukie
State
Oregon
Zip Code
Hello all, I'd like to announce that I have set up two reloading benches in my shop for rental at 20 dollars an hour/session. Bring your own materials, or make a group project with your friends, as its flat rate per bench. call or text 503 683 3060 and i'll answer as fast as possible. We have one really vintage pacific press, and a rock chucker standard. I have lots of other firearm specific tools too, but that's going in another thread. Thanks guys.

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
I'm really digging your idea! I hope you get some well deserved business! I know if somebody were offering services like this when I started I would've taken it up. Good on you. I also saw your listing for 80% help and I really think more people need to do this type of thing. I have helped a handful of people learn to reload or make their own firearm and I can't think of any better way to support our 2nd ammendment!

I'm really digging your idea! I hope you get some well deserved business! I know if somebody were offering services like this when I started I would've taken it up. Good on you. I also saw your listing for 80% help and I really think more people need to do this type of thing. I have helped a handful of people learn to reload or make their own firearm and I can't think of any better way to support our 2nd ammendment!
can't ban knowledge.

I'd like to be your first customer. I've been reloading for awhile and generally works fine. I have trouble with 357 though. I would like for you to look at my reloads an fired cases and give me some pointers.

I'd like to be your first customer. I've been reloading for awhile and generally works fine. I have trouble with 357 though. I would like for you to look at my reloads an fired cases and give me some pointers.
What kind of trouble? My partner is more knowledgeable than I am in this field but I was taught so far that the straight walled cases were the easy ones

Flattened primers. I am using the minimum charge of W296 and Winchester small magnum primers. I am in the middle of moving and will post some pictures in a couple of weeks when I get my bench set back up

Flattened primers. I am using the minimum charge of W296 and Winchester small magnum primers. I am in the middle of moving and will post some pictures in a couple of weeks when I get my bench set back u
Edit: totally misunderstood the problem. Real answer below.

Last Edited:
Flattened primers. I am using the minimum charge of W296 and Winchester small magnum primers. I am in the middle of moving and will post some pictures in a couple of weeks when I get my bench set back up
Flattened Primers - A sign of Higher than normal pressure.
Win 296
needs help from the magnum-primers. No problem here, but it won't hurt trying a couple standard primers.
What type of crimp is being used and how much pressure is applied with the crimp?
Bullet design and seating depth are part of this equation. Your OAL?
Some powders can cause excessive pressure, when not enough is used. To low of a powder charge can cause flattened-primers also. Any of the primers, have holes in the pins detent from blow back? Win 295 & H110 are almost the same powder. Lee 2nd Edition manual shows, standard primers used with H110, not magnums??? Min OAL is listed at 1.580
Have you been able to chrono any of the loads? Erratic pressure can cause FP.
Just trying to eliminate as many variables as possible.
Don't forget the pistol, in this hunt for answers.

Last Edited:
WARNING for loads using Win 296, with 357 magnum, the bullets require a heavy-crimp, light-crimps could result in a "squib-load", resulting in firearm and or personal damage.
What is your barrel length? It make a difference with this slower powder (Win296). Should be at least 6" or longer. I would not be using a Minimum load with this powder. I'd start about 10% under Max. and work my way up using a chronograph. What are the bullet type and weight? These will have a bearing on load-data also.
Do you have your heart set on using Win296? It's better suited for 41 Mag or 44 Mag.
There are much better powders for the 357 Mag, giving you better burn, density and velocity.
Not to rush you, whenever you get set up again.

I appreciate all the input, I will check this as soon as I finish moving. I am using a heavy crimp and been seating in the cannalure of the 158 grain Magtech JSP bullets I am using. I will measure OAL. I no sold on Win296, just what I bought when I first tried to reload 357. Originally I loaded at 10% below max and had flattened primers, so I stopped. I was only using magnum rounds for when I was hunting so I didn't need alot. I was planning on trying 2400 when I find some. Let me know if you think there is something better. I don't have a chronograph, but need to get one anyway. One thing of interest that was stated was barrel length. I have a 4 inch barrel, not a 6 inch.

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

I appreciate all the input, I will check this as soon as I finish moving. I am using a heavy crimp and been seating in the cannalure of the 158 grain Magtech JSP bullets I am using. I will measure OAL. I no sold on Win296, just what I bought when I first tried to reload 357. Originally I loaded at 10% below max and had flattened primers, so I stopped. I was only using magnum rounds for when I was hunting so I didn't need alot. I was planning on trying 2400 when I find some. Let me know if you think there is something better. I don't have a chronograph, but need to get one anyway. One thing of interest that was stated was barrel length. I have a 4 inch barrel, not a 6 inch.

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.
The 4" barrel, should have a faster burning powder, believe it or not. Same holds true for a rifle, the longer the barrel, the more time to burn all the powder, as the bullet exits.
Ideally you want 100% burn, meaning all the powder burns inside the barrel, with none exiting. This is where the right powder, with a particular length case and barrel length all coexist as a single projectile.
I'll do some research for you as to some of the better powders to use with a 357 Mag. Bullet weight will have an effect, on which powders too use also.

Last Edited:
The 4" barrel, should have a faster burning powder, believe it or not. Same holds true for a rifle, the longer the barrel, the more time to burn all the powder, as the bullet exits.
Ideally you want 100% burn, meaning all the powder burns inside the barrel, with none exiting. This is where the right powder, with a particular length case and barrel length all coexist as a single projectile flinging unit.
I'll do some research for you as to some of the better powders to use with a 357 Mag. Bullet weight will have an effect, on which powders too use also.
This guy is seriously good. It wasn't until one of my college classes last year that I truly understood the why-s of this, but this explanation is spot on. The reason the slower powder in a same length .44 is because there is more volume behind the bullet and space for it to burn under pressure. Hopefully one eye can find better words for this lol

This guy is seriously good. It wasn't until one of my college classes last year that I truly understood the why-s of this, but this explanation is spot on. The reason the slower powder in a same length .44 is because there is more volume behind the bullet and space for it to burn under pressure. Hopefully one eye can find better words for this lol
You hit the nail on the head, my friend. Your explanation is spot-on.

Pretty good, I have almost everything back together. I took a couple of photos for show and tell. To recap:
357 with 13.2 grains of W296 (minimum load)
158 grain Magtech SJSP
Winchester SPM primer
Crimped in cannalure, OAL 1.572
4 inch barrel
To me the primers are flattened

Barrel length was a question for W296 powder, I did some checking online and found 2400 and Longshot may be better powder choices, I am looking for 1250 to 1400 FPS with a 158 grain bullet.
357 Cartridge.jpg 357 primer.jpg

How is the shop going?
Guy
Hey guy it's going well, i have to update my sponsorship package and catch up on loads of homework, so it's mostly been self serve type of clients coming over for non-gun stuff. Auto and furniture building people.. I haven't forgotten ya though buddy, I really underestimated my course load for CAD classes at clackamas this summer and I'm looking to get it done so I can build my custom 10mm 1911.

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top