JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
i searched around but couldn't find anything. I have a box of 20 hyrdashok's in .45 acp with 165 gr bullets touted as as low recoil. I had been carrying with these for quite awhile and recently noticed some are setback enough to be obvious to the naked eye.

The casings and bullet openings for the most part are in perfect shape, i was just curious if they could be pulled apart and recrimped or reloaded or are bullets and casings that cheap it wouldn't be worth anybody's time?

Personally I would use a kinetic type bullet puller and then reassemble and recrimp the round. I already reload this caliber so that operation would be relatively simple and straightforward. I reload for pleasure so it would be definitely worth my time. I'm glad you noticed the setback ammo; it could cause a potentially dangerous overpressure situation if fired.

If you were to tap llightly with a kiinetic puller you might be able to move the bullet forward and not all the way out,then just re seat and crimp as desired.
Gently is the watchword since they are already 'loose' in the case.

If you pull the bullets and reload them they will not be the same. You won't get all the powder back into them. I'd discard the rounds or try the bullet puller trick by tapping and re crimp. I personally don't think that will work though because I think they generally either come apart or not. I've never noticed an in between where the bullet just moves out a little myself.

All this being said, yes buy the equipment to reload yesterday. It will save you a lot of money over time.

Things you need to reload:

Die sets
A press
Scale
Tumbler
Brass
Primers
Powder
A case trimmer though not necessary for most pistol calibers
If you get a single stage press you'll likely need a priming tool

The cheap easy way to get into this is to by a Lee Pro 1000 in the caliber you want to reload. Get a scale and a tumbler. Note this press is limited and won't do calibers like 308 and longer. It will do 223 and all pistol calibers however. This is a progressive press.

Another cheap way to get into this is to get a Lee anniversary reloading kit. This comes with about everything you need except the Tumbler. It is however a single stage press. I think you need to buy the dies separately with this one though.

Another option that keeps getting overlooked is a turret press. Lyman makes a great turret press called the T-Mag II that comes in a kit with most everything you need.

IMHO turrets are the great middle ground between the single stage and the progressive. :s0155:

If you pull the bullets and reload them they will not be the same. You won't get all the powder back into them. I'd discard the rounds or try the bullet puller trick by tapping and re crimp. I personally don't think that will work though because I think they generally either come apart or not. I've never noticed an in between where the bullet just moves out a little myself.

All this being said, yes buy the equipment to reload yesterday. It will save you a lot of money over time.

Things you need to reload:

Die sets
A press
Scale
Tumbler
Brass
Primers
Powder
A case trimmer though not necessary for most pistol calibers
If you get a single stage press you'll likely need a priming tool

The cheap easy way to get into this is to by a Lee Pro 1000 in the caliber you want to reload. Get a scale and a tumbler. Note this press is limited and won't do calibers like 308 and longer. It will do 223 and all pistol calibers however. This is a progressive press.

Another cheap way to get into this is to get a Lee anniversary reloading kit. This comes with about everything you need except the Tumbler. It is however a single stage press. I think you need to buy the dies separately with this one though.

I have a good used complete Lee Pro 1000 progressive press, set up for .223/5.56 that I'd sell. I could add a new set of .45 ACP Lee carbide dies, a new Lee powder scale and a couple of extra 3 hole turrets. You'd want another $50 primer feeder/shell plate carrier assembly complete to do the .45's. It has the one for the .223/5.56. You should also get an inexpensive caliper, maybe from Harbor Freight.

I'm thinking $200 for all plus probably $30 shipping, if that helps. (it's pretty big and heavy and would come in 2 boxes.)

Here's a link to Lee's site for the press: <broken link removed>

Scroll down to "shell plate carrier" and see that you'd need #2. You can get them cheaper from other sources, including brand new on ebay.

------------------------

PS The extra .45 dies, scale, and turrets would cost you about $80, so basically I'm offering you the press with everything needed for .223/5.56 for $120.

If you shoot and have the time, reloading IS worth it in more shooting for less in the long run. It is not difficult and inexpensive to set up initially. Great to be ammo self sufficient and more accurate also and much much more.....do it

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top