JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all and greetings from the drizzly Willamette Valley!

Been reading this forum for a long time, have picked up quite a tid bit of info here and there. Thank you to all who participate!

Among the guns I own is a Ruger GP100. I just got it back from Ruger with a new full under lug barrel on it and took it out to the range yesterday. Here is what I experienced with it. I fired 48 rounds of 158gr plinking reloads through it giving it a chance to cool every 12. I was putting loads down range with my snubbie no dash Model 10 while I was waiting for the Ruger to cool. After 48, I ran a couple swabs down the barrel. Then I ran 36 180gr bullets through it, 12 each with 4.5, 4.7, and 4.9 grains of titegroup. 10 shot average after eliminating highest and lowest was 945, 1000 and 1075 fps respectively.

So my question to you is are these speeds reasonable on a new barrel 6 inch gun? I know titegroup is not a great powder for magnum guns, and it will be relegated to the P95 and the taurus 9mm from now on. I do have W296 which I load my 180 grainers with and my accurate #5 which I load my 230 grainers with for bowling pin shoots. Any other thoughts on a good powder for the 230gr pin loads?

Thanks,
Eric

Last Edited:
For 357 magnum JHP loads use a large amount of slow burning powder 296/H110. Low recoil target loads (158 SWC) use a small amount
of fast burning powder Bullseye, Titegroup, Unique. My favorite 357 magnum load for a good full size handgun like yours is 125 JHP.
125 grain Golden sabers are especially accurate bullet. Hornady XTPs shoot great too. Start at the starting load for 296 or H110.
You will find the starting load on the chart is usually the most accurate. :D 125 grain bullets kicks less and shoots a little more
accurate than a heavier kicking 158 jacketed load. Less wear on you the gun and your brass. .357 magnum in 125 JHP ranks
at the top for "one shot stops".

Thanks Ron!

Have you had any experience in shooting bowling pins? I have always been told that a large heavy slow moving bullet is the best for taking them off the table and moving them backwards 24 inches. I have only used 230gr and 180gr to this point.

--------------

For 357 magnum JHP loads use a large amount of slow burning powder 296/H110. Low recoil target loads (158 SWC) use a small amount
of fast burning powder Bullseye, Titegroup, Unique. My favorite 357 magnum load for a good full size handgun like yours is 125 JHP.
125 grain Golden sabers are especially accurate bullet. Hornady XTPs shoot great too. Start at the starting load for 296 or H110.
You will find the starting load on the chart is usually the most accurate. :D 125 grain bullets kicks less and shoots a little more
accurate than a heavier kicking 158 jacketed load. Less wear on you the gun and your brass. .357 magnum in 125 JHP ranks
at the top for "one shot stops".

TiteWad is not a stable powder for high pressure/low volume loads. I've used it in 230gr .45ACP which, unless things have changed is the only pistol load Hogdon will recommend for it. Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES use TiteWad in 9mm... a small diff in powder volume creates wild fluctuations in pressure. I tried it and saw signs of high pressure and stopped using it. They weren't lying when they said don't use it.

On the other hand, Titegroup is very functional in many pistol loads... I'd just prefer something on the lower end of the burn ratings for Magnum loads. You can download a full list of burn rates for comparison of powders.

I only tried titegroup for the 357 because I came across a couple recipes for it in an old handbook and wanted to try it. I much prefer the slower powders myself for the magnum guns. I really like the W296 so far.

I only tried titegroup for the 357 because I came across a couple recipes for it in an old handbook and wanted to try it. I much prefer the slower powders myself for the magnum guns. I really like the W296 so far.

I originally read references to both TiteWad and Titegroup in your original post. Or maybe I'm losing my mind as well as my eyesight...

I prefer Unique and AA # 9 in 357/38 light target 158 SWC lead or polymer bullets. Usually around 900 fps seems to work the best.
Don't know about pins. o_O I have only shot pins a few times and used a 45 acp.:rolleyes:
Titegroup for 9mm. Maybe try I should try it in 38 special?

Maybe try I should try it in 38 special?

I haven't used Titegroup, yet, for .38 Special. Have tried some Clays, some 700X, and HP38. Right now I have a full 8lb jug of Red Dot dedicated to .38 plinking...

I get the impression that .38Spec is not too fussy. Titegroup should work well.

I like those low volume powders. Pretty hard to beat 2grs of TiteWad with a 230gr bullet in .45ACP giving about 600fps for a real powder puff load that is very pleasant to shoot!

My only problem with Titegroup is that it is a dirty powder. I ended up with smoke clouds from my gun barrel and from the cylinder, and I had this sooty almost oily residue on my fingers after shooting the rounds with Titegroup.

I haven't used Titegroup, yet, for .38 Special. Have tried some Clays, some 700X, and HP38. Right now I have a full 8lb jug of Red Dot dedicated to .38 plinking...

I like those low volume powders. Pretty hard to beat 2grs of TiteWad with a 230gr bullet in .45ACP giving about 600fps for a real powder puff load that is very pleasant to shoot!

My only problem with Titegroup is that it is a dirty powder. I ended up with smoke clouds from my gun barrel and from the cylinder, and I had this sooty almost oily residue on my fingers after shooting the rounds with Titegroup.

FYI, the [Quote} function would have made your post much less initially confusing. I'm old... I need as many breaks as I can get!!

I haven't noticed Titegroup being dirty, but many others have commented that it is... I'd bet that it was intended for use in rifle barrels?, and doesn't burn completely??? I still have the older formulations of .dot powders, Red Dot, etc, talk about dirty!!!

I originally read references to both TiteWad and Titegroup in your original post. Or maybe I'm losing my mind as well as my eyesight...

:s0114: I went back and read it too. I just chalked your post up to "Old Timers" syndrome. :D It happens to me.

FWIW:

burnrate1801op.png

Get Latest Powder Burn Rate Chart HERE « Daily Bulletin

OP: if you don't mind a little 'thread drift' onto another aspect of your earlier comments, for the most pleasurable shooting and damn accurate feral bowling pin control, my favorite loads have been 180-200-210-230 cast lead in 10mm-44 special-41 mag-45 acp, at 750-1050 fps. I know that doesn't mention the 357 but others comment on that. Even 38 special will knock them pins down. Eventually even off the table.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top