JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A lot of nice set-ups here guys, but when I look at the pictures, I wonder how some of you load with any speed or consistency? It looks like a lot of hand switching and none of the scales are at or even close to eye level. Do you guys think to set up your loading stations for good flow or transition from one stage to the next? Just something that is not really talked about here. A reloading bench doesn't have to be big either. Keep it more compact and a good flow can be obtained. Keep your beam scale at or close to eye level so you can accurately measure your charge weights if you want to load anything precise. Not that my set-up is the best, but look at how the powder measure is offset (in the direction I sit) and the handle is on the left hand side. This is so I can use my right hand to transfer the powder pan over to the scale without having to switch hands. From there I trickle in the rest of the powder, then that powder gets dumped into the next case in the loading block. When every case is charged, the bullets get seated:
View attachment 622415
View attachment 622416
Loading isn't rocket science, but it should go smoothly and as easy as possible from one stage to the next. Just a thunk...;)
Well here's the wide angle shot and you can see I have that scale with the angle-up screen so I don't have to crane my neck to see it. I just use the Lee safety scale to keep the digital honest from time to time. I also have a Hornady scale and all three agree when calibrated so I feel confident in my measures. The Lee safety scale is not the best scale but I find mine to be surprisingly accurate. I haven't set up my Progressive or single stage in the trailer yet, but the Lee classic press has proved to be very versatile in the situation I'm in presently. I totally agree it should be an enjoyable experience and have some flow when you get down to cranking stuff out. I don't load any benchrest stuff, but most of my rounds (handgun or rifle) perform better than factory made stuff in my guns. I did order a 4in quick change riser from In Line. It raised the press a little bit off the table and made it more comfortable to throw rounds in the cramped space without having to shift position.

Nevermind the motor oil boxes in the background. I'm still unpacking haha.
20191005_235445.jpg

You and your Red Dot and Lee 105's on a portable lct set-up. :p. I have mine on my Black and Decker Workmate in the back of my travel trailer right now. Kinda makes me me nervous we're doing the same load at the same time. Just sayin'.o_O

View attachment 622413
Haha. Love my Red Dot! I've been using those powder coated slugs you made.. pretty sweet.

Removed the Aluminum Lee Breechlock and replaced with the cast:

4C3AB961-3F3E-4D90-A9BB-13927D8E8102.jpeg

2AFD97F3-8DFD-47E5-9943-8B732668BAC7.jpeg

My bench is still almost the same

I used to have my scale set on a small piece of plywood on top of two folger containers that were about the right height. Ifn ima gonna do professional work in "The Room", I built a scale condo.:s0140::s0140::s0140:

ACF528CE-1661-49DB-973C-2CE7F182ACC0.jpeg
Parked and out of the way
D899322B-7E7C-45EC-88B9-034257973858.jpeg
Out and ready for duty.
A64D0EC3-A47A-429D-97E9-AF7EFEB7308A.jpeg

I never liked having my scale on my reloading bench proper.. I mean it's a precision instrument and you're slamming on the table all the time.
I don't like having mine on the portable setup in the trailer but there's no where else to put it. At first each pull of the handle made the scale #s change and that's no good. So I went and got several full boxes and containers of those heavy lead bullets I cast and stacked them on top of some foam rubber on the base of the workmate, and made a stout bench top out of 1 1/4" sub floor. It soaked up most of the vibration and deflection and the scale doesn't fluctuate anymore.

A lot of nice set-ups here guys, but when I look at the pictures, I wonder how some of you load with any speed or consistency? It looks like a lot of hand switching and none of the scales are at or even close to eye level. Do you guys think to set up your loading stations for good flow or transition from one stage to the next? Just something that is not really talked about here. A reloading bench doesn't have to be big either. Keep it more compact and a good flow can be obtained. Keep your beam scale at or close to eye level so you can accurately measure your charge weights if you want to load anything precise. Not that my set-up is the best, but look at how the powder measure is offset (in the direction I sit) and the handle is on the left hand side. This is so I can use my right hand to transfer the powder pan over to the scale without having to switch hands. From there I trickle in the rest of the powder, then that powder gets dumped into the next case in the loading block. When every case is charged, the bullets get seated:

Loading isn't rocket science, but it should go smoothly and as easy as possible from one stage to the next. Just a thunk...;)

I'm just getting into reloading (Was gifted a RCBS Chucker from my Uncle who taught me this weekend) and this message hit home as I'm trying to figure out how to setup my station in the garage.

Question for you, with the dispenser, how often are you still using the scale to cartridge process? I have been expecting to avoid weighing every charge with the dispenser (1 in every 10 so at worse case I'd have 9 to "fix" if it got off).

Thanks for the pics and thoughts

I'm just getting into reloading (Was gifted a RCBS Chucker from my Uncle who taught me this weekend) and this message hit home as I'm trying to figure out how to setup my station in the garage.

Question for you, with the dispenser, how often are you still using the scale to cartridge process? I have been expecting to avoid weighing every charge with the dispenser (1 in every 10 so at worse case I'd have 9 to "fix" if it got off).

Thanks for the pics and thoughts

I use the single stage Rock Chucker.
I presume when you say "Dispenser" your referring to the powder thrower, not dispensing electronic scale. After I got comfortable charging one brass at a time, setting it in the loading block, grabbing another piece of brass, charging, loading block, etc, I now put 10-16 cases in the block and charge all 10-16, measure one/two, etc 'till I have 50 charged cases. then I seat bullets. My measuring every 10-16 charges is just for my piece of mind. I think it's just a good idea. Charging using the technique outlined below gives me very accurate, IMO, measures. I can't say for sure, but getting familiar with the scale like I have I would say my throws are within a tenth gram. Or better.

It's important that every time you work that handle on the powder thrower you do it the same. Up/down...clunk/clunk, same rhythm. Not too fast as the powder needs time to drop. If it sticks on a flake of powder, weight could vary. Weigh that one. Work on doing it the same every time. The same way you did when you set the thrower to your desired charge weight. Working the thrower the exact same way every time is where exact weights in the case come from. And using ball powders really helps with accurate throws. About that RSBS Uniflow. If it doesn't have the small cylinder that's better suited to pistol loads, get it. It's much easier to do handgun loads.

Kind of cluttered now but you can get the idea.

P1040794.JPG

My scale is always set in that area and zeroed, and doesn't move. I can see where that scale settles, and how it settles, just fine. Considering that I measure every 10-16 charges it's better my scale is where it is. The powder type that is in the thrower gets set right there with no other powder on the table.

Right hand holds loading block with empty cases/Left had works thrower. Left hand puts charged case in press/right had puts bullet in left hand/left hand seats bullet while right hand works press.

Going to roll high on the hog next large reloading batch session. Wife got me a comfortable stool.

CA4FAC7F-0AF4-4DA2-92AD-1F4AFE66EB53.jpeg
Have to keep comfy

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews