JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
.308/.223 here too. I'd like to get some lessons on neck sizing, neck trimming, ordering the proper bushing for l.e. Wilson neck sizing dies, and some advanced BR reloading techniques..... I'm have a dillon xl650, original Lyman Orange Crush, and a beefed up Harrell arbor press. I have RCBS competition dies, for my rifle rounds and redding and Dillon dies for my handgun stuff. I'd like to get into LE dies for my arbor press.

If I can learn that for the cost of some beer that's even better....lol

Cookie,
Thank you for the response. I've taught myself to reload also, but learning from an experienced reloader has it's own merits also.
I have been loading since the 1970s and have never blown up a gun. It is not really hard if you read, understand and do. It is basic common sense and being careful.,No magic involved at all.

Cookie.
I appreciate your sentiment. I know how to read, and I have taught myself as well to reload. I think it's naive to think there isn't anything you could learn from a more experienced reloader. Your point has been made, but I would like to learn from someone more experienced than I. I'm sure I could learn a few things. If all you would like to do is post that I should read a book, then thank you- it's noted.

Iz

.308/.223 here too. I'd like to get some lessons on neck sizing, neck trimming, ordering the proper bushing for l.e. Wilson neck sizing dies, and some advanced BR reloading techniques..... I'm have a dillon xl650, original Lyman Orange Crush, and a beefed up Harrell arbor press. I have RCBS competition dies, for my rifle rounds and redding and Dillon dies for my handgun stuff. I'd like to get into LE dies for my arbor press.

If I can learn that for the cost of some beer that's even better....lol

Not sure if I can train you on all of the above. My reloading isn't all that fancy.

If you want to get together hit me up in PM.

Keep an eye out on sportsmans in Hillsboro. I'll be teaching classes there on Saturdays in the future. Held one on basic rifle earlier had a decent showing. Will hold more in weekends to come.

What a lot of folks don't realize is yes learning the "process" of reloading is fairly easy... one can learn from a mentor, read a reloading manual, or watch a you tube. The process is fairly straight forward but there certainly are nuisances such as bullet run out, annealing, when to ream a primer pocket and when not, etc that are not commonly taught or known.

What is often not understood or underappreciated is the "science and chemistry" (internal, external, & terminal ballistics) behind the process. I'd venture to say less than 10% of reloaders understand the 40/5 principle when it comes to charging a case with propellant (technically it isn't powder but rather propellant).

I also know that people don't really understand pressure and what factor(s) contribute to increase/decrease pressure nor understand pressure signs...they just follow a recipe replicating the steps someone else taught them or they self-learned with no real understanding of the "why and what" and only know the "how to reload." Change any variable in the process or components, and/or become complacent with the consistency and now the recipe has changes which can range from no biggie to a real biggie. Then when it comes to the final output - the external and terminal ballistics they don't understand why they're not getting the results they're buddy or mentor gets.

I for one am going to stay tuned in to Reno911's classes and sign up at my earliest opportunity! I'm anxious to learn more!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top