JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I just picked up a nice Darrel Holland 22-250 Ackley Improved. I have 22-250 dies, brass, bullets etc. Please let me know if the following procedure is correct or if I have missed something....

Fireform 22-250 brass in my 22-250 AI.

Neck size the brass using RCBS neck-sizer die for 22-250.

Reload said fireformed brass and shoot 22-250 AI and continue neck-sizing.

So, I don't need 22-250AI dies? I would only need them if using 22-250AI brass from someone else's rifle?

You will probably have to bump the shoulder back a bit every few loads/case. So yes, you will need 22-250 Ackley FL dies eventually, unless you want to buy brass regularly. It depends on how much you shoot, and how the chamber was cut.
The good news is cases formed to Ackley chamberings don't need trimming very often, as they don't suffer case stretch as severely as a more tapered(parent) case does.

Are you going to fireform with fully loaded ammo or do you plan to use one of the "bulletless" fireform loads? 22-250s can be pretty hard on barrels so you might want to look into the bulletless method of initial fireforming when using new brass.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top