JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone here ever done it? Information seems scarce. I'd like to try a slower powder and a jacketed bullet to see if I can make use of the 16" carbine barrel.

Accuracy is king, but if I can speed them along in the process, I'd be a happy man!

As it stands, with a non-magnified 2 MOA red dot optic, I am getting 3/4" three shot groups at 50yds and 2 1/2" - 3" groups @ 100 yds with el cheapo Sellier and Bellot 115gr factory ammo.

Any input greatly appreciated as this is kind of a specialized load as opposed to my standard 3-gun low power loads.

Anyone here ever done it? Information seems scarce. I'd like to try a slower powder and a jacketed bullet to see if I can make use of the 16" carbine barrel.

Accuracy is king, but if I can speed them along in the process, I'd be a happy man!

As it stands, with a non-magnified 2 MOA red dot optic, I am getting 3/4" three shot groups at 50yds and 2 1/2" - 3" groups @ 100 yds with el cheapo Sellier and Bellot 115gr factory ammo.

Any input greatly appreciated as this is kind of a specialized load as opposed to my standard 3-gun low power loads.

I stopped rolling 9mm years ago because it just got too cheap to be worth my time. I did roll it for a long time and it's an easy round to load. From the ballistic tables I have seen "normal" hand gun commercial loading Does VERY good in a 16" tube. With the +P stuff they are claiming you are getting .357 mag performance out of 124 Gr JHP's. If you have a Chrono I would just use the tables for loads and go from that. The case capacity of the 9mm is going to limit you in how slow a powder you can use. Try a box or so with a couple of the slower powders that the manual shows a load for. See what you end up with in the longer tube. The accuracy you are getting from the stuff you are using now is more than good for what you are taking here. None of these are made with the idea of being long range rifles. As with all guns no doubt your's would find certain favorites if you try several at 100yds. For home defense use I just keep mine loaded with Speer +P 124gr HP's. These are claimed to match a .357 125Gr HP coming from a 4" tube. Pretty damn impressive to me out of a 9mm round.

I stopped rolling 9mm years ago because it just got too cheap to be worth my time. I did roll it for a long time and it's an easy round to load. From the ballistic tables I have seen "normal" hand gun commercial loading Does VERY good in a 16" tube. With the +P stuff they are claiming you are getting .357 mag performance out of 124 Gr JHP's. If you have a Chrono I would just use the tables for loads and go from that. The case capacity of the 9mm is going to limit you in how slow a powder you can use. Try a box or so with a couple of the slower powders that the manual shows a load for. See what you end up with in the longer tube. The accuracy you are getting from the stuff you are using now is more than good for what you are taking here. None of these are made with the idea of being long range rifles. As with all guns no doubt your's would find certain favorites if you try several at 100yds. For home defense use I just keep mine loaded with Speer +P 124gr HP's. These are claimed to match a .357 125Gr HP coming from a 4" tube. Pretty damn impressive to me out of a 9mm round.
This is not a self defense set up. I put it together for three-gun, thus, I'd like to find some loads that aren't cost prohibitive. Expensive jacketed HPs probably won't be on the list, but with my rifles, I DO like playing with loads to get the most accurate combo possible. Was just hoping to maybe fine tune a low cost load that will prove very accurate while remaining reliable and available for inexpensive high round count production.

If I can't find that, I'll stock up on the S&B as it's extremely inexpensive and seems to shoot well from the carbine.

P.S.
With this ammo and gun, a 15 yd zero is also just about dead on at 100 yds. I was pretty happy to see that! :)

[QUOTE="DizzyJ, post: 1650771

If I can't find that, I'll stock up on the S&B as it's extremely inexpensive and seems to shoot well from the carbine.

P.S.
With this ammo and gun, a 15 yd zero is also just about dead on at 100 yds. I was pretty happy to see that! :)[/QUOTE]

Unless you want to cast your own bullets trying to beat factory is going to be hard. By the time you buy bullets and primers it's going to add up. You can of course save some but whether it will be enough to be worth the time? Not sure. As for accuracy I would first put a scope on it to make sure. On one of mine I put a 1-4 with Mildot by BSA. Have not taken it out to the hills to try it at 100yrds yet. Should be fun. Slap a scope on it and try a box of a few of the low end rounds. Blazer and such. All guns will have a favorite. See if your's likes one of them best. The best part of the 9mm PCC's is the low cost of ammo. I just ordered another case of S&B today for mine. Cabelas had it on sale with free shipping. Going to be fun to see how mine does when I get to try it at some distance.

[QUOTE="DizzyJ, post: 1650771

P.S.
With this ammo and gun, a 15 yd zero is also just about dead on at 100 yds. I was pretty happy to see that! :)

Unless you want to cast your own bullets trying to beat factory is going to be hard. By the time you buy bullets and primers it's going to add up. You can of course save some but whether it will be enough to be worth the time? Not sure. As for accuracy I would first put a scope on it to make sure. On one of mine I put a 1-4 with Mildot by BSA. Have not taken it out to the hills to try it at 100yrds yet. Should be fun. Slap a scope on it and try a box of a few of the low end rounds. Blazer and such. All guns will have a favorite. See if your's likes one of them best. The best part of the 9mm PCC's is the low cost of ammo. I just ordered another case of S&B today for mine. Cabelas had it on sale with free shipping. Going to be fun to see how mine does when I get to try it at some distance.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'll definitely need a higher magnification scope to split hairs trying to figure out which factory ammo is going to give the best groups @ 100 yds.

I went online last night looking at 9mm deals, and was pleased to see more than one decent sale option on good brand factory 9mm.

Are you loading 9mm now? If so what powder? Lotsa' people just use Titegroup, or other fast powders because it's inexpensive and you use very little. HS-6 was suggested to me for 9mm and .40 in 2011 by a veteran reloader because of it being slower and working well in the 4.75" barrels I was shooting. Also there was a wider range of powder weight in the cartridges compared to the faster powders.

Are you loading 9mm now? If so what powder? Lotsa' people just use Titegroup, or other fast powders because it's inexpensive and you use very little. HS-6 was suggested to me for 9mm and .40 in 2011 by a veteran reloader because of it being slower and working well in the 4.75" barrels I was shooting. Also there was a wider range of powder weight in the cartridges compared to the faster powders.
Yes I am. Thousands per year actually :s0112:

Bullseye has been my go to for several years because of the performance and value. This is why I was thinking a slower powder might be beneficial for a 16" carbine. I do have Unique, Blue Dot, CFE Pistol and a couple other pistol powders on the shelf as well.

Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Yes I am. Thousands per year actually :s0112:

Bullseye has been my go to for several years because of the performance and value. This is why I was thinking a slower powder might be beneficial for a 16" carbine. I do have Unique, Blue Dot, CFE Pistol and a couple other pistol powders on the shelf as well.

Thanks for the suggestion! :)

HS-6 is a great powder to work with, measures like a dream. I don't care for Bullseye as the flakes bind a bit in my RCBS uniflow. I do have some I use for .38 sp, only because I got it when powder was hard to find. If you're lost somewhere near PDX I be happy to give you some HS-6 to try. I'm still working on an 8lber I got in 2013 when i was afraid we'd never see powder again! It's been stored properly and still smells perfect.

I was getting good results with various loads using Unique and different bullets from lead to JSP in my Sub 2K and all were very accurate. My Sub 2K liked the 'higher end' rounds for proper functioning but eventually I came to my senses and sold it before it started falling apart.

Long ago I took my semi-auto 9mm Colt AR carbine out for a day of fun.

At 100 yds....it was bang.....wait for it....tink. Not very impressive. I guess you have to shoot it full auto to have real effect. Humm?

At close range.....ok, that was better. But, I guess 16 rds in a pistol would have been as much fun.

Whatever.

Anyway, I was using lead bullet reloads and some FMJ factory loads. Yes, now a days factory ammo can be competitive....price wise. Accuracy....LOL, must we really talk about a 9mm at 100 yrds? OK, bring it in closer.....minuet of plate is GTG (in my book). Hey, we're not shooting a 2700 Match. So, go have fun.

For me....load development time/range time for a 9mm carbine. Forgetabouit.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
S&B is solid ammo at a price you won't beat reloading, if you believe your time is worth anything

I like the stuff. Having a couple PCC's in 9mm I tend to burn a lot of that caliber. Cableas just had it on sale so I bought another case. The price was the same as the USA Forged but if I can get brass that's re loadable for the same price I do. I will not be loading it again but figure someone will so I will "gift it" to them after I have my fun. :D

HS-6 is a great powder to work with, measures like a dream. I don't care for Bullseye as the flakes bind a bit in my RCBS uniflow. I do have some I use for .38 sp, only because I got it when powder was hard to find. If you're lost somewhere near PDX I be happy to give you some HS-6 to try. I'm still working on an 8lber I got in 2013 when i was afraid we'd never see powder again! It's been stored properly and still smells perfect.
Love the smell of fresh gunpowder in the morning! :D

I am lost in Portland. I wouldn't mind taking you up on your offer. Maybe we could even trade something if you'd like!

Love the smell of fresh gunpowder in the morning! :D

I am lost in Portland. I wouldn't mind taking you up on your offer. Maybe we could even trade something if you'd like!

Absolutely. Can't think of anything I'd need for some of the power in trade so..... I've even have a clean dry and empty HS-6 pound jar. All you'd need to do is PM me, we'll arrange something, and you come my way. I'm near NE 60th and Prescott.

You can buy lots of cheap 9mm factory right now but not 147 subsonics in a 10.5" carbine! If you want something special you have to create it. It's costing me about .12/rd or $6 a box to get what I want. Worth it to me.

The bonus of a PCC is you can shoot a "rifle" at pistol rated steel.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top