JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been using an old Lyman reloading data book and handloads.com to work up my loads.
Are their any other books or web sites that sites that are a good reference.
I reload 9mm, 45acp,38 and 357 with bullseye or unique .
also are their any other good hand gun powers for the rounds I listed above.

In my experience handloads.com isn't reliable as it is a collection of people's favorite loads without any regard to pressure curves and safety. I've seen some full power loads there that are quite a ways above manufacturer recommended loads. I've also found the Lyman book very limited in powders and bullet types.

I use the Lee book and lately have been going to the powder manufacturer websites and searching their load data. Hodgdon seems to have improved theirs in recent years. Others recommend the Hornady book as well.
Regardless, a starting load is something of an average from 2-3 sources and the best load is worked up to ensure it works in your gun without signs of excess pressure.

I like the Hornady book for the way it displays the load data and for having a separate section for the 5.56, M1A, and M1. Their tables make it easy for me to determine which powder is most efficient for a given FPS, which powder will allow me to get the highest FPS at a glace, and how much powder to load for a given FPS that I am going for. You can get that info from the Lyman load data but it takes some work. The loads that I've put over the chrono have been very accurate to the expected FPS once you account for barrel length differences.

The Lee book is good in that it has a ton of data, the bad thing is that it is a compilation of numerous unknown sources. You've no idea what components were used and what the barrel length is. I once made up a starting load for 357 magnum from Lee data and the bullet dribbled out the end of the barrel around 500 FPS, well into light 38 special territory and at half the expected velocity.

The bullet manufacturer's books (Nosler, Sierra, Speer, etc) are all decent, but have a narrower focus. For example, I have a Nosler 4th edition and they made fewer bullet weighs back then so there is often only load data for one or two bullet weights in the less popular calibers and cartridges. If you shoot hard-cast lead in your 357 then the Laser-Cast manual gives you appropriate loads that are hotter than the soft lead loads listed in most manuals.

I use the Speer #14 book that came with my RCBS kit, and the Lyman 49th edition. I also access the Hodgdon website and print pages to keep in a binder. I load 9mm, .40, .38 sp, ,45acp and .44 sp. I have the ability and guns to load .357mag and .44 mag but don't care to.

I like HS-6 in 9mm and .40 and Titegroup, W231 or HP-38 (same thing supposedly) in .45acp and .38 special. I also have used Unique, and Bullseye. I have generally bought and used powders that the books show will cross over for the most cartridges.

I'm a relative newbie to reloading if you consider other members here. I'm just into it three years this December.

Mike

Here are some links for powder manufactures:
Accurate
Alliant
Hodgdon (which includes IMR and Winchester)

I use Unique, Blue Dot, Win 231 and sometimes 700x for most of my 38, 357 and 9mm. You have a bunch of different powders that work with these rounds. If you use one particular brand of bullet more than others you might consider investing in their guide. Typically I have the current Speer, Sierra and Hornaday books on my bench. Usually Nosler, Lyman and Lee as well. Check into Handloader Magazine for info and tips too.

Hornady, Lyman, and Richard Lee's manuals are all very good. Lee has the most loads, but not the newest powders.
Nothing wrong with Bullseye or Unique. Bullseye has been THE .45 Auto powder for about 90 years or so. I'm not sure how many Bullseye competitions have been won with another powder, but not close to those won with Bullseye.
9mm: Power Pistol, Silhouette
45acp: Bullseye, 231/HP38, AA2, Red Dot, Unique
38: 231/HP38, AA2, Red Dot, Bullseye, Unique
357: 2400 for near full power loads and great accuracy, Unique, AA7, AA9, and 296/H110 for max velocity loads

I've got an early copy of Ken Water's Pet Loads that I've enjoyed using. Lots of data on well tested loads.
^^This^^
I have a later copy, the big book that includes all the various editions worth of info.
Very, very valuable book, and other than all the very newest-fangled powders, it has become my go-to reference.

In my experience handloads.com isn't reliable as it is a collection of people's favorite loads without any regard to pressure curves and safety. I've seen some full power loads there that are quite a ways above manufacturer recommended loads. I've also found the Lyman book very limited in powders and bullet types.

Wow that's scaryabout handloads,com I will have to double check the info all my reloading sources from now on.
Thanks for the info on the books, will have to order a couple of them.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top