JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know another Glock thread but I did a search with no answer. I just got a G22 and went to reload for it last night and the destructions that came with my dies says that not to use reloads in Glocks. The manual that came with the gun says not to use reloads, but I strike that up to all factory pistols want you to use factory ammo.
So, why no reloads for Glock? I am not using lead as that thread was beat to death. Just some flat nose 180gr copper bullets.

Depends on which generation of a Glock that you have. I reloaded for my Glock 23 generation 3 with no problems. The first and second generations suffer from proper case support which yields the "Glock Smile" on your brass. They improved the support in generation 3. Get either the Redding GRX or Lee Bulge Buster and load away.

I have a gen 4. I do not see the what the big deal is. My reloads are within factory specs. I'm not reloading some super hot rounds.Just some stuff to play with at the range

I was using Alliant Unique under a 180 grain Hornady XTP. I found that the best powder weight was right in the middle using Unique, it produced factory equivalent recoil.

I haven't bought a rifle or pistol yet that doesn't have the "no reloads" admonition in the instructions.

Follow the advice in the previous posts and go for it. Like loading for any other pistol/rifle, don't get in such a hurry you don't take the time to inspect your brass. A quick look before cleaning and a very close inspection before priming or putting in a case feeder.

Look for the Glock Smiley Face, Stretch Marks near the base, cracked case heads, and splits at the case mouths. It's a good idea to look for "exhaust leak marks" around the primers before you clean them as well.

When I pick up range brass I try to keep only the once fired brass from non-reloaders. The brass left behind by reloaders often was left for a reason.

The only reason that I even questioned it was the Lee reloading instructions had the do not use reloaded ammo in Glocks. Made me actually think before I just started to load countless rounds.

I guess I'm glad I never read the instructions... Lee reloading also says not to use winchester primers. *shrug*

The most important thing over-all, make sure you're following good quality control procedures on all your ammo, without that your reloads will be dangerous, no matter what gun you are using.

Richard Lee is very opinionated. He thinks that Federal Primers are never to be used in his equipment.

Love his rant about tubular primer magazines or pickup tubes and how they can "neuter" anyone who drops a filled tube.

What's funny (not the ha-ha kind) is I till have the scars on the back of my hand from when a tray of primers blew up in his Progressive press. Took 6 stitches and my hand looks like I was playing with a p-o'd cat while not wearing gloves. Only time I've ever had a primer explode while loading and this time about 50 of them did.

Was the last time I ever used that progressive press except to de-prime huge quantities of brass.

I have plenty of scars from using lee reloading equipment, when their hand priming tool broke and sliced my hand open, when their primer tray exploded, etc etc. When the dillons or ammoloads explode, I have to clean my shorts and replace some parts, I don't have to go to the hospital.

You can Google search "Glock Brass" and read for days about it. However the worst case of this is 40 S&W which has the highest case pressure (ok maybe 10mm). However I reload for all my Glocks including 40 S&W. There are several products that help resolve this issue. Bulge Buster was mentioned, but I use a EGW custom Lee die that is designed to be just slightly smaller to remove the bulge. I do however get some cases with a slight crimp after resize and I toss those. So just watch you cases and continue to reload happily for any Glock!

The Glock warning is probably because of the "support" issue as others have said, no one has told you "about it" however.

Remember that everything is relative. There is NO ammo that meets SAAMI spec, that is UN-SAFE in ANY Glock pistol, PERIOD!

The "Issue" was with the 40 S&W, I don't honestly recall if the "Lack of support" went beyond the first gen pistols or not..
ANY pistol that uses the Modified Browning, OR Swinging-Link type barrels, have an un-supported chamber. In case you're keeping tabs, that is every pistol except for the Beretta. The question becomes "HOW Un-supported" is the chamber.
Another thing to remember is that Very Few of us Reloader types, have/use a Pressure Trace. So very few know what our actual pressures are. Most folks judge pressure by the brass, and extraction. Fine and well, but that is honestly a horrible method. Cartridge brass spec is 70,000PSI tensile strength.....

Also Glocks use poly-type rifling tends to accumulate lead. Most people tend to be idiots, they don't pay attention to that when shooting cast.... So once again problems arise, and the machine gets the blame for an idiot...

Lee is opinionated, if you read his books you will gain an insight as to why; regardless if you agree, he has some valid reasons. Like the fact that the Basic-type primer compounds are MUCH more sensitive to any form of shock(The reason he warns against anything but CCI/WIN primers).

As for your Glock, just reload.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads