JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've never loaded 9mm, but I've loaded for a pistol caliber lever action carbine, with revolver to match, and have a couple of observations.
1) You would have to have some kind of stupid fast powder, low power load to not gain significant velocity in a carbine length barrel vs. a pistol.
2) Powders on the slow side for pistol use will help.

The only thing really going against you is the case of the 9mm being so small.

If you load for top velocity, you have already chosen the powder to use.
I got about 1300fps out of a 6.5" revolver, but that was 1850 out of an 20" carbine. It was a .41 Mag and I should have kept it for deer hunting.

Absolutely. Can't think of anything I'd need for some of the power in trade so..... I've even have a clean dry and empty HS-6 pound jar. All you'd need to do is PM me, we'll arrange something, and you come my way. I'm near NE 60th and Prescott.
Sounds like a plan! Appreciate the offer. Very generous! I'll figure out something to trade. :)

You can buy lots of cheap 9mm factory right now but not 147 subsonics in a 10.5" carbine! If you want something special you have to create it. It's costing me about .12/rd or $6 a box to get what I want. Worth it to me.

The bonus of a PCC is you can shoot a "rifle" at pistol rated steel.
Good point.

I've never loaded 9mm, but I've loaded for a pistol caliber lever action carbine, with revolver to match, and have a couple of observations.
1) You would have to have some kind of stupid fast powder, low power load to not gain significant velocity in a carbine length barrel vs. a pistol.
2) Powders on the slow side for pistol use will help.

The only thing really going against you is the case of the 9mm being so small.

If you load for top velocity, you have already chosen the powder to use.
I got about 1300fps out of a 6.5" revolver, but that was 1850 out of an 20" carbine. It was a .41 Mag and I should have kept it for deer hunting.
I need to drag my chrony to the range and test the difference this summer. By the way my steel plate reacts there's got to be at least 500 fps difference between the pistol and the rifle.

You can buy lots of cheap 9mm factory right now but not 147 subsonics in a 10.5" carbine! If you want something special you have to create it. It's costing me about .12/rd or $6 a box to get what I want. Worth it to me.

The bonus of a PCC is you can shoot a "rifle" at pistol rated steel.
Nor +p or +p+.. a handloader can replicate those at an additional cost of 1/14000 of $15-20 or whatever.

It is not a hard and fast rule that a load will be faster in a carbine. I just put together a ladder for my Sub2000 in 40S&W that I wanted to shoot minor power factor for competition. I used Titegroup, knowing it was a fast powder. The numbers suggested that I should be getting pretty fast speed, but I was able to get the exact same velocity in my 16" barrel as my 4" barrel pistol. I think the faster powder was all burned up and the bullet probably slowed a bit in the barrel after the 3.6 grains of TG burned up.

If you're trying to maximize power, such as for defense, go with a slower-burning powder like HS-6. But if you're going with minimizing power for competition, then go fast-burning.

I use my 16" 9mm AR carbine for sage rat shooting, and HS-6 powers my rounds for that gun. I use Hornady 115gr HAP bullets and 6.6gr of powder. I average 1400fps with my setup and that is enough to do a number on the squirrels.

One quality of HS-6 is it can make your gun look like a coal mine if your loads are light. I tested my recipe during two trips to the range, and my flash hider was 500% cleaner after shooting the hotter half of my test rounds.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top