JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So iv got a .40 and 9mm..... 9mm seems non existent and when I do find it im only allowed 100-150 per visit...I don't shoot a lot ( actually haven't gone in over 2 years lol, having kids will do that to ya) but im wanting to get my stock up... Iv got 550 of .40 and only 100 9mm, I was curious if you all though it would be better to get a decent reloader and all the supplies and start that up as a little hobby, or are bullets, powder, primers and shells hard to come by as well? When I go shooting I like to shoot a lot.. to make to trip worth it... So Im not against reloading and stocking up

Interestingly enough I was asking myself that same question while perusing the Three Forks Ammo and Reloading shop in Cle Elum. Three Forks Ammo Reloading | Cle Elum They have all the supplies one could ask for. Presses, primers, powder, bullets, brass etc.

I think that it is. I don't currently reload but am going to in the very near future. It will be a way to insulate myself from the vagaries of the hoarders who only buy factory ammo and it will drive down the price of my ammo. Additionally, I'll be able to make better precision ammo over the factory stuff. Finally, since I'm trying to get into IDPA and IPSC regularly I can tune the ammo to meet the Power Factor but not exceed it dramatically. That reduces recoil and allows for faster subsequent shots.

Currently finding the components to reload has been harder then finding the ammunition to shoot. Now once things normalize stocking up on components and the means to reload isn't a bad idea. Its a good skill to have regardless.

Reloading is worth it if you enjoy shooting regularly. If you only get out to shoot a couple times per year you will find out that the overall cost to reload is more than a couple of boxes of ammunition. In addition, you have to make time to spend reloading, the more you shoot, the more time you have go spend reloading. Reloading is an awesome hobby buy you need to have the patience to perform repetitive processes while paying attention to details. Reloading is a great skill to learn and you will find that the ammunition you make is often more accurate than factory ammunition.

The initial buy-in is the hardest part. Getting everything you need is a big out of pocket money dump. BUT, I can load up a thousand rounds of .40 for what it would cost me to buy 150 rounds retail. Even then I am tailoring my load for my specific firearms and not a 'middle ground' round made to work in just about anything.

If you've got the time and the initial investment capital I can honestly not think of a reason that reloading is bad. Well...if you only shoot .22 it would be. Still can't get those primers to seat properly.

heres a post I put In another thread about wondering about a good reloader to purchase.

Well I got a guy wanting to trade me a reloading set up for my trailer I'm selling ($1500) or trading , here's a pic and a copy of the email he sent me about it. Sadly the only calibers I have right now are 9mm an .40. Also how much is all this worth?

The progressive isnt even a year old and is set up for 223 and 45acp. I have another quick change plate and powder die for it that I was gonna do 308 with.It just needs another set of 308 dies and would be ready to crank them out. You can piece the quick changes together for cheaper than the kits cost for any caliber up to 50bmg I think. The single stage will load every die I have and can go up to 50bmg. I have dies for 45acp, 223, 25-06, 270, 30-30, 308, 7mag. Doubles and triples of some like 223 and 45 and maybe 25-06 I think. There is probably 15-20 pounds of varying powders, 1200-1300 assorted caliber bullets including match grade 308 and Hornady FTX 30 cal. Bunch of speer stuff. Around 14,000 assorted primers. Just the primers are probably worth 500 bucks. Around 250-300 bucks worth of once fired brass thats mostly 223 and 45acp but a little of everything. A bunch of ammo cases and little boxes for parts. 2 loading manuals. A mini fridge to keep powder and primers in for moisture protection. All the stuff Ive gathered over like 5 years I guess. All my stuff was bought new and kept in my office. Ill try to get you some pics tonight or tomorrow..

7B771732-BA75-482F-A52E-401D0F82CB9A-593-00000032A4F525DB.jpg

Reloading is an awesome hobby buy you need to have the patience to perform repetitive processes while paying attention to details. Reloading is a great skill to learn and you will find that the ammunition you make is often more accurate than factory ammunition.
Ditto. I have often responded in similar threads and always the same. Reloading should be taken up as an extension of your interest in shooting and firearms, and not as just a chore to save money. As previously stated you will save (eventually after initial costs are 'absorbed') but the ability to tailor ammo to your own needs or for better performance in your guns is priceless. Also once you get some supplies built up you will always have a ready supply of ammo whenever you want - this is what saved me on the first, and the latest go around of ammo availability which I only noticed when I saw the empty shelves, but was not affected by it. You do however need to understand reloading is a science as well as a hobby and requires dedicated concentration, reading and follow up study and, as stated before, you need to have the patience to perform repetitive tasks while maintaining a serious attention to detail. Reloading is not for everyone and you should find someone who does so you can assist and give it a try before investing in equipment.

If you like to shoot a lot yes it is. In 2011, my son and I had gotten into IDPA and USPSA shooting and were burning quite a bit of ammo. Nevertheless, I was on the fence as you could still find boxes of 9mm at $10. I had a complete list of items needed to start reloading ready to go. The Clackamas mall event led me to pull the trigger and order a dillon 650, 9mm and .45 dies and ancillary items. I have been able to find powder, primers and bullets periodically and stockpiled a nice quantity of each. This year, we have reloaded and shot literally thousands of rounds of very high quality and custom tailored 9mm and .45. We don't shoot factory ammo in the pistols anymore.

This guy seems to be a minimalist when it comes to reloading. He makes it look easy, If I shot more than the 3 or 400 rds a year that I do I'd try it.

Last edited by a moderator:
reloading is awful, you don't want to get involved in it. Time consuming, boring, AND, there is no app for that!!! Your retail ammo is sooo much better. You have plenty of money, just buy it. In fact throw the cashier a couple of extra bucks, you can afford it.

this makes about as much sense as the "what's the best..." threads.

Time is money, what's your time worth? That goes for any thing you have the ability to do yourself like lawn care, fixing your car etc. I think coop44 was being sarcastic about "Time consuming, boring", maybe not. For me it looks boring for sure but probably satisfying knowing you can produce a quality round yourself at some cost savings over retail.

That is such a sad photo, it's like that of a ghost town. Thinking of a thriving machine, chunking out a valuable product, now left to ruin and decay........Is that a tear? Sniff.....

I've saved a ton of money only doing handgun, and I'm just using the RCBS single stage Rock Crusher press. The real savings come in buying in quantity, buy bullets by the 1000, or more. Once you find what works well for you buy powder in bulk (4-8lb), primers by the 1000 (10,000). I figure I can always sell/trade stuff if need be with minimal, if any, loss.

Sitting down to load a few hundred rounds has become like sitting at the lake fishing, with your rod propped up on a forked stick, without the drive, bugs or smell of bait and fish!

Mike

the REAL savings is with arcane out of production or just hard to get rifle ammo. instead of $1.00 to $2.00 a round how does 30 or 40 cents sound?

Actually reloading is more of a zen meditation thing for me.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top