JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Whenever possible, I like to buy stuff locally. If it's within $20 vs online I'll do it, sometimes more if I really like the shop. Living in Tigard/Beaverton I'm in the middle of most gun shops I've heard of, but I'm sure I haven't been to them all yet.

I am currently on the lookout on places that sells reloading equipment and supplies, hopefully having it in stock or can get it in quickly.

Bi-Mart: Home defense & hunting bullets and powder
Fisherman's Marine (Tigard): Hornady Dies and shell plates
Al's Gun Shop: Bulk powder

I have been looking for a lube die (I think RCBS is the only one that makes it?) for .223 and hornady accessories like the case feeder and the bullet feeder (and its dies).

I have been looking for a lube die (I think RCBS is the only one that makes it?) for .223 and hornady accessories like the case feeder and the bullet feeder (and its dies).

Not worth the mess. Just use a case lube like Dillon's spray lube or make your own from Lanolin and Rubbing Alcohol. Lay cases out on sheet of newspaper or on cookie sheet, spray lightly, let dry, and then load. Less hassle than cleaning all the mess from leaking lube on shell plate.

Not worth the mess. Just use a case lube like Dillon's spray lube or make your own from Lanolin and Rubbing Alcohol. Lay cases out on sheet of newspaper or on cookie sheet, spray lightly, let dry, and then load. Less hassle than cleaning all the mess from leaking lube on shell plate.

Have been using a lanolin/99% alcohol mix for a while now, it works but can never seems to get a good distribution of it over the cases. Have been putting a paper towel lined shallow box with a thin layer of brass and then spraying then shaking but the results aren't always the greatest.

Ill try the baking sheet newspaper tonight.

Have been using a lanolin/99% alcohol mix for a while now, it works but can never seems to get a good distribution of it over the cases. Have been putting a paper towel lined shallow box with a thin layer of brass and then spraying then shaking but the results aren't always the greatest.

Ill try the baking sheet newspaper tonight.

I use both, depending on my mood. Key is to not put too many on a cookie sheet or paper at a time so you have room to shake and roll them around. Let them sit for 10 minutes like Dillon suggests. The droplets on the top will "migrate" to the lower sides. I do a about 4 big handfuls at a time.

Try some Hornady One Shot Case lube. Dump your cases into a paper bag, spray a shot of HOS into the bag and shake it to distribute the case lube. Wait a minute or so for the cases to dry and you're good to go.

Why does it seam like he is talking about a Lube Die for .223 (something used to lube cast bullets) and you guys are talking about Case lube something to slick up brass for resizing?

Or am I wrong?

To slick up brass, I am changing my reloading setup into 2 stages and a reason stated below.

The main reason I want to lube on a die is because I just got a bullet feeder for my LnL and not sure if it's ok/good idea to have lubed brass (even dried) go through my hopper cause it would get all over the hopper, feed tube, and die. This would mean after trimming (hopefully I can get get the Dillon trimmer die that goes onto the press sometime soon) and then putting them into the tumbler to remove the lube I would also have to clean out the case hopper of lube as well??? So when I do the second stage of priming/dropping powder/powder cop/seating/crimping, the cases aren't lubed up again.

When I got started reloading, (just a few months ago) I saw a video of this guy rubbing wax on his hands and thoroughly messaging his brass. I was amazed at how easy it was and how well it worked. I was at the gun shop the next day and asked the guy there what it was and he showed me, Hornady 'Unique' case lube. I took it home and massaged my brass and it worked slick as silk. I am sure you will like it too. All the is spraying and waiting and messin around with newspaper and wax paper, well it's just not for me.

When I got started reloading, (just a few months ago) I saw a video of this guy rubbing wax on his hands and thoroughly messaging his brass. I was amazed at how easy it was and how well it worked. I was at the gun shop the next day and asked the guy there what it was and he showed me, Hornady 'Unique' case lube. I took it home and massaged my brass and it worked slick as silk. I am sure you will like it too. All the is spraying and waiting and messin around with newspaper and wax paper, well it's just not for me.

Sounds like a nice way to do it, still doesn't solve my issue of getting lube all over my case feeder though...

Sounds like a nice way to do it, still doesn't solve my issue of getting lube all over my case feeder though...

I lube all my rifle cases before they go into the Dillon Case Feeder. If you let the Spray lube dry according to instructions there is minimal transfer of the lanolin to the case feeder or parts. If you use Unique or Imperial Sizing wax it's marginally less.

If you spray the cases and then put them in the case feeder dripping wet you will have a mess in the case feeder, not to mention a bunch of dented cases.

Even if there is some lube that transfers to the case feeder a wipe-out with a rag dampened in mineral sprirts (paint thinner) will handle the job. I haven't found it necessary so far and the number of lubed cases that have been through my case feeder is huge.

Again, if you follow the instructions with the Dillon Spray, the case will not foul up the case feeder. It might feel a little tacky to your hand but not "greasy" once it dries.

Bi Mart will special order any RCBS product you want.

That's where I usually go for the common stuff, but MT sports has to stock it for them to get it (at least the one in the Metro Area). For example I wanted a RCBS Powder Lock out die and a universal decapper and they couldnt get either since it wasnt in the MT sports catalog...

Bi Mart will special order any RCBS product you want.

Why go to a Retailer for "Special Order" of any RCBS product. If it has to be ordered, why not do it yourself online from one of the many discounters. Same product, less money, and in some cases, Free Shipping.

Most Retailers I have dealt with have to go through their "Purchasing Department" on SO items. With the internal delays, the delay of receiving the product though their system, it's often quicker and cheaper to just order yourself. Only time I now buy from a local retailer is if they actually have it in stock.

Why go to a Retailer for "Special Order" of any RCBS product. If it has to be ordered, why not do it yourself online from one of the many discounters. Same product, less money, and in some cases, Free Shipping.

Most Retailers I have dealt with have to go through their "Purchasing Department" on SO items. With the internal delays, the delay of receiving the product though their system, it's often quicker and cheaper to just order yourself. Only time I now buy from a local retailer is if they actually have it in stock.

Cause the OP said he wants to buy locally if possible... "Whenever possible, I like to buy stuff locally" So I gave him and option to buy through a local dealer.

Cause the OP said he wants to buy locally if possible... "Whenever possible, I like to buy stuff locally" So I gave him and option to buy through a local dealer.

I have always liked to buy locally too. For years I was able to as they would stock reloading supplies and components. The latest trend though is to keep only a few items in stock and then offer to "order it for you". If the Dealer isn't stocking, are you really "Buying Local" or are you just giving the Dealer a fee to do what you could do for yourself?

As for "Local" yes, Bi-Mart has a store nearby but are they really "Local" or just a regional chain. Much different than "Joe the Dealer" that has a shop on the corner.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top