JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A while back I bought some 8mm Berdan primed ammo and was wondering if the brass is even worth saving. Does any body reload this stuff? I know nothing about reloading so any help is appreciated.

Thanks.:)

It's a lot of trouble for such a common round. If you had some really hard-to-find cases and you couldn't form them out of another case, it might be worth the trouble.

If you're feeling like going for the gusto, take a wood dowel that is just smaller than the inside diameter of the neck of the case, fill the case with water, put the case in the appropriate shell holder for your press, stick the dowel down into the neck of the case and hit the end of it with a hammer. The primer will fly out and the water will go everywhere. It's a big ol' mess.

If anybody knows where to get Berdan primers, I'd be interested to know. I think Old Western Scrounger used to stock them, but last time I looked they didn't have any.

Berdans are not particularly fun to deal with, and not easy to find new primers. Its usually best to avoid reloading them unless you can't get boxer brass. You could always sell your berdan stuff for scrap.

Nothing wrong with working out the details on reloading berdan primed brass. Once you figure out how to replace them with a boxer primer, post the results. There may be a day where you will have no choice but to use the brass you have. I suggest the book "Homemade Ammo" Great book by the way.

You can form 8mm out of '06 brass, needs a trim afterward.

If you can decap one, try drilling out the anvil in the bottom of the pocket and then check it with a primer pocket reamer/uniformer and see if the pocket is too big for LR boxer primers. If the reamer doesn't rattle around in the pocket, you could possibly drill a smaller-than-normal (remember, there are 2 holes already) flash hole where the anvil is, then run the reamer into it to make sure the bottom is flat. PITA but anything is possible if you're stubborn enough.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top