JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ducted the casting bench today :)

Something that seems like it would be so simple turned out to be slow work doing it solo.
ductwork1_zpstsxfwpil.jpg

ductwork3_zpsisz3qonh.jpg

Done!

Well, last step is to hardwire the fan w/ a relay that kills the fresh air damper :)

ductwork2_zpslpx7zugh.jpg

Last Edited:
Scrappydoo has the most decorative idea. That would look nice in any room of the house. Good thinking. However, my vote for the best set up has to go to bmgm37. I mean really though... one each. Really? Lol

Cast a couple hundred 401-145's tonight, and coated a few of those - The hood only has a 210CFM 'booster' fan, but it really works! The garage is fume free :)

coating_zpsopz9fkwi.jpg

I've only been at it about a year now. Still learning but have been making plenty of good rounds in the calibers that I shoot most often, with mostly good results.

I'm glad I started with the Hornady AP, in spite of most of my credible friends recommending that I start with a single stage press. It took a little longer to get to a point where I could go to work, and there were a few headaches along the way. But I still think it was a good way to get started.

I still fail to see the point in starting with a single stage press based on beginner status. Maybe ten years ago when information didn't exist so close to our fingertips.....but now it's easy to work through issues and there's likely already someone that had the same problem....and posted a video somewhere.

I see many variations in my future, including a single stage set-up. But for now, I've been having a great time learning and experimenting with my Hornady set up. Would recommend it to someone thinking of getting started...especially is pistol is your thing.

LoadingBench.jpg

LoadingBench1.jpg

I've only been at it about a year now. Still learning but have been making plenty of good rounds in the calibers that I shoot most often, with mostly good results.

I'm glad I started with the Hornady AP, in spite of most of my credible friends recommending that I start with a single stage press. It took a little longer to get to a point where I could go to work, and there were a few headaches along the way. But I still think it was a good way to get started.

I still fail to see the point in starting with a single stage press based on beginner status. Maybe ten years ago when information didn't exist so close to our fingertips.....but now it's easy to work through issues and there's likely already someone that had the same problem....and posted a video somewhere.

I see many variations in my future, including a single stage set-up. But for now, I've been having a great time learning and experimenting with my Hornady set up. Would recommend it to someone thinking of getting started...especially is pistol is your thing.

I can understand the single stage thing but I started with a Lee and love it still. Yes now for pistol I did purchase a SDB but still for rifle I will always use the SS. Just easier to make sure all is right.

Lol!! When raiders come they end up wanting me to fix their guns....
Benchrest I have a question about your setup.

Do you actually cast with that hood setup or just lube?

I have a Star lubrisizer setup on a alum plate with a heating element on it, no smoke..

Lol!! When raiders come they end up wanting me to fix their guns....
Benchrest I have a question about your setup.

Do you actually cast with that hood setup or just lube?

I have a Star lubrisizer setup on a alum plate with a heating element on it, no smoke..

Cast, and 'bake' - I coat w/ RAL (powdercoat) and bake em' in a toaster oven.

Although the inline fan is only rated at 210cfm (which it certainly isn't doing with the pipe run & 90s / 45s) it moves enough air to eliminate any nastiness.

Jason

Tinkered in the garage yesterday :)

Build at shelf for the press stands.

pressshelf1_zpsv6tcuy25.jpg

Now they have a place to live when not in use :)

pressshelf2_zpsnwsdffkv.jpg

Quick connect system is, well, pretty quick :)

Lets me swap from 3-hole to 4-hole to Pro1000 in about a minute :)

pressmount1_zpsofim3fjs.jpg

Pro1000 fully setup with bullet feed and collator :)

pro1000-1_zpsxye99enc.jpg

Kludged together a ramp / bin system for the completed rounds - Works quite well :)

pro1000bin_zpsmeg7sdyn.jpg

A lot going on in a small space, but it works :)

setup1000_zpssaalc6ux.jpg

benchrest,
ive been looking at pro1000s. obviously they are working for you. would you mind giving me some insight on them? pros? cons? likes? dislikes? any input would be much appreciated.

benchrest,
ive been looking at pro1000s. obviously they are working for you. would you mind giving me some insight on them? pros? cons? likes? dislikes? any input would be much appreciated.

Actually the Pro1000 is brand new (to me), and while I've tuned it, I'm waiting for the correct size bullet feed fingers to arrive before I'm really able to test it.

That said, I've read enough to know that I'll get along with it just fine - watching adjustments and replacing inexpensive plastic bits every now and then.

Now the auto-indexing three hole presses I love - cartridge change in seconds, thousands of rounds though mine without a glitch.

Not a lot of miles on the four-hole ( I only use for 10mm), so no real feedback on that model (other than I think the index rod clamp seems chintzy).

Actually the Pro1000 is brand new (to me), and while I've tuned it, I'm waiting for the correct size bullet feed fingers to arrive before I'm really able to test it.

That said, I've read enough to know that I'll get along with it just fine - watching adjustments and replacing inexpensive plastic bits every now and then.

Now the auto-indexing three hole presses I love - cartridge change in seconds, thousands of rounds though mine without a glitch.

Not a lot of miles on the four-hole ( I only use for 10mm), so no real feedback on that model (other than I think the index rod clamp seems chintzy).
thank you for taking the time to share your opinion.it seems like a great value for a progressive set up. i have watched a few youtube vids of guys just hammerin out rounds! im currently loading single stage and am lookin to speed up the process with my handgun loads.however, i will continue to single stage my rifle loads.

benchrest,

Avoid a 1000 at all costs.

Pain in the bubblegum to setup and tune.

Get a Lee 4 hole turret classic (with the FLAT BASE), trust me. Caliber changes are 15 seconds versus having to change the shell plate. So what if I'm not spitting out one round a pull. I still load a round every couple seconds.

Plus if one round screws up you stop the line, fix it then try and get back in sync again.

I went from a 1000 to turret and won't ever go back.

See above post for my bench setup. Single stage on left (you load from the right), turret to the right as you feed it from the left side. Perfect union and the both use the same primer arms, same bases.

The turret press uses a small square indexing bushing that wears out. $2.50 for them. Buy a few for extras. Figure 4-5000+ if you lube it a little before needing to replace it.

I would love to say more positive stuff about a 1000- but I can't.

Quality control each round at every step is much easier on a turret.

Any questions send me a message. I'll be glad to assist.

I move my bench with me. I use L.E. Wilson dies and a 21st Century shooter Arbor Press. RCBS loadmaster combo with a Redding trickler when I want to use one. Hornady analog dial calipers with comparitor. RCBS priming tool.

I also have a Hornady Case Prep station I use a couple times a year to trim brass and clean out primer pockets.

This way I can reload in the car or the hotel when varmint shooting. take my whole set up with me.

IMG_8531.JPG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads