JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I noticed in some posts the old Generations of the G 20 the cases would expand dramatically around the rim. Have any of you any insight to reloading brass that has this type of issue. I have a newer one and the brass does not look that bad comparatively to what comes out of lets say a Gen I.

Can I reload this stuff? Either the nickle plated or standard brass without having any feeding problems?

Every ones insight is appreciated, thank you.

As I understand it, reloaders are warned not to use the Lee Bulge Buster or similar dies to reload ammo fired from a Glock because the area of the brass that bulges is permanently weakened, even when ironed out to factory dimensions. It's like painting over Bondo; looks fine but lacks structural integrity. If Glock-fired, bulge-busted ammo is used again in a Glock, there is a chance that the weakened area of brass might line up again with the unsupported area of the chamber and cause a rupture.

I swear, this rumor never seems to die. Probably started by the Glock haters (can you say 1911?) ;)

I have a Glock 17c (9mm) for about 13 years now I think. As long as I can remember anyway.
I have loaded, reloaded and re-reloaded the same Brass probably 3,4,5,6, 7-8 times or more.

Never once has it ruptured. Chances are you will lose it. smash it or it will crack lengthwise before it ever bursts as the rumor suggests.
I use medium to light loads, I reload the nickle plated cases also. I have a few nickle cases that are so worn that they are all most all brass again.
I have never even seen a picture of a burst one on any forum. (If you have one please point me to it, I'm curious about the story behind it)

I would also suggest, that even if it did "burst" as rumored that it would still be "in" the chamber and not effect anything.
Even if it didn't eject, that's and easy fix. Pry it out, toss it and move on to the next round.

Unless of course you had max loads or some crazy stuff, then all bets are off.
I'm not saying it can't happen, I just saying as long as you don't get crazy you'll should be fine.

Here's something that might help you decide... <broken link removed>

It makes the same hypothesis about bulged brass, but offers no proof, only theory. Then shows you several tools to correct bulges.

I've never heard of a Glock in 9mm having a bulge issue. However, I have seen bulged .40 and 10mm brass from being fired in a Glock, both factory and reloads. Of the half dozen 10mm firearms I have, only the factory Glock barrel has these results. However, I'm not saying that Glock is the only one that has this occur; it's just the only one I've personally seen.

Oh, and I don't get bulges with the replacement Lone Wolf semi-match barrel I got for the Glock 20.

elsie

<broken link removed>

That's a great thread, I haven't seen until now. Thanks for the link.
Those 3 photos are of Glock brass with a smiley on them. I would have to say that's pretty different than a slight bulge like the OP was asking about.

The author notes it was a Lone Wolf Barrel that the brass came from.

I've never seen a hard smile on any of my glock brass for the 9mm or the .40 S&W. I've shot thousands of reloaded 9mm rounds in the last 10-13 years. All medium to light loads. Factory barrel. No smiley's like the one pictured. I've only just recently started with the .40, so I have not near as much history with the .40.

Maybe I need to hop up my loads, but I just can't see the point in it. I pull the trigger it goes bang, target falls, it's all good. How fast it gets there or how hard it hits really isn't an issue for me. Plus it just uses up the powder faster.....

Last Edited:
After seeing the bulged cases that came out of my G20 last night, it really has me rethinking the reloading of my 10mm.
A 10mm case is not something I want blowing up 2 feet from my face. Obviously this is due to the unsupported chamber in the glocks. Has anyone seen any issues like this using a Colt Delta Elite or similar?

I put KKM barrels in my G20 and G29 and solved the bulged brass issue. Reloading 10mm is the only affordable way to shoot it frequently as well as get true 10mm loads as most commercial 10mm is really watered down. A couple of places make decent 10mm ammo but the prices and availability make it unavailable to most.
The difference between the stock and KKM barrels even shooting mild factory ammunition is huge. When you start getting to the upper end, the brass through the KKM looks exactly like the factory stuff after it's fired. From the Glock barrel, I don't think it would be usable after one firing.

I've have four or five glock 20's ,gen 2,2.5 gen 3 ported and not ported, never had trouble with cases bulging most of my reloads are 180gr bullets at 1300fps.
The 20-C has become my favorite pistol, I do have a Barsto barrel for it but mostly shoot the stock comped barrel.

Unless of course you had max loads or some crazy stuff, then all bets are off.

Why would you buy a 10mm and not want max loads? Isn't that why we have the 10mm? Why not just get a .40 if your not going to load 10mm to it's potential?

I have had 2 G20's and currently have a 20sf. All of them had case bulges after one firing on every round I put through the factory barrels. I would never re-use them. They get tossed. I have had a couple different drop in aftermarket barrels and I have no issues reloading brass that went through them no matter how hot the load. Even Buffalo Bore brass looks prefect when fired.

The stock barrel gets used in the gun when carrying. The aftermarket barrels get used when plinking.

I've reloaded for the G17, G30, and G21 without having any problems with using the factory barrel. The G20 bulges cases and I will not reload them. I bought a Lone wolf barrel for it, and have had no problems since.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top