JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Do I need to install gas check on these particular West Coast bullets? I'm loading to shoot in my 1911 45acp.

B2D1FD67-730F-4F7E-AC52-ACD1DA742A16.jpeg 382A2B9C-A04E-485E-AE71-B2272B232CA0.jpeg

You won't need a gas check for 45acp velocities. Also that bullet also was not designed for a gas check.

Being lab.ed "Hard cast" I'd say no gas check needed unless you were pushing them to higher velocities. .45 acp is a relatively lower pressure round. After all, lead round nose is what has been used in .45 acp since 1911. :)

If I'm off here some one will be along soon to correct me.

For Goodknight's education. Cast bullets designed to take a gas check will have a step in the base for the check to fit onto. Normally, bullets are checked at the time they are run through a sizer. So if you get a box of finished bullets like this, they have already been sized. At least this was the technique I was following when I cast bullets.

As to these needing a check, that's already been answered.

Finished bullets like that pretty near to always come pre-sized from the maker. The box may be marked as to size, i.e., .452. They should be fine to go ahead and use for .45 ACP. The bullets shown in the picture have a nice little bevel on the base.

geared strictly to cast, 45 colt can be size finicky if .451 is used over preferred .452 making unclean shooting and some accuracy difference and possibly some key holing, but 45ACP in a semi auto seems to chew up what ever you feed it, (shape appropriate) to a point, because there is no cylinder gap, and or timing (alignment) to deal with.
That said; .451 sans gas check will serve you best in good condition barrels but I wouldn't be throwing away any 452 if that's all I had.

Also that bullet also was not designed for a gas check.
Here is a gas check maker for plain base bullets.

Load a few of those and do a plunk test......I shoot that brand of bullets and those lead ball have a lip on them that will sometimes catch in the barrel and prevent the rounds from chambering all the way. They would not chamber in my 1911 or a revolver chambered for 45 acp. I ended up using them in 45 Colt loads.

That company is now Xtreme bullet

Load a few of those and do a plunk test......I shoot that brand of bullets and those lead ball have a lip on them that will sometimes catch in the barrel and prevent the rounds from chambering all the way. They would not chamber in my 1911 or a revolver chambered for 45 acp. I ended up using them in 45 Colt loads.

That company is now Xtreme bullet
Thank you! will do

Here is a gas check maker for plain base bullets.
Thank You!!

slug your barrel to see what diameter you have, there are some barrels tighter and looser over the industry norm.
I found best for me, since I powder coat now, is run through the lee sizer after baking as I was getting a bigger bullet after removing from the oven.
as has been mentioned above on GC's....GC bullet molds have a provision heel for the GC and will be pressed on and crimped during the lube and/or sizing process.

Thank you all but to be thorough do I need to push them through a resizer?
No need to re-size again.....
Most times they come from the bullet caster/supplier as GTG.

BTW....
Gas Check lead bullets usually have a special base that allows the gas check to be placed there.
e103-8.jpg

As for the correct size.....
If you're not sure or bought them off of "some guy".
I would suggest that you measure them with your handy dandy caliper. Yeah....I use to be able to find calipers on sale at Harbor Freight for less than $12. People liked to rag on HF's quality. But hey....it's not like you're building an ICBM with it.

The EASY way.....
Your reloading manual will usually spec what size of lead bullets are the correct ones, for your application/cartridge. Not to mention the other important data/info (suggested COAL, bullet weights, construction of bullet, powder brand and charge weight etc....).

The HARD way.....
Customize your bullets for the bore size. And if you are shooting at high velocities....consider adding a gas check.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews